Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Calderwood given Dons cash pledge

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/7449388.stm

Aberdeen have assured manager Jimmy Calderwood and Dons' supporters that the club will bolster the squad in time for next season.

After agreeing a two-year shirt sponsorship deal with Team Recruitment, Dons managing director Duncan Fraser said the team would be strengthened.

"We're investing £1m more in the football budget than when Jimmy arrived in 2004," he said.

The Dons finished fourth in the SPL last season.

Aberdeen profited from a Uefa Cup run which included games against Bayern Munich and FC Copenhagen.

But they crashed out of the semi-finals of the CIS Cup and Scottish Cup against Dundee United and Queen of the South, respectively.

And Calderwood was concerned that the cup exits could impact on his transfer budget for next season.

However, Fraser said the club were determined to improve the playing squad.

"We always look at ways and means of strengthening the squad," he said.

"We can see for the foreseeable future that sort of money being ploughed back into the product."

Fraser also said Dons fans should not think that signing players who do not command a transfer fee was not a sign of a lack of ambition.

"If a player is out of contract and is coming as a 'Bosman', the player has expectation levels of what a club would get for him if he was under contract," he said.

"So, Bosmans should not be seen as free transfers. There is generally quite a bit of cash involved in those deals as well."

Probably isn't too much in it other than a bit of PR trying to keep people excited to buy strips and season tickets.

Its not the fact we are looking at bosman siginings that concerns me its more the standard of player we are looking at that concerns me. McDonald apart all of the other players we have looked at are guys who are not wanted by their existing clubs which does not fill me with confidence that they will be of the standard to take the club forward.

Guest swaddon
There is generally quite a bit of cash involved in those deals as well.

Not used £20 notes in brown envelopes, I hope. :o

Its not the fact we are looking at bosman siginings that concerns me its more the standard of player we are looking at that concerns me. McDonald apart all of the other players we have looked at are guys who are not wanted by their existing clubs which does not fill me with confidence that they will be of the standard to take the club forward.

Quality over effort :) give me ten derek youngs :)

United wanted shot of Lee Miller and we want shot of Lovell.  Sometimes it just doesn't click with certain players at certain clubs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/7449388.stm

Probably isn't too much in it other than a bit of PR trying to keep people excited to buy strips and season tickets.

£1m more in the football budget... but over how long? Earlier this year, they were trumpteing the fact that JC would have £1.3m to spend. Reading the small print showed that this was over 3 years and was expected to be used for players' wages and not just transfer fees. That works out at an extra two players on £3k a week over those three years, assuming that they come in on free transfers with minimal signing-on fees.

There is absolutely no way in the world that JC will be given £1m to spend this summer.

There seems to be an awful lot of huffing and puffing about money to spend on new signings yet we're not prepared to offer the players we've got more money to stay.

I'm yet to raise an eyebrow as to who we've signed for next season so far and I'm surprised if I even will.

We need at least one signing of real quality to get the fans buying season tickets again otherwise it's another team grinding out results.

But I won't hold my breath and I'll only believe it when I see it holding a pen in the broom cupboard.

Duff, who earned a two-year deal after being sacked by Dundee United, said: "We finished strongly against the top five teams which has to be highly encouraging for the new campaign.

What the fuck is this all about?

I know the Retard will stoop to almost any depth to have a go at us, but making up utter garbage like this is way below even their usual rock-bottom standards.

Or do they know something I don't?

WTF? Duff wasn't sacked! We took him on-loan, United didn't renew his contract, then we got him on a free transfer. Does that mean that every single player who moves under freedom of contract is actually being "sacked"? Typical shite from the shite rag that isn't good enough to wipe the shite from my arse!

And regarding the sponsorship deal, JC was already told what his budget would be LONG before the new sponsorship deal emerged. If we got a deal worth three quid to have the King Street Chippy as our shirt sponsor, JC would still have the same budget! Fact of the matter is, the club has already settled on a budget for JC's squad. Anything else goes to the business of running Aberdeen Football Club.

But hey that's the truth. The Record never did let the truth get in the way of a good story. Especially if it means they can stick the boot into Aberdeen

And we are investing 1 million more than in 2004?

There is a significant black hole somewhere cunto. 

Nowhere does he actually give an indication of the timescale over which this £1m investment is spread. If reports earlier this year are to be believed, it's just over £1m over three years, which amounts to an extra £300k per year for transfer fees/wages. Not a huge amount in real terms.

You're right - there is a significant black hole somewhere. If that cash isn't being reinvested in the squad, we should be told what's being done with it, although my guess is that it's going towards servicing our debt.

Nowhere does he actually give an indication of the timescale over which this £1m investment is spread. If reports earlier this year are to be believed, it's just over £1m over three years, which amounts to an extra £300k per year for transfer fees/wages. Not a huge amount in real terms.

You're right - there is a significant black hole somewhere. If that cash isn't being reinvested in the squad, we should be told what's being done with it, although my guess is that it's going towards servicing our debt.

Precisely.

In addition inflation over those 4 years takes a chunk out of it. It is pure bollocks and indicative of the utter contempt the board have for the fan base and, if anything, more to blame for fans fucking off than the football itself.

No-one trusts this mob that are in charge of the club, especially when clear nonsense like this is pished out.

And another fucking thing, Calderwood was worried the cup exits would hit his transfer budget? Total shite. His transfer budget could and should have been boosted by being in the semis in the fucking first place seeing how guff we had been previously in the cup, earning the square root of fuck all. We had 2 replays FFS in there too.

Then our debt should be getting smaller! But every time I hear about it it's grown by a couple of mill.  >:D:hammer:

Guest fatshaft

nice work AFC, let all clubs now we have some money to spend so our targets price will go up.....  :hammer:

Fuck sakes, they can;t win. Say nothing and it's "Wiggy is a tight fisted non-supporter who just wants Pittodrie for flats", say there's cash in the kitty and they should have kept quiet.

Fuck sakes, they can;t win. Say nothing and it's "Wiggy is a tight fisted non-supporter who just wants Pittodrie for flats", say there's cash in the kitty and they should have kept quiet.

Of course they can win. They can win by putting a decent amount of money in and treating us with the respect we deserve, not like idiots who'll happily swallow their spin.

If we're going to pump in cash, great. I'd rather it wasn't shouted from the rooftops, but that's by the by. The simple fact is that we aren't pumping in cash. JC has been given a very modest amount of extra cash to use over three years on transfers and wages, not the £1m which Duncan Fraser sneakily implies is a transfer kitty for this summer.

This is the problem: we don't want the club bragging to us how much cash they're pumping in when in reality they seem to be putting in remarkably little. We're not stupid, and they give us far less credit for intelligence than we deserve.

Point out where anyone said anything like that about this particular piece of non-news?

It is fairly obvious that the team will get very little if anything at all from the money gained from last season based upon this mystical million.

1 million spread over that 4 year period is what? 250k per year increase.

Not a big increase based upon the totals spent and a piece of shit when compared with the amount gained from last season.

We just got rid of Lovell as well.

It was more the fact that Stoney seemed to be thinking 10 players in a Derek Young style would be sufficient. I just wondered what sort of mould the 11th man was going to come from...