Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Maguire & Considine - will they ever make it?

What's peoples thoughts on these two?

For me...

Maguire - should be loaned out to a Scottish 1st or 2nd division side to see if he can score some goals.  He looks a bit too lightweight for me at the moment and is danger of turning into another John Stewart.  He's a poor Darren Mackie at the moment - at least Mackie puts himself about.  I wouldn't lose any sleep if we sold him, which is sad as he did look like a great prospect a couple of years ago, with Nicholl describing him as the best youngster he'd ever worked with!

Considine - needs a run in the reserves to get his confidence back up.  He looks very shaky no matter where he plays at the back.  I'm pinning my hopes on a Diamond/Bus partnership, with possibly Byrne as back up.  :o

Yet another couple of youngsters who are struggling to impress.  We all know the youth system has not produced over the last few years.  Its now WM's responsibility and his rebranded youth academy which was created in 2006 needs to start producing the goods over the next few years.  Certainly plenty of people involved in it: http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/whoswho

Der Kaiser has had a shitload of games and if anything is getting worse, probably as a result of catastophies at the back.

That said, Diamond came back from a similar situation but at least had demonstrated he had what it takes in the first place. I'm not sure Considine has done that as well.

Maguire is, as has been said earlier, as a soft as shite, bit of a poser on the ball and doesn't put himself about enough or go in where it hurts. Couple of very good examples of this against the jambos. He most definitely has the skill but remains utterly unconvincing in terms of attitude or nerve.  

I personally think Maguire is fucking terrible.  I know he's just a young lad, but i just don't see anything with him that makes me think he will ever make it or develop into a decent striker.  why we brought him on instead of Lovell on saturday when the hearts center backs were hoofing everyone in sight i really don't know - effectively we were a man down upfront the second that happened.  His first touch is almost as bad as darren mackies', and he always looks a light breeze away from falling over.

Considine - i don't know.  I just think he's too slow - if he made up for that with positional awareness or speed of thought then perhaps he's got a chance.  However, these are not things he's got at the moment but they are things that can be coached into him with the correct guidance. 

Playing at left back however, like he did on tuesday night, will not help his cause one little bit.

The jury's out in both cases for me i'm afraid.  :-\

I think Considine has more chance of making it than Maguire.  Young Chris is full of energy, puts in a bit of effort, there's no doubt he has a bit of talent, but he has no strength and is seriously out of his depth against most defenders in the SPL.  He doesn't score goals, rarely comes close to scoring goals, and defenders must love playing against him.  Plus our long ball tactics don't suit him at all.  I've said it before, please don't tell me we're pinning our hopes on this kid?

Still have a wee feeling Considine will develop into a solid defender as he matures, all the qualities are there, but I dont think he's the right man to partner Diamond at centre back.  They're both too similar.

I'd say that Considine has a better chance of making it. When he plays well I think it's fair to say that he's a better player/prospect than Anderson was at that stage of his career. Of course that doesn't mean he'll turn into a similar player Russell became, but I think the potential is there. However, how long can we go with the guy making some horrendous errors?  I think he should be played as a centre half and a centre half only. He's getting shifted about the defence and it's not fair on the guy.

I'd say that Considine has a better chance of making it. When he plays well I think it's fair to say that he's a better player/prospect than Anderson was at that stage of his career. Of course that doesn't mean he'll turn into a similar player Russell became, but I think the potential is there. However, how long can we go with the guy making some horrendous errors?  I think he should be played as a centre half and a centre half only. He's getting shifted about the defence and it's not fair on the guy.

Totally agree BB. He doesn't have the pace or awareness to play at LB. Right now though I think Byrne is better CH than him, Seve is a better option at the back and obviously Bus is there too so he would not necessarily be even 3rd choice.

I'd rather have Consi as a left back than Byrne.

Totally agree BB. He doesn't have the pace or awareness to play at LB. Right now though I think Byrne is better CH than him, Seve is a better option at the back and obviously Bus is there too so he would not necessarily be even 3rd choice.

I'd rather have Consi as a left back than Byrne.

Totally agree with that. Doesn't help if they get shifted from left to right every game. Its a shame that maguire seems to have lost the plot. He really does need to go out on loan. Problem is, I don't see JC doing this, as he keeps using him, and probably see's him as part of the first team set up. Considine needs to go in the reserves for a while at CB. Get his confidence back. He definitely has the potential to be as good as Russel Anderson was for us, just needs time, as he had.

I can't see Considine making it to be honest, he always looks like he's petrified when the ball comes near him. I think I'm right in saying that he was told he was being let go before Ryan O'Leary decided he was homesick, so he was kept on to make up the numbers.

We really need some experience at the back to partner Diamond. There's too much responsibility on Diamond at the moment, and if he falls into another spell of bad form, we're screwed. Derek Whyte was fairly shite, but the help he provided to the development of Anderson was invaluable.

Don't have much hope for Maguire either, he should've spent last season on loan at a first division team to get the experience under his belt. I don't think he's got the footballing brain to match his quick feet. He's got the ability, he just doesn't know what to do with it, and I doubt he ever will.

Even though I can't see either making it at Aberdeen, they both could do a job playing regularly for a bottom 4 SPL team or a good first division team.

The problem is that I don't think any of our youngsters will be farmed out to the lower league teams unless we want them off the books (Jamie Winter).

We're just too short staffed at the club teamwise.  Shame really as it really would be good to put a rocked up some arses.

exactly

we don't have enough competition for positions as it is without losing a player for half a season to 'blood' them.

I've never seen anything in Chris Maguire to make me think he has anything to offer at this level and I doubt he'll ever prove me wrong.  I'd not bat an eyelid if he were to leave us.

Considine's biggest failing is that he suffers from poor concentration and I reckon this season his confidence has taken a serious dent.  He had some marvellous performances last season so at least we know he can be a good defender.  Perhaps a run of 5 or 6 games alongside Diamond is what he needs to get that confidence back.

As with all young players, consistency is the main difficulty.

Maguire - has learned little over the last couple of seasons except how to tackle like Christina Clark and pose about trying to look like Lee Miller with his bleached f*cking hair and colourful boots.

Considine - Doesn't have the faith in his own abilities to do well at the moment. I've felt for a long time that him and Zander just need to be left alone in the middle to develop a partnership, but he gets almost constantly moved around the defence instead - surely to f*ck JC knows which positions his players should be played in by now?! - Or is that just stupid?

• 1 month later...
Guest ally s

I think Considine will make it, I think he's better just now than Anderson was at that age.

Apart from the last 6 games or so of last season I thought he was superb.  His form has been up and down this season but that part of maturing as a player.

I'm not sure about Maguire, at times he can be good but most of the time he's shite. He needs to bulk up a bit and imo needs to address his poor attitude.

Maguire can go anytime he likes, he's got less ability than John Stewart, he's wasting everyones time by not taking up an apprenticeship in plumbing or joinery.

Considine is decent but he needs to play alongside someone who is far more experienced than Zander if he's to have any chance of developing. I don't think Zander can cope with cutting out his own mistakes while looking out for Considine at the same time. If we had an old head in the squad like a Weir or a Pressley (not suggesting for a second these are players I want in the squad) then Der Kaiser would have someone to look up to and I think it would benefit him big time.

Considine is decent but he needs to play alongside someone who is far more experienced than Zander if he's to have any chance of developing. I don't think Zander can cope with cutting out his own mistakes while looking out for Considine at the same time. If we had an old head in the squad like a Weir or a Pressley (not suggesting for a second these are players I want in the squad) then Der Kaiser would have someone to look up to and I think it would benefit him big time.

Was going to say something similar but then Anderson sort of 'grew up' himself when he was forced to.  Zander may have what it takes to do the same.

Agree that Considine needs someone other than Zander to learn his trade off of though.

Maguire- Gut feeling is no. Too lightweight with a shite first touch. Think he believed    the  hype from nichol.

Considine- Too slow to play full back and can't concentrate for 90 mins. As a result to much of a liability for central def.

I'll reserve judement on Maguire, he is a standout at his age group. He has the talent, not sure about the physique or attitude though. Wouldnt write him off yet.

Considine has already proved in big games this season he has "made it" already. His laspes of concentration are to be expected in a young player, they are just more noticeable/more easily punished because the plays in defence. Can see him going on to be a top player for us in years to come.

Considine - folk forget how much of a nightmare season Zander had a couple of years ago from being pushed on too soon. I reckon if we stick with Considine and Diamond at the back they will come good and form a solid pairing.

Maguire - hard to tell if he will achieve anything based on performances so far, am still hoping he comes good and surprises us all.