Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Don of a new era.........

Mr Mcghee the seat is all yours.

Whilst im not going to get into the "Who was best manager since fergie" debate i do have the following to say.

Today is a happy day for stoney, some of you think i didnt have much time for Calderwood, truth is in the past 2 and a bit years you would be correct, but today is a little bit of a sad day too.

In Jimmys first year with us he inherited some great young players, backed up with signing experianced players (seve, barry nic and lovell) to bring them on, the perfect mix. Its fair to say after the season before i was fairly excited by the season that was to follow and i wasnt dissapointed. First season in the job is always getting the team to the way you like it and building up a good team  we even had an outside chance of Europe- Passed with flying colours couldnt be happier with him.

2nd Season - wasnt the greatest but we were still playing decent football, never left a game early we were unlucky that hearts and hibs were flying that season and had money to spend. Plus we had an excellent team, a natural leader (in anderson) an international standard midfield (seve at the time was playing his best stuff, nicolson after taking a year to settle in was playing well, and we all knew what jamie smith could do on his day)

3rd Season - Started off the season like a house on fire, we were flying in the league playing some of the best football i had seen us play, couldnt be happier with calderwood he was doing a fantastic job - we looked a nap to finish 2nd that season, i remember it quite well that we had rangers at pittodrie to go 6 points clear of them, it was like something changed over night and we were scared to get beat in that game, for some reason we changed the whole way we played in that season to accomodate rangers, i have no idea why to this day but we ended up getting beat of a very shite rangers team and i started to think that calderwood didnt have a clue what he was doing.

A few weeks later we were playing worse and worse and we got humped badly from hibs (first game i have ever left early at the time) kept hearing calderwood talk more and more about other teams instead of having faith in his own players, we had a great team at that time and i felt that if we had a better manager we could have finished 2nd that season.

4th Season was the beggining of the end if you take the euro trips out of that season it was awful we took a massive step backwards in my opinion i cant remember wanting to stay till the end of many games, the last straw for me was the QOTS game think he should have walked after that game, quite dissapointed its taken him so long to jack it in, would have still had some respect for him if he walked last season, altho there isnt a massive differance in the home attendances the away support is well down on what it was and also the supporters are a lot less vocal.

Whilst i give Calderwood the credit he deserves for making us hard to beat and very solid i feel in his past two years that we became a team scared to get beat and hence never really had a great run of consistant wins. Too many stupid draws against lesser teams, if he left us at the start of the 07/08 season i honestly think we would have had some success in the cups by now, we put hearts and united in their place and they have crept back on us - i think this season was a wasted season.

Im not sure about mcghee he's done a good job with motherwell on a third of our budget and also has worked well with the young players they have, which is what we are going to have to relay on, i dont think the next manager is going to get the backing that calderwood has, and i think a reverse effect of this season on any new manager, i think the JIG will make it very difficult for us to have the chance to rebuild. Whoever comes in he's going to need the same two years that calderwood had to get the show on the road.

I dont believe our fans have the patience for this.

Good luck Mark - You are going to need.

COYR

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst im not going to get into the "Who was best manager since fergie" debate i do have the following to say.

Today is a happy day for stoney, some of you think i didnt have much time for Calderwood, truth is in the past 2 and a bit years you would be correct, but today is a little bit of a sad day too.

In Jimmys first year with us he inherited some great young players, backed up with signing experianced players (seve, barry nic and lovell) to bring them on, the perfect mix. Its fair to say after the season before i was fairly excited by the season that was to follow and i wasnt dissapointed. First season in the job is always getting the team to the way you like it and building up a good team  we even had an outside chance of Europe- Passed with flying colours couldnt be happier with him.

2nd Season - wasnt the greatest but we were still playing decent football, never left a game early we were unlucky that hearts and hibs were flying that season and had money to spend. Plus we had an excellent team, a natural leader (in anderson) an international standard midfield (seve at the time was playing his best stuff, nicolson after taking a year to settle in was playing well, and we all knew what jamie smith could do on his day)

3rd Season - Started off the season like a house on fire, we were flying in the league playing some of the best football i had seen us play, couldnt be happier with calderwood he was doing a fantastic job - we looked a nap to finish 2nd that season, i remember it quite well that we had rangers at pittodrie to go 6 points clear of them, it was like something changed over night and we were scared to get beat in that game, for some reason we changed the whole way we played in that season to accomodate rangers, i have no idea why to this day but we ended up getting beat of a very shite rangers team and i started to think that calderwood didnt have a clue what he was doing.

A few weeks later we were playing worse and worse and we got humped badly from hibs (first game i have ever left early at the time) kept hearing calderwood talk more and more about other teams instead of having faith in his own players, we had a great team at that time and i felt that if we had a better manager we could have finished 2nd that season.

4th Season was the beggining of the end if you take the euro trips out of that season it was awful we took a massive step backwards in my opinion i cant remember wanting to stay till the end of many games, the last straw for me was the QOTS game think he should have walked after that game, quite dissapointed its taken him so long to jack it in, would have still had some respect for him if he walked last season, altho there isnt a massive differance in the home attendances the away support is well down on what it was and also the supporters are a lot less vocal.

Whilst i give Calderwood the credit he deserves for making us hard to beat and very solid i feel in his past two years that we became a team scared to get beat and hence never really had a great run of consistant wins. Too many stupid draws against lesser teams, if he left us at the start of the 07/08 season i honestly think we would have had some success in the cups by now, we put hearts and united in their place and they have creeped back on us - i think this season was a wasted season.

Im not sure about mcghee he's done a good job with motherwell on a third of our budget and also has worked well with the young players they have, which is what we are going to have to relay on, i dont think the next manager is going to get the backing that calderwood has, and i think a reverse effect of this season on any new manager, i think the JIG will make it very difficult for us to have the chance to rebuild. Whoever comes in he's going to need the same two years that calderwood had to get the show on the road.

COYR

JIG!!, ye honestly dinnae believe that shyte do you? - why are we always trying to create divisions within oor support? this JIG pish was just a way of labelling folk who didnae toe the party line - you're either with us or a JIG, good grief  ::)

Whilst i give Calderwood the credit he deserves for making us hard to beat and very solid i feel in his past two years that we became a team scared to get beat and hence never really had a great run of consistant wins. Too many stupid draws against lesser teams, if he left us at the start of the 07/08 season i honestly think we would have had some success in the cups by now, we put hearts and united in their place and they have crept back on us - i think this season was a wasted season.

COYR

What/who is/are the JIG?  I've never met anyone who claims to be a JIGger and always assumed it was a fabrication.

I personally don't think McGhee is the man for the job at all.  One good season then it all seems to get a bit shaky.  He also has a history of being disloyal to clubs.

What/who is/are the JIG?  I've never met anyone who claims to be a JIGger and always assumed it was a fabrication.

I personally don't think McGhee is the man for the job at all.  One good season then it all seems to get a bit shaky.  He also has a history of being disloyal to clubs.

Yip, ye cannae even have differing opinions now without being labeled a JIG'er or a happy clapper - its all rather feckin depressing

Ban the internet!!!

I don't know if these JIGers exist but I do know (hope) that all those on here who have defended JC over the last 2 years will give the new man their full support and backing (unless it is Jim Jeffries) and will refrain from the constant "told you so sniping" that the JMGers (sic) seem to delight in, hopefully

I don't know if these JIGers exist but I do know (hope) that all those on here who have defended JC over the last 2 years will give the new man their full support and backing (unless it is Jim Jeffries) and will refrain from the constant "told you so sniping" that the JMGers (sic) seem to delight in, hopefully

Fuck that! If Mark McGhee is manager and we finish in the bottom 6 next season I'll be right in there with the told you so! ;)

Fuck that! If Mark McGhee is manager and we finish in the bottom 6 next season I'll be right in there with the told you so! ;)

See I don't share this hostility to McGhee.

I hope JC's legacy isn't a terminally divided support, but I doubt it, despite what Stoney and others may say

I will give 100% backing to whomever it may be, but feel the need to state as I have done on numerous occassions that Dingus is not my prefered choice

See I don't share this hostility to McGhee.

I hope JC's legacy isn't a terminally divided support, but I doubt it, despite what Stoney and others may say

I was only joking...kinda.

It's nothing against McGhee personally. It's the fact that I don't rate him as any better than Calderwood yet those who have been so vocally JMG this season think he is the messiah, and his record certainly doesn't prove that (knocked out the cups to first division teams on more than one occasion). I will support him if he comes in, naturally, and will be delighted if he does well - but like Al he is definitely not my preferred choice. I don't want anyone from within the SPL, we need somebody fresh. I also don't necessarily agree with appointing "legends" just because they were great players for us, it inevitably sours a relationship. See C Brewster and Dundee United as an example. If McGhee was to come in, and did badly, it would be interesting to see if he got a hard time from the same fans who gave Jimmy a hard time, or if not being a fat orange hun will make any difference.

Can you copy and paste that into the last bit of my post, thanks  :thumbsup:

It's nothing against McGhee personally. It's the fact that I don't rate him as any better than Calderwood yet those who have been so vocally JMG this season think he is the messiah, and his record certainly doesn't prove that (knocked out the cups to first division teams on more than one occasion). I will support him if he comes in, naturally, and will be delighted if he does well - but like Al he is definitely not my preferred choice. I don't want anyone from within the SPL, we need somebody fresh. I also don't necessarily agree with appointing "legends" just because they were great players for us, it inevitably sours a relationship. See C Brewster and Dundee United as an example. If McGhee was to come in, and did badly, it would be interesting to see if he got a hard time from the same fans who gave Jimmy a hard time, or if not being a fat orange hun will make any difference.

Sums up my feelings on the situation, entirely.

Well said that woman  :thumbsup:

I think i'm big enough to accept a new manager without holding a grudge against the club, i don't agree with the people who wanted Jimmy ousted but life goes on.  For every arguement I've made about why I'm so disappointed about yesterdays events, BobbyBiscuit, glasgow sheep, or whoever, has come back with a perfectly good arguement why it was the correct decision.

Bottom line is AFC will go on regardless of who the manager is.  I hope the club goes from strength to strength.  I'm desperate for a cup final victory.  I'd love to see some exciting football at Pittodrie.

Aberdeen Football club is all that matters here.  There won't be any sniping from me.

I think i'm big enough to accept a new manager without holding a grudge against the club, i don't agree with the people who wanted Jimmy ousted but life goes on.  For every arguement I've made about why I'm so disappointed about yesterdays events, BobbyBiscuit, glasgow sheep, or whoever, has come back with a perfectly good arguement why it was the correct decision.

Bottom line is AFC will go on regardless of who the manager is.  I hope the club goes from strength to strength.  I'm desperate for a cup final victory.  I'd love to see some exciting football at Pittodrie.

Aberdeen Football club is all that matters here.  There won't be any sniping from me.

Thats all we want.......Jimmy wasnt the man to give us this.

Well said. I don't think we should be going for anyone in the SPL because I don't think it will be a step forward. McGhee was a winner as a player so he does have the winning mentality, but I just don't think he's consistent enough. Whoever comes into our club, I will give them my full support.

:thumbsup:

You're spot on in what you say there. Should be remembered though that people weren't slow in calling for Willie Miller's head in 95. It may not have been to the same level, or even have half the venom shown towards other managers, but if Miller wasn't bulletproof, no one else is going to be.

:clap:

Why does near enough everyone who wanted JC to go think that McGhee is the answer?

He seems less qualified than Calderwood.

He is also a Weegie.

;D

"fuckin' weegies" more or less ARE Aberdeen FC.

:wave:

:clap:

Why does near enough everyone who wanted JC to go think that McGhee is the answer?

He seems less qualified than Calderwood.

He is also a Weegie.

;D

"fuckin' weegies" more or less ARE Aberdeen FC.

:wave:

Technically speaking, he's a Cumbernauldian (I think I just made that word up). He went to the same school as me. Obviously several years apart.

My thoughts on recent matters:

Looking back over JCs tenure there is no doubt that he brought back some form of respectability to the club, and for that he has my gratitude. From the dark days of Skovdahl and Paterson we’ve seen some fantastic sights: European football (great performances against Bayern Munich, Dnipro, Copenhagen and Lokomotiv Moscow) and wins against the Old Firm at Pittodrie and Celtic Park. There are regrets too, namely the horrific cup record: missing out on finals against lower league opposition, humiliation at the hands of Dundee United, the continued Ibrox hoodoo, the foot-in-mouth PR skills, lack of silverware and of course the mind numbingly turgid football at times.

After humiliations to QOTS and Queens Park in previous seasons, the defeat to Dunfermline in the cup earlier this season (in my view) was grounds for instant dismissal, however it wasn’t the right time while the opportunity for Europe remained. After reflection, I’m convinced that now is right time for him to have gone. 5 years is more than a fair period of time for him to have made an impact on the team and it is clear we are stagnating.

‘Steadying the ship’ & ‘bringing back respectability’ – these are the things that I think JC will be remembered (and hopefully credited for). He’s built a platform upon which we must now build and progress, but he was never the man to take us there. As a club I think we have to look at what we want to achieve next and plan accordingly. What do we want as a club? A cup? European football every season? To challenge the Old Firm?

Yes to all of the above, but simply changing the manager and giving him the same limited resources won’t get us anywhere near that.  What is needed is a step change in thinking at the club, from top to bottom. From reports so far, I believe that the decision to award a new contract to JC and his team has cost us in the region of £1M. If true, I would seriously question the judgement of whoever approved that contract, and I’d certainly question the ability of that person to identify and attract the right calibre of manager to help us reach that next level.

I’m very underwhelmed by some of the names that have been suggested so far. I also agree about being very wary of sentimentality when appointing a new manager. It may appease the fans initially (which may be the right thing that is needed now), but once the honeymoon period is over it makes for a very difficult relationship when (yes, when) things don’t go well.

This moment is a great opportunity for all at AFC, but I think we are more vulnerable than ever. The next manager has to be very careful not to undo the work that JC has done, yet must make enough of an impact to meet the fans expectations….Because now I will be expecting silverware, I will be expecting European football on a regular basis and I will be expecting an end to the bland, unattractive, feckless football.

The bar has been set, its now time for the board to pick the right man for the job. Good luck, you have my full support whoever you are*.

*Apart from Jim Jeffries, who I have already said can get to fuck.