Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Battle For Third

Is it me or is third not as simple an achievement as Derek is making out.  Just realised Hibernian are right up our backside and Livingston aren't out of it yet either not to mention Motherwell who have a game in hand on us!!  We honestly need a near perfect last eleven games to get job done and I'm not sure we are capable. 

It’s most definitely a battle. We are 5 ahead of sixth placed Hibs, and since the beginning of December, in the league we’ve won 3 drawn 4 and lost 5, by no means consistent form. On any given day we can see any sort of formation or line up. The Hamilton performance was solid and the Celtic game had positives, but I don’t think anyone can predict what is to come.

We’ve got a tough run in. We’ll most likely see top 6 Hibs, Livi, and Motherwell twice, as well as the ugly sisters post split. Of our remaining games only 3 are against most likely bottom 6 teams. One is Killie away which will be tough, and another against hearts who are battling for their lives. It really is a tough run in.

I think one of the biggest decisions DM has to make is what to do with our main forward. Cosgrove has banged in goals and has been talked up so much this season, but he’s way off form. Two games dropped and performances were decent. Are we going to rely on Curtis Main? That’s a hell of a gamble...

AFC has been polluted by the wrong men. For the whole of this century, it's been run by a midget bald shit who's agenda wasn't the football and in the whole of his time, he's employed football managers who have not been fit for purpose, the current incumbent being a midget bearded shit of equal charlatanism.

The fact he's even talking about third as some sort of achievement and validation is tragic enough. I must've missed the outstanding recruitment that Gerrard did in the summer for them to pull so far ahead of us this year? Maybe it's my imagination that Aberdeen have a better head-to-head record v. Gerrard for the last two seasons?

Even more sad are the happy clapping arseholes among us who sided with Milne, who never saw what was going on and who have faith in McInnes despite SEVEN FUCKING YEARS of evidence to chew on. Christ they were singing his name at Hampden twice last season! Aberdeen got the club they deserved and if you think that the biggest snake oil salesman ever to come out of the North East is going to change it, you've got another think coming.

Third is where we should be according to our financial advantage over the rest. But compared to the advantage that the arse cheeks have over us (sevco 4 times our turnover, Celtic 6 times), the advantage we have over the rest is relatively smaller. In the case of Hearts especially and Hibs....it's probably close enough to be negligible. Yet Hearts are locked in a battle against relegation (I expect them to escape it purely because of their resources) and Hibs were horrendous under Heckingarse, though Jack Ross has them climbing the table to a position where they should be. If we continue our recent upturn in performance, we will finish ahead of them by between 5 and 10 points come season's end.

Motherwell and Livi are the teams who are punching way ahead of their expected performance. Motherwell are a well run club with a decent young manager and though their form has been fairly sketchy since the January break...they beat us at Pittodrie and generally perform fairly well against the arse cheeks. Their weakness is losing games quite unexpectedly against teams right at the bottom, often coming after they have been on a run of winning a few games on the trot. They have a game in hand over us (against St Mirren at home) so despite us being third at present on goal difference, taking that game into account I'd take our true position to be 4th, 1 or (more likely) 3 points behind 'Well. Livingston...are a bit of an enigma. Their performance is almost exclusively based on winning games at home on their plastic pitch. Which they are doing. I suspect Killie have sorted out their mid-season woes though and will overhaul them eventually for 6th.

We should have enough in our locker to get ahead of 'Well and finish 3-7 points ahead of them by season's end. But this depends on us keeping up the level of performance that we saw on Sunday. Any return to the shitshow of December to early February and we could finish 7th or 8th. And that should be a sacking offence.