Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Mulgrew willing to look at new contract offer

Aberdeen defender Charlie Mulgrew is ready to pledge his future to the club as he believes new manager Mark McGhee can help take his game to the next level.

Mulgrew is one of a number of Dons players entering the final year of their contracts at Pittodrie.

Director of football Willie Miller arrived at Aberdeen’s training camp in Austria last night to begin preliminary discussions about extending deals.

And Mulgrew, a 23-year-old former Scotland under-21 international who spent two seasons in England with Wolves and on loan at Southend, is not looking for the Pittodrie exit door after enjoying his first 12 months with the Dons.

He said: “This is a big club. I’ve enjoyed my time here. It has been great and I’m looking for that to continue.

“I’ve got a year left. I’ve not been offered anything yet, but if something comes up I’ll have a look at it and see what the situation is. Of course I’d be happy to stay here. I like it, I enjoy it, it’s a great club.

“The supporters took to me early on and I really appreciated that because it helps a lot.

“I felt I needed a season like I had last year. I never had a full season before so it was good for me. Hopefully this year I can do the same.â€

Mulgrew, along with the rest of the squad, is looking to impress the new manager and he believes McGhee can help him improve as a player.

He added: “I scored against Motherwell in the second game of last season with a free kick in the last minute. I think the manager will remember that one.

“He has been watching DVDs of games and that will definitely help. He’ll have an idea about me.

“Hopefully the new manager will have a good impact on the rest of the squad and me as well and hopefully we can do well.

“Look at the players he had at Motherwell and how they improved. He can only be good for me and the rest of the squad.

“He really knows what he’s talking about. He can definitely take my game to the next level.â€

Mulgrew will be free to play in the opening game of the new campaign after his astonishing red card against Rangers at the end of last season was rescinded.

The full-back was sent off after Light Blues forward Kyle Lafferty feigned injury – and it led to Mulgrew’s second unjust red card of the season.

He was also wrongly ordered off against Hibs for alleged handball on the goal line – despite forward Steven Fletcher firing the ball off his arm from an offside position.

Mulgrew hopes his bad luck has been spent ahead of the new season and said: “If that had stood, being suspended wouldn’t have been a good start to the season.

“I couldn’t believe I’d been sent off, but I knew at the time if they had another look I would be all right.

“It was just disappointing it happened at Ibrox. They are the games you want to be involved in and I only got 20 minutes.

“I don’t want to look back, but it was disappointing. Thankfully my name got cleared. These knock-backs just make you stronger.â€

Says all the right things, but slow news day obviously.