Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Jonny Hayes

I'd agree with what he has done.

You could never question his commitment to the team, always gave 100% on the pitch and worked hard at both ends. He/we were unlucky not to get the cup in the 2017 final and a large part of that was done to him that day.

Brenda didn't sign him for Celtic because he needed him, he did it to weaken us, which it did.

Runners up medals are absurd in football. Perhaps for all team sports. I wouldn't want to keep them either. Although the only fitba final I lost in - the AFC Trophy the first year it was NOT played at Pttodrie (Porterfield got the blame) - they didn't hand out medals for the losers. Individual sports are different. I was proud of my first medal aged 8, a swimming bronze against kids older and bigger than me but the silvers and golds looked and tasted better when they came. The person who thought we should give medals to beaten finalists in football was a loser himself. Fucking ridiculous notion.

• 3 months later...

Released from the dhimmery today. Lots of calls from folk on social media to re-sign him. Big no from me imo. Past it, and I don't want to ruin our memory of his first time here.  Certainly not on the wing. He won't have the legs anymore.

Wouldn't say he's past it considering he was still doing a good job for Celtic last season, and the general consensus from Celtic fans were they were happy for him to at least get another year.

He was more of a left back at Celtic. I'd certainly put him in the team there allowing Considine to go more central ahead of the inevitable departure of McKenna. Would do a job for us for 1-2 seasons.

An honest pro who gives his all in every gamne and would still add quality to the team and afraid to say it, but after being at Celtic for 3 years he may even take a winners mentality to the club, which is badly needed.

I don't normally want players back after they have left, but I would take him, if we could afford him.

Interesting to hear him say there that all of the stats done by the sports scientists, at Celtic, showed he was the fittest at the Club. Maybe got a good year or two left him in by all accounts?

We took McGinn back, and whilst he's nowhere near the Player he was, he's still turned it on in key moments, scored a few important goals and created a few important goals. Therefore, Hayes is a no-brainer, surely? He was a better Player than McGinn, perhaps not technically, but he created more, scored plenty, the vast majority of our goals came from from him setting them up.

Wouldn't want to waste him at Left Back, I'd be relatively pleased with Leigh on a permanent at Left Back, with Hayes used out wide, where he belongs.

Personally, I hope it happens. 

If you take back Hayes, you might as well admit that winning the league is not the goal.

Tragically, him at his age is probably a big improvement on the squad.

I agree and disagree with you. He's such a fit guy I could see him playing until he's 36,37 or something like that. While he's probably not the explosive winger he once was, he still looked sharp enough when I saw him and would be one of the best lefty back or wingers in the league. Saying that, I like Greg Leigh too so I'd take both, and both add to our squad. I don't see McGinn as a winher any more, more the #10, so why not add Hayes for a couple of years or more depending on how it goes.

I agree and disagree with you. He's such a fit guy I could see him playing until he's 36,37 or something like that. While he's probably not the explosive winger he once was, he still looked sharp enough when I saw him and would be one of the best lefty back or wingers in the league. Saying that, I like Greg Leigh too so I'd take both, and both add to our squad. I don't see McGinn as a winher any more, more the #10, so why not add Hayes for a couple of years or more depending on how it goes.

I only said two things. I said he would be an obvious improvement on the squad. I also said that you don't have any ambition to win the league. If you agree and disagree, what specifically did we disagree on?

I only said two things. I said he would be an obvious improvement on the squad. I also said that you don't have any ambition to win the league. If you agree and disagree, what specifically did we disagree on?

I don't believe the clubs ambition at the moment is to win the league, but I think that's another discussion.

Whatever your opinion on that, I don't think that bringing Jonny back is incompatible with winning the league. He is still a good player and would be a good influence within the squad.

I'd like to see him back playing on the opposite side from Kennedy . I think McGinn is past his best and could make way for this.  McGinn in the #10 role is a decent possibility as we've not really filled it last season and despite what the glasgow media say, fergie isn't a technically strong enough player to play there. IMO. I see him as a holding player or box to box depending on formation ( with DM that's holding )

I think it would be a toss up between McGinn and hedges for that 10  spot but I'd love to see wright back fully fit and going in there. I know he has his critics but if he's added a bit of strength during his recovery I think he still has the potential to be a star for us.  I felt he was starting to come good before the injury.

I suppose we'll see soon enough if he still has the pace that he's known for.

Our squad is well covered for most positions. The glaring anomaly is at left back. Now I realise that Hayes played there latterly for the Dhims but that was more about them having injuries/finding out the Bolingoli was a complete duffer.

Mcinnes said on radio a fortnight ago that he doesn't expect to be making signings for the time being. Probably points to Considine starting at left back initially, but if the board do let him bring someone it then surely it has to be a proper left back. We have shoe-horned Consi in there for too long, or signed loans, who, despite generally being very good, were only short-term fixes. I certainly don't want to shoe-horn a winger who is now firmly in the veteran stages of his career in there now. Who knows where we (and Leigh himself) stand now as to the agreement we had with Breda to sign him for a pre-determined fee this summer if both parties wanted. It might be that they will be happy just to get him off their books to cut costs as many clubs will require to do. I'd hope we take him before we think of signing Hayes

• 1 year later...