Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Bring back the playoffs

Bring them back, I say. Who cares about the bottom half of the SPL now that the split has happened? Seriously?!!!

If the playoffs were reinstated, there'd be something to play for ... fear!

At the moment, those sitting 10th and above are just playing for a little bit bigger cash settlement from the league. Wouldn't it be so much more entertaining if they knew they were possibly playing for the very existence of the club they are employed with?!!!

I'm just thinking back to our days in the relegation/promotion playoff. It sucked .. but WOW what an atmosphere!!! You'll never get that in a bottom-half SPL match these days. Now that stadium criteria isn't that much of an issue, I think the SPL should reinstate the relegation/promotion playoffs.

I agree with you, the aberdeen and dunfermline playoff's back in the 90's when both stadiums were full to the brink, that was summit to play for but now the split is a joke and the bottom teams dont really have anything to play forwell apart from st mirren and dunfermline..

The whole of Scottish Football needs a good seeing too.  Unfortunatly, it's not gonna happen with everything split up between the SPL, SFA and SFL.  We need Scottish Football's own Hugo Chavez, to pass decisions by decree for the good of the bigger picture and not everyone watching there own back.

Guest swaddon

It's a good idea, but the Self Preservation League wouldn't vote for it. The play-offs, that is, and also the good seeing to that the game needs.

Why not? It'd increase revenue from increased attendances in the bottom-half of the SPL. Currently, a match between S'murn and Dunfermline on the last few weeks of the season will attract three old fellas and one canine companion. But imagine what a playoff between S'murn and Dundee would attract ... with the KNOWLEDGE that the winner of the match would go up, and the loser would go down?!! Not only do the SPL and SFL benefit from this ... but both the winning and losing teams benefit from a day of having a higher-than-average attendance. Yeah, I know there's the slight issue of one of the teams going down ... but surely that's got to be part and parcel of having a shit season. At the moment, if you have a shit season, you've got an 11-in-12 chance of staying in the top flight. Stupid, really!!

Aye but the vote would would go to all SPL clubs and all SFL clubs seperatly.  SFL would no doubt vote yes, as they have then more chance of going up, SPL clubs would vote no to preserve there own status in the SPL should they have a shit season.

I'm not saying it is right, but it's the way it rolls round these parts.

It should be up to the sports governing body to dictate the terms to the clubs in its leagues and not the other way around - that would be a start.  The larger teams are always going to make decisions and vote so that their own needs will always be satisfied first - that is the way of it, and our own club is included in that.

What the SPL chiefs need to understand that falling crowds are partly attributed to their own mis-management and it is their responsibility to make changes for the benefit of the sport in this country. 

Take Formula 1 for example, now I am a fan but I completely understand other people who find it the most boring sport on the planet. As a result, fans and viewer numbers fell as things became predictable and stale.  The governing body (FIA) was able to spot this, and then took action in order to mix things up a bit, enforcing rule changes, changes to qualifying - a major overhaul of the way the sport is run. Hardly any of the teams were in favour of any of these changes, particularly the successful teams who are only interested in maintaining the status quo.

The beaks in charge of Scottish football need to do the same - the split is one small step, but more needs to be done to continuously improve the product that is Scottish Football.  This is why we have such structures - to run and manage the leagues successfully.

I agree with the points made that we only require one Scottish Football Association.  No other country in the planet has as much red-tape in its football management than tiny wee Scotland.