Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scott Vernon

Bored out my mind these days and saw some highlights of Vernon with the dons. I don’t really remember him but he scored some decent goals for us. Was he any good? I remember being happy when we signed Rooney, but don’t remember much about Vernon and whether, in the end, he left, we punted him, or what? Anyone??

Vernon in the end suffered from shite service, if memory served me correctly. Was ok, scored some decent goals but then missed chances he really should have buried. No where near the execution rate of Rooney's but a likeable guy. Certainly didn't fit DM's set up.

There was a few seasons under Craig Brown where Vernon scored a decent amount for us despite us being pretty rubbish. But I think he was one of these strikers who needed someone up front beside him to be effective. When we started playing one up front under Mcinnes he wasnt scoring as much and ended up second choice to Rooney. I think he left when his contract expired, but he may have been allowed to leave early.

Recall him scoring his first goal for the club at Tanndaice

3-0 down after 10mins and yet when that goal went in (about midway through the first half) I (and I suspect many others) genuinely thought the dons were going to come back for at least a point.

Where that optimism came from shall forever remain a mystery

There the Friday night he scored a hat-trick at Pittodrie against Dunfermline Athletic in a 4-0 win.  Was this not the first ever game SPFL experimented with for 'Friday Football'????  I'm sure he will be fondly remembered for that well taken penalty in 2014 League Cup Final shootout too.