Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Tosh relishing showdown with Dons

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/q/queen_of_the_south/7337298.stm

_44550852_stevietosh270.jpg

Stevie Tosh will not be dwelling on any regrets he may have about leaving Aberdeen as he prepares to face them in Saturday's Scottish Cup semi-final.

"It means a lot," the Queen of the South midfielder told BBC Sport. "I haven't played them since I left.

"Leaving was maybe a decision that if I could have made again I would never have taken.

"But since I left I've managed to play in Europe and in a Scottish Cup final and I hope I can get to another one."

Tosh, fast approaching his 35th birthday, spent two years at Pittodrie but moved on to Gretna in January 2005.

And he was in the Black & Whites team which famously reached the 2006 Scottish Cup final while in the Second Division, only to lose out to Hearts after a penalty shoot-out.

Tosh will be back at Hampden as Queens contest a major semi-final for the first time in 58 years.

"It will be something special," admitted the veteran, who has also turned out for St Johnstone, Raith Rovers, Livingston and Falkirk.

"Going full-time for the first time this season has certainly helped - we've got everyone together four days a week.

"It's a good bunch of boys with a good manager and it has all come together at the right time for us."

Tosh revealed boss Gordon Chisholm is nicknamed 'Capello', which is more to do with his spectacles than his achievements in the game.

Chisholm may never match the impressive record of the current England manager but Tosh is a big admirer.

"His tactics are always spot on," enthused Tosh. "He looks into everything in detail and training is always good. He's a joy to work for."

Queen of the South have taken care of Peterhead, Linlithgow Rose, Morton and Dundee to reach the last four.

"Obviously, you can only play who you're drawn against," said Tosh.

"People might have fancied a slip-up in the games against Peterhead away and Linlithgow but we got through them and, thankfully, we're in the semi-final."

The First Division side are yet to concede a goal in the tournament, while they have banged in 13 on the way to Hampden.

With a record like that, more than a few punters may fancy Tosh and his team-mates for an upset of their own.

Queen of the South star John Stewart wants to beat old Aberdeen pals

IF striker John Stewart is given a start in Saturday's Scottish Cup semi-final, no one will be trying harder to achieve a shock victory for Queen of the South.

Stewart is on loan from Falkirk but Hampden opponents Aberdeen are a former employer and he would love to show them he can still cut it at top level.

The 22-year-old hitman started out at Pittodrie and famously netted a late winner for the Dons in a 3-2 victory at Celtic Park in October 2004. But despite an impressive scoring record for the second string, manager Jimmy Calderwood deemed him surplus to requirements and he left for Falkirk in 2006.

He has struggled there also but helping Queens through to the Scottish Cup Final would make a few of his critics sit up and take notice.

The Bellshill-born player, who joined First Division Queens in January, said: "I'm keen to start in the semi-final but it's up to the boss.

"Hopefully I've got a wee chance of making it if Sean O'Connor isn't fit. I've never played at Hampden and it'll be a good day out for the club.

"The chance to defeat my old club is appealing. I've still got pals up there and I'd like to show everyone what I can do.

"The lads will certainly give Aberdeen a game - and I have an added incentive."

Stewart, who will return to Falkirk in the summer and try to make an impact in the final 12 months of his deal, added: "I haven't played as many games as I would have liked for Queens but I scored against Morton during this Cup run and maybe I can do some more damage."

Thing about Tosh is that whilst he'll play his heart out on Saturday even if he was still at AFC he wouldn't get anywhere near the first team nowadays. We've moved on, he's moved on.

Looking at that also shows that they haven't exactly had the most difficult of journeys to the semi, but fair play still to concede a goal, so lets hope that changes early doors on Saturday