Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Nicholson Out - Shoulder Injury...

From Sporting Life:

Nicholson Blow For Dons

Mon 12 Mar, 02:09 PM

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood fears Barry Nicholson could be out for several weeks after the midfielder suffered a shoulder injury in Saturday's 1-0 win over Hearts.

The former Dunfermline player will definitely miss Tuesday's match at Motherwell and Calderwood does not know how lengthy Nicholson's absence may be.

He said: "Barry might be out for a few weeks and we don't know the full extent of the damage yet as he is trying to see a surgeon at the moment.

"He is in an awful lot of discomfort from his shoulder blade and although we don't think he will need an operation, it is a painful thing.

"It is a big blow for us because he is a quality player and you could see that when he created a pass out of nothing for our goal against Hearts.

"We will certainly miss him, but injuries are part and parcel of football, so if we are only going to have to cope without one player from our 23-man squad, then that is not too bad."

Calderwood can at least call on Darren Mackie after he was declared fit for the trip to Fir Park.

The club's top scorer missed the victory over Hearts following a bout of tonsilitis which forced him to miss an entire week of training.

An early goal from Steve Lovell ensured Aberdeen managed without Mackie but Calderwood was disappointed that the Dons failed to score more goals.

He added: "It was a strong performance and it is difficult when the pitches are dry, but I thought that any good football that was played came from us.

"We dominated the game from start to finish and I don't think our goalkeeper Jamie Langfield had any saves to make.

"We deserved to score more goals than we did and the only disappointment is that we weren't able to get them."

Footnoe to the previous post on Kingston. 

He gets a 2nd Yellow in a game when it should have been a red - Hitting from behind with obvious intent to injure and then makes racist comments to the ref before leaving and in the media scrum.

His suspension... 2 games ???:o

I would love to see the referee's report on this one.

Footnoe to the previous post on Kingston. 

He gets a 2nd Yellow in a game when it should have been a red - Hitting from behind with obvious intent to injure and then makes racist comments to the ref before leaving and in the media scrum.

His suspension... 2 games ???:o

I would love to see the referee's report on this one.

I could be wrong but I think the two game ban is solely for his first sending off and he has still to be dealt with for his reaction to that. I'm sure I read that on the BBC or in the paper.

Even so, only 2 games for ASSAULTING a player on the park?

As said previously in this thread it should have been a straight red!

He shouldn't even have still been on the pitch IMO due to his reaction to his 1st yellow. I've seen players off for much less.

Just passing on what I read.

Wasn't at the game and only saw a quick clip on the telly so can't really comment on the challenge, except to say it looked pretty reckless at first viewing.

Even so, only 2 games for ASSAULTING a player on the park?

As said previously in this thread it should have been a straight red!

He shouldn't even have still been on the pitch IMO due to his reaction to his 1st yellow. I've seen players off for much less.

Just passing on what I read.

Wasn't at the game and only saw a quick clip on the telly so can't really comment on the challenge, except to say it looked pretty reckless at first viewing.

Take it from me, he should have been off/carded long before the second half.  The challenge on Nicholson was the last in a series of reckless, persistent fouls.

He definitely should have been sent off before he was.

So many fouls it was unbelievable.

I reckon lithuania were lucky to finish with 10!

Some of the reactions from their players to decisions, bookings etc was disgraceful, bunch of headless chickens for 90 mins!

Gordon should have been booked as well for the way he was going mental at the linesman.