Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Darren Young Quote

From the Dundee Courier:

Many people questioned Young’s ambition when, along with his brother Derek, he left Aberdeen four years ago to sign up at East End Park.

But he reckons events since have proved that decision a wise one.

“My mate from Aberdeen asked me the other day, ‘Do you wish you’d stayed up here?’ and I said, ‘No.’

“I’ve been at Dunfermline for four years, finished fourth in the league, the club has reached three major finals and now we’re in Europe again.

“We’ve also escaped relegation a few times, and if you compare it to Aberdeen I’m happy. They haven’t had a sniff of a final and they haven’t played in Europe.

“OK, they have been steady Eddies in the league, but do you swap that for all we’ve had?

“I don’t think so.â€

Just shows how much ambition the half wit has.

I myself have enjoyed the last few seasons since the 2 Jimmys have taken charge compared tow hat we were experiencing before them.

I agree that we havent a sniff of a final but weve consistently finished int he top 6 - i think calderwodd has always finished inthe top 6 good record for him! Theyve continually been fighting relegation , crap crowds and elts be honest crap players!

Difficult to tell exactly who the "we" is that he refers to at the end of that statement.... does he mean the club, or him & his brother?? If its the latter, then they'll certainly be looking forward to playing on the same pitch again next season when the pars face the mighty partick in the First Division.

Ok, he's right we ain't been in Europe since he's left (which is surely a co-incidence & not as a direct result!!!), but it's not as if the mighty pars have been going on impressive runs themselves. Also it shows the level of ambition if he considers getting to finals as achievement- as far as I'm concerned it's the WINNING of cups that matters, not the finals. As an example our 99/00 season was dreadful, despite the 2 losing final appearances... Mr Young probably looks back fondly on that season!

To be honest though, he's hardly likely to come out & say in an interview that he regrets leaving the dons (whether or not that is the case, and frankly I don't care) while he's still at the pars. In the fickle world of football, he'd be giving it "never wanted to leave", "regretted it since the day i left" etc etc etc if, god forbid, we ever re-signed him!

Probably released that statement cos he doesn't have to face the fans every week. I mean, let's face it. If you were a Pars fan, would you be passionate about your club? Passionate enough to stand outside the club doors protesting when things keep going wrong? Stand outside the club doors when a manager gets sacked to see what's the latest?

I mind when heaps of fans were camped (oo-err) outside the main doors of Pittodrie when Ebbe left. Eventually, Dazzling Darren was given the task of reading out the 'official' press statement, cos all the other players kept saying different things as they left.

Bet he's glad he doesn't have to do that sorta stuff now! Let's face it, Pars fans winnae protest, cos Pars fans dinnae care. Enjoy Division One, Darren. Yer brother's found his level there. Maybe you should too.