Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd would be good, 4th not end of world. 2nd or 1st better though

as long as we don't go out of cups to diddy teams or vanish under pressure against dross I'm happy enough not to necessarily win, just see a new mentality.

Europe will be a bit early, but groups would be a bonus for us and if we get there hopefully we've had time to gel.

The new season will be upon us before we know it - looks like Dirty Dingus will be the new boss.

It'll be his first season - when he has been shown to do well, but he'll have few of his own players if any.

What do you think the objectives and expectations should be for his inaugural season?

Mine...

League - Objective: 3rd, Expectation: 4th or better

Europa League - Objective: Group Stages, Expectation: Out in Q4 to a "big" team, otherwise expect groups but this will be a tall order such as it was a couple of years ago.

League Cup - Objective: Win, Expectation: Should only be beaten by any of 3 or 4 clubs.Scottish Cup - Objective: Win, Expectation: Should only be beaten by any of 3 or 4 clubs.

I suppose the objective should be to win everything - including the league, but realistically with our squad we can't progress on all fronts. Personally, I think progress in Europa is most important for the financial implications.

these dont include QOS, Queens Park or the pars do they??

He'll need time to get his own players in and put his own stamp on things.

Top four certainly, the cups are always a lottery but I think most of us know by now what constitutes a meek cup exit and what doesn't. European run would be nice too but it's not necessarily the be all and end all.

Hopefully those still harbouring bitterness at Jummy leaving will give the boy a chance and not pounce on his first mistake.

Statements like this are still trying to be divisive to the support - leave it out. He'll get a fair crack of the whip but you can't tell people how to behave towards the manager after the treatment dished out to JC. Like was said in another post, only time will tell if it was the right decision.

Also still harks back to the "JMG mob are better supporters - club you deserve" bullshit... The talk of morons.

I agree with your post Jager, but the bit in bold has been held up by those who are perhaps more staunch supporters of JC than myself.  The inferrence of "time will tell if it was the right decision" is that if McGhee messes up it means we shouldn't have got rid of JC.  That isn't correct. It is two different decisions and should be treated as such.  If people believe JC shouldn't have been given the dunt then that should be the case if McGhee goes on to do nothing for us or wins the cup double. 

The decision to sack Roy Aitken didn't become the wrong choice because Alex Miller was an abortion of a manager.

I know what yer saying Bobby - but it's my way of hedging my bets!  ;D

If it goes tits up, I get my "I told you so moment" haha

You are right - the gamble did have to be taken to save season ticket sales - it was the only decision. However, I still think only time will tell if it was the correct decision - but only from a hindsight perspective - and we all know how great (and unrealistic) hindsight is.

You won't be the only one!  ;D

JC is in a good position himself now, leaves after he's taken the club back into Europe and a couple of youngsters coming through the ranks too.  He's left a good enough legacy.  

I also think it may have done him a favour, the likelihood of Seve and Smith leaving, a squad looking a bit threadbare in the experience department and rather short on quality overall, we've perhaps done him a favour.  Again, only time will tell, but a new management team with new ideas and new signings is always an exciting time and I'm looking forward to it...until we're in the bottom six in March...  :thumbsup:

If we end up as a bottom 6 team with a string of failed managers that would say to me that it was the wrong decision.

I'm not saying that I wan't McGhee to fail. I will be delighted if he does well. It is however a bit rich for one of the main leaders of the JMG group to tell me how to behave towards the new manager after the way he made an arse of the Aberdeen support in the media.

The wrong decisions would be the managerial appointments.  You can't argue that Smith, W Miller, Aitken and Alex Miller all had to be relieved of their duties, can you? The fact the next guys ended up shit doesn't mean they should have kept their jobs at that time, surely?*

*(I'm not saying that JC's had taken us to those depths, of course but things were rather stale, no progress in the cups etc)

going from stability to instability would be good enough proof for me.

The time was up for JC. If the club make bad appointments then those decisions are wrong. JC may well have stayed here, been given no cash to spend and had a nightmare season. We don't know, and anyone who pretends they do is lying.

Statements like this are still trying to be divisive to the support - leave it out. He'll get a fair crack of the whip but you can't tell people how to behave towards the manager after the treatment dished out to JC. Like was said in another post, only time will tell if it was the right decision.

Also still harks back to the "JMG mob are better supporters - club you deserve" bullshit... The talk of morons.

There is no JMG mob anymore.

Of course folk can behave how they like, but looking through some threads on here there's a lot of speculation about what those who opposed the previous manager will say when mistakes are made under the new reigime. Will leave the inevitable point scoring to others who wish to hang on to the past, if people want to keep repeating that the talk of the protest did nothing till their blood vessels burst then thats up to them. You won't see any "I told you so" quotes coming from me.

I hope Aberdeen get the success that they deserve and I hope everyone can get behind the new boss and move on. Jimmy has gone now, and harking back to that all the time will achieve nothing.

Jimmy needed to go because he didn't even recognise the long standing mistakes he was making were mistakes and would quite happily have ploughed on regardless.

The time was up for JC. If the club make bad appointments then those decisions are wrong. JC may well have stayed here, been given no cash to spend and had a nightmare season. We don't know, and anyone who pretends they do is lying.

I think it was the right decision but that's not to say if it goes tits up we should still feel we'd have probably been better off with JC.

If only you could have listened to people saying to get behind the boss when we still had Europe to play for. Which he succeeded in doing.

Yeah if only we'd have got behind him. That could have been the difference between making Europe and making Europe  :-\

He'll need time to get his own players in and put his own stamp on things.

Top four certainly, the cups are always a lottery but I think most of us know by now what constitutes a meek cup exit and what doesn't. European run would be nice too but it's not necessarily the be all and end all.

Hopefully those still harbouring bitterness at Jummy leaving will give the boy a chance and not pounce on his first mistake.

So under JC, going out of cups was a disgrace but under our new boss, cup draws are a "lottery"?

You really are a dick.

I don't need an idiot like you to tell me to support the team I support.

And I don't need an idiot like you to tell me I should have backed the manager in an effort to get us into Europe when we, like, did get into Europe anyway.

You fairly made an arse out of that, ma loon.

So under JC, going out of cups was a disgrace but under our new boss, cup draws are a "lottery"?

You really are a dick.

See if you bold one part of a post it doesn't mean the rest of the sentence you didn't bold wasn't there.

Pint in Hubbards?

There is no JMG mob anymore.

Of course folk can behave how they like, but looking through some threads on here there's a lot of speculation about what those who opposed the previous manager will say when mistakes are made under the new reigime. Will leave the inevitable point scoring to others who wish to hang on to the past, if people want to keep repeating that the talk of the protest did nothing till their blood vessels burst then thats up to them. You won't see any "I told you so" quotes coming from me.

I hope Aberdeen get the success that they deserve and I hope everyone can get behind the new boss and move on. Jimmy has gone now, and harking back to that all the time will achieve nothing.

Jimmy needed to go because he didn't even recognise the long standing mistakes he was making were mistakes and would quite happily have ploughed on regardless.

I don't think there will be any point scoring, there will be no I told you so's.

However for everyone, the minimum expectations, must have increased. I'd like to think though that those that were willing to grant Jimmy his "achievements". Will be as willing to grant someone else, meeting those same expectations, the same respect.

In the long term if McGhee, or whoever, can maintain what Jimmy did for this club there will be no complaints from me. I'd like to think that the club will not go backwards and hope that we can maybe improve, however slight.  

I'm not sure if the rabid mob will be as willing to afford the latest incumbent the same respect. Especially if as is predicted it is McGhee, given his quite obvious prostituting of himself for the Celtic job. Honestly, how long before I read "Bin the bubba jawed Tim cunt! He's taken us as far as he can, one good season at Motherwell he's been shit everywhere else".

As far as I can see the only point scoring here is coming from Brian, esteemed leader of the JMG 3! Future NAFCMG ring leader. Frankly, I actually doubt whether anyone would even bother trawling through the threads in 3 years time to point score against you!!

To answer the original question I'd like to think we would make the Europa League, finish at least Fourth in the league and make at least Quarter finals in both cup competitions. I'd like at least Paton and Pawlett to be regular starters by the end of the season, and the club to post favourable financial figures for the financial year 09/10. i.e. Things that I think Jimmy was perfectly capable of providing.

westenddon, a few questions to get back on topic...

1. Out of the candidates touted for the afc job, was Mark McGhee your first choice?

2. What would be an acceptable league position come May next year?

3. At what round would being knocked out of the cup not be a 'disgrace'?

4. How would you feel if McGhee brought players of the calibre of Bob Malcolm to our club?

As far as I can see the only point scoring here is coming from Brian, esteemed leader of the JMG 3! Future NAFCMG ring leader. Frankly, I actually doubt whether anyone would even bother trawling through the threads in 3 years time to point score against you!!

If you have a look at the hat I've actually been getting quite agitated at folk who're already doubting McGhee's credentials just because of all the Celtic shite. It shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference and I've no doubt that he'll give 100% the second he walks through the door.

Have a wee look at some of the other threads on here Baggy, folk are still going on and on about the "retards" who protested and expressing anger that they're claiming victory even though there's been pretty much zero gloating apart from a fishing trip by oor mini. You'd be hard pushed to find many mentions of the protest over on the Hat, far less gloating or anything like that. If I'm having a look on here then I'm still going to stick up for myself being there, but if there's folk who just think we did it for the sake of protesting then there's not really too much chance of changing minds.

Sweary words and mocking are fine by me and to be expected and I can give almost as good as I get, would rather have a proper conversation about it though.

1. Out of the candidates touted for the afc job, was Mark McGhee your first choice?

Eric Black was to be honest, although I've always thought he was maybe a bit beyond our reach due to his cushy job down south. McGhee was a close second. Did a really good job on very little money at Motherwell and thought the way he handled himself around the time of the O'Donnell tragedy was exemplary.

In other words, I think he can do good where the previous manager failed.

2. What would be an acceptable league position come May next year??

Certainly Top 4 is what we should be looking at, depending on how we do in the other competitions. The knives won't be out from me if we're fifth, the attitude of the manager and way we go about things will be a big factor in how well the new guy does for Aberdeen.

3. At what round would being knocked out of the cup not be a 'disgrace'

We could draw Rangers and Celtic away in the 4th round of both cups and be out, but then we could get to the semis of both and lost to Partick and Morton. As I've said, it's clear what a meek cup exit is and what an "understandable" cup exit is.

4. How would you feel if McGhee brought players of the calibre of Bob Malcolm to our club?

It completely depends, I'd be very sceptical if he was the typical of the "big" signing under McGhee but if he had his role in the team and it functioned well with him there then I'd have little problem with that.

To put it another way, I'd start to have a problem if McGhee saw good things in his signings that the rest of the fans just couldn't see (e.g what Calderwood saw in the likes of Young)

We did it despite you turning your back on the team. While you were making an arse of the whole support by getting into bed with the media the rest of us kept supporting the team.

Fuckwit.

What in the name of Christ are you on about you gormless halfwit?

How can we make an arse of the whole support if only 6 folk turned up as tubes like you are claiming? Where did you see anybody saying the whole support was being represented? How did the protest affect anything that happened on the pitch? How does me turning up to games and cheering them on for 90 minutes equate to me turning my back on the team?

Or is all this just penis envy?

Jesus fucking christ.

I suspect the bitterness or pouncing will be done by the same retards that started on JC.

Reactionary tits to a man.

Same kind of finishes in the league and, it has to be a cup win otherwise it's the same old routine really isn't it?