Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

10 players to be axed?

ON WAY OUT?

12:00 - 25 February 2008

Jimmy Calderwood is preparing to axe at least 10 players in a major Pittodrie purge this summer.

The Dons boss has finally lost patience with his flops following the dire 3-1 defeat to Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.

Aberdeen's sudden slump has seen them slip to ninth in the table, 11 points behind third placed Motherwell who also have two games in hand. Calderwood said: "It's now quite clear I have a major rebuilding job on my hands."

Dutch trio Karim Touzani, Dave Bus and Jeffrey de Visscher are likely to be under threat.

Steve Lovell will lead the mass exodus in the close season along with Dan Smith while Stuart Duff, Lee Mair and the experienced Jackie McNamara could also go.

Calderwood would love to keep loan stars Josh Walker and Sone Aluko but the teen pair will return to England this summer.

He added: "The performances we are producing right now aren't good enough for Aberdeen Football Club.

"We've set high standards but they have slipped drastically and I won't settle for second best.

"You learn from every game and it's now apparent we need to make big changes.

"Playing at a great club like Aberdeen comes with extra expectation levels.

"It takes a certain person to handle that and sometimes some individuals can only go so far as a player.

"Maybe a few have been punching above their weight but are now being found and when that happens it's time for surgery.

"I'm preparing for a massive turnaround and it's looking like I'll be into double figures in terms of the number of departures."

Calderwood stayed in Glasgow last night as he heads south of the border to trawl the lower leagues for fresh talent.

Jimmy Nicholl and Sandy Clark will also head off on scouting missions in a bid to net new players.

And Willie Miller has promised his manager will be given cash to fund his red revolution.

"I'm off on my travels again trying to make inroads into strengthening the team," said Calderwood.

"I'll be in England tonight taking in games as we step up our search for fresh talent.

"I've got a chance to look at some games coming up and we'll be watching a lot more in the coming months.

"That's because we need to improve the quality we have to get us back up to where we want to be in terms of our league position."

Calderwood made several changes for the Killie clash including handing keeper Derek Soutar a shock recall.

The former Dundee man is expected to retain his place for Wednesday's match with Motherwell at Pittodrie despite losing three goals at Rugby Park.

"Derek's display didn't have anything to do with us losing three goals," said Calderwood.

"He couldn't do anything to stop them as it was just very bad defending.

"It's up to Derek if he wants to keep his place in the side but I can't blame him at all for what happened against Kilmarnock."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll all for a mass clearout, but I just don't trust Calderwood to bring in replacements who will improve the side.

We'd need to spend at least £2,000, 000 to make any real difference, can't see us getting that for the "flops" or SM coughing up that kinda dough (and this isn't having a go at SM here).

Even if the money did appear, could we trust JC to spend it wisely?

We'd need to spend at least £2,000, 000 to make any real difference, can't see us getting that for the "flops" or SM coughing up that kinda dough (and this isn't having a go at SM here).

Even if the money did appear, could we trust JC to spend it wisely?

In a word? No  :hammer: I'm surprised about Karim Touzani being touted as one being offski. He hasn't offended anywhere near as much as most of the rest of the team, when he's actually played. Same with Lovell. I'm sick of this, add your name to the list JC.

If I was JC I'd axe

Sandy Clark

Darren Mackie

Steve Lovell

JDV

Dave Bus

Richie Byrne

Stuart Duff

Lee Mair

Derek Soutar

Derek Young

There will be others but I can't think just now, my head's still hurting after Munich!

If I was JC I'd axe

Sandy Clark

Darren Mackie

Steve Lovell

JDV

Dave Bus

Richie Byrne

Stuart Duff

Lee Mair

Derek Soutar

Derek Young

There will be others but I can't think just now, my head's still hurting after Munich!

Worryingly, there's no mention of him in the article.

The Touzani one perplexes me. He's hardly ever played for us, and yet he still got a two year contract last summer. He's come in and shown what he can do this season, and is still left on the bench or nowhere near it, and now he wants to get rid of him.

Only 10?

I'm nae surprised that Lovell and Touzani are mentioned here, although I'd have liked to have seen both o' them given a longer run in the team, (Lovell with the same strike partner for a number of weeks and Touzani as a holding midfielder)

Soutar, Should never have been signed in the first place

McNamara, Just hasn't worked

Mackie, The fact he only scored his 50th Aberdeen goal in the Dnipro game says it all

Byrne, Played brilliantly against Copenhagen but isnae good enough

Young, He's nae going to take us forward is he?  Surprised abody but he's nae good enough

Duff, See Soutar

Foster, Sh*te

D. Smith, Who?

Mair, See Soutar/Duff

De Visscher, Gamble that disnae look like working

Bus, See De Visscher

Nicholson, If he wanted to be at this club, he'd have signed already. Don't wanna lose him

(EDIT) Jonathan Smith (nae Jamie  :thumbsup:), See D. Smith

Add Lovell and Touzani tae that and that's 15 players that could/should go.

was it a gamble? At the time we were told that Jeff was a tricky winger, that he'd get us up off our seats in excitement. He's not that type of player. Unless JDV had been feasting in McDonalds every day since we signed him, it certainly looks as though JC had never seen the guy play to know what type of player he was.

He's technically a good footballer if a little slow, however, I also think he's another who has never been given a long enough run in the side to allow him to settle in and perform to his best.

Only 10?

I'm nae surprised that Lovell and Touzani are mentioned here, although I'd have liked to have seen both o' them given a longer run in the team, (Lovell with the same strike partner for a number of weeks and Touzani as a holding midfielder)

Soutar, Should never have been signed in the first place

McNamara, Just hasn't worked

Mackie, The fact he only scored his 50th Aberdeen goal in the Dnipro game says it all

Byrne, Played brilliantly against Copenhagen but isnae good enough

Young, He's nae going to take us forward is he?  Surprised abody but he's nae good enough

Duff, See Soutar

Foster, Sh*te

D. Smith, Who?

Mair, See Soutar/Duff

Bus, See De Visscher

Nicholson, If he wanted to be at this club, he'd have signed already. Don't wanna lose him

J. Smith, See D. Smith

Add Lovell and Touzani tae that and that's 15 players that could/should go.

Jamie is one of our best players and a player we are really missing at the moment.

was it a gamble? At the time we were told that Jeff was a tricky winger, that he'd get us up off our seats in excitement. He's not that type of player. Unless JDV had been feasting in McDonalds every day since we signed him, it certainly looks as though JC had never seen the guy play to know what type of player he was.

He's technically a good footballer if a little slow, however, I also think he's another who has never been given a long enough run in the side to allow him to settle in and perform to his best.

I was meaning gamble in the sense that there was a risk he widnae work oot as he was taking a step up a level from his previous club.  Agree wi the rest o' yer post though.

Fecking laughable..... yet again the man I have defended to the hilt o'er the weeks/ months of discontentment opens his big mouth and spouts shite.

So our already thread bare squad can afford to loose ten players in the summer ???

Unless we have ten pre contracts already signed up this is a complete fucking joke. Given his lack of ability to sign quality early doors in a transfer windown, if nothing else this would mean us starting the season with a first team squad so lacking in numbers that they could gather in a phone box for the squad photo...................... unless of course someone knows something I don't