Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

10 Signings

Argyle sign McNamee

18:37 - 15-July-2008

2 readers have commented on this story.

Click here to read their views.

PLYMOUTH Argyle have today signed versatile Scottish international defender David McNamee

McNamee joins the Greens after being released by the Pilgrims' Coca-Cola Championship rivals Coventry City.

The 27-year-old Glaswegian has signed a two-year deal, and joins countrymen Steve MacLean, Chris Clark and Jim Paterson in the Argyle squad.

The capture of McNamee represents the culmination of a long-term interest in the full-back from Pilgrims' manager Paul Sturrock.

“I've tried to sign him a couple of times,†confirmed Luggy.

Click here!

“He's a very versatile defender, who can play in several positions, and he's very quick.â€

According to this we're only signing two more:

Price will have to be Wright for Dons

Money is stumbling block

By Andrew Moir

Published: 17/07/2008

ABERDEEN’S move for Darlington striker Tommy Wright is in real danger of collapse.

The 23-year-old hitman has told friends he’s happy to remain in England, and will only head north if a Dons deal proves lucrative.

Jimmy Calderwood is quickly running out of patience following the transfer saga, and wants an answer tomorrow.

The Dons boss certainly won’t be held to ransom with Darlington demanding more than the £75,000 they have been offered.

“We will definitely sign another striker,†said Calderwood.

“Whether that’s Tommy Wright or not remains to be seen.

“But I’ll know exactly what’s happening by tomorrow because it has gone on for too long now.â€

Calderwood is ready to invite two players to Pittodrie on trial to end his long running striker search.

The Aberdeen manager has regularly brought players in on trial as he looks for fresh talent.

And he’s ready to go down that route again.

The Dons boss has still to chose what area of his squad needs further reinforcements as he looks to land the final two new arrivals.

He added: “I have other options and if everything falls through with Tommy I’ll take a player in on trial at the weekend and maybe another one across to Holland.

“Once we sign another striker, then there will probably only be room for one more new player.

“We’ll have to decide if we are going to spend the money on a right back or in another area.

“But I am happy with the progress we’ve made during the summer as we have brought in some very good players in key positions.â€

Calderwood still hasn’t had a definitive answer from Alan Maybury on his future.

However, it looks increasingly unlikely that there’s any chance of the Republic of Ireland cap staying at Pittodrie.

Dons chief Willie Miller has already been planning for life in the SPL next season without the former Hearts man.

Calderwood is almost resigned to losing him.

“I don’t know what Alan is planning as I haven’t heard from him lately,†he said.

“He seems to have a few options he’s exploring.â€

Maybury’s current deal with Leicester City runs until the end of July and is delaying making a decision until that expires.

If Calderwood opts to add another attacking player to his squad, that would leave Lee Mair, Stuart Duff and Richard Foster to battle it out for the right back spot.  :hammer:

All three have occupied that position for the Dons and the fight for the jersey is about to begin.

Recent recruit Charlie Mulgrew is expected to nail down the left back berth before the new season kicks off against Inverness Caley at Pittodrie on August 9.

Mulgrew reports for training on Monday.

• 1 month later...

I think Jimmy's done pretty well in the transfer market with the players he's brought in and gotten rid of.  Still think we need a centre half and a winger, so hopefully we can bring in one more player today.

In

1. Sammy Stewart - Glenavon

2. Bertrand Bossu - Walsall

3. Gary McDonald - Oldham - Slowly developing into a good capture

4. Charlie Mulgrew - Wolves - Class player, hopefully he'll be here for longer than his two year contract

5. Mark Kerr - Dundee United - Has added some steel to the midfield which we lacked last year

6. Tommy Wright - Darlington

7. Jared Hodgkiss - West Brom

Out

Steve Lovell - Never hut the heights

Richie Byrne - Bar the Copenhagen game, he was awful

Barry Nicholson - Would've been great to keep hold of him

Dan Smith - Pointless human being  ;D

Karim Touzani - Frustrating player, great some days then clueless the next

Derek Soutar - Just wasn't good enough

Alan Maybury - Good player, but he should've been told where to go long before we finally did

With the exception of mulgrew i think we are much weaker then last season  ::)

Cmon JC get some talent in

Not sure if we are much weaker, I suspect we are more defensive in terms of our midfield which will not exactly help feed the hunger for attacking football. However, I think we could be a stronger side in terms of conceding possession and goals. It could be worse, we could have signed Sol Bamba  ;) Thank fuck for JC and the Sol sign ban (see what I did there )

Not sure if we are much weaker, I suspect we are more defensive in terms of our midfield which will not exactly help feed the hunger for attacking football. However, I think we could be a stronger side in terms of conceding possession and goals. It could be worse, we could have signed Sol Bamba  ;) Thank fuck for JC and the Sol sign ban (see what I did there )

Talk about stretching an obscure reference...

That's the way (uh-huh uh-huh) I like it, though  :thumbsup:

I think Jimmy's done pretty well in the transfer market with the players he's brought in and gotten rid of.  Still think we need a centre half and a winger, so hopefully we can bring in one more player today.

In

1. Sammy Stewart - Glenavon

2. Bertrand Bossu - Walsall

3. Gary McDonald - Oldham - Slowly developing into a good capture

4. Charlie Mulgrew - Wolves - Class player, hopefully he'll be here for longer than his two year contract

5. Mark Kerr - Dundee United - Has added some steel to the midfield which we lacked last year

6. Tommy Wright - Darlington

7. Jared Hodgkiss - West Brom

Out

Steve Lovell - Never hut the heights

Richie Byrne - Bar the Copenhagen game, he was awful

Barry Nicholson - Would've been great to keep hold of him

Dan Smith - Pointless human being  ;D

Karim Touzani - Frustrating player, great some days then clueless the next

Derek Soutar - Just wasn't good enough

Alan Maybury - Good player, but he should've been told where to go long before we finally did

As predicted...  :thumbsup:

The Dons have confirmed the signing of Birmingham City winger Sone Aluko on a three year deal. The 19 year old, who made a substantial impact when he spent last season at Pittodrie on loan from the Blues, had been at Championship side Blackpool during August, having signed on an emergency loan deal.

Aberdeen Director of Football Willie Miller is delighted that the England Under 19 international has agreed to return to the north east. "We all know what Sone is capable of and he's a flair player who has the ability to change the course of a game. Sone himself also knows what to expect and the fact he's agreed to come here permanently is testimony to how much enjoyed his time at Aberdeen.

"I'm sure our fans will be delighted with the news and, having pulled out all the stops to make this one happen, that will be it as far as this transfer window is concerned with Sone joining Charlie Mulgrew, Gary McDonald, Mark Kerr, Tommy Wright, Bertrand Bossu and Sammy Stewart in the squad. I would also like to publicly thank Alex McLeish for his assistance throughout the negotiations as that was instrumental in ensuring everything went smoothly."

A product of the Birmingham youth system, Sone made his first team debut at City on 28th August 2007, joining the Dons on loan three days later. He played twenty games for Aberdeen, scoring three times, before returning south at the end of last season.