Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Foreign Legion Coming??

Was just thinking about Ronald Hernandez signing and fact alongside him we have Funsi Ojo as our only other foreign player.  Looking at Atlanta United roster I see they have a fair few from abroad in their squad.  Wonder if folk would like us to see us go down this same road of having more continental influence than home grown product??  Must admit I loved it when we had said 'Dutch Demographic' in Snelders, Van De Ven, Ten Caat, Gillhaus.  I'm not sure if aforementioned direction is what club are picturing.  I've heard other supporters claim it does bring a certain togetherness within camp albeit one still to be convinced.     

I agree with Rico, it’s a big deal to me that we don’t have more scots. Part of the reason I really wanted players like GMS, Devlin, May to succeed, plus a Scott Wright, McLennan, the Ross’s etc, and why I wanted a Mcgeouch for example. I know to many they don’t care, but a Scottish core is a biggie for me.

Kennedy is Scottish. Represented Scotland at all youth levels.

Weirdly enough, I read that he'd played for Scotland youth when we signed him, but I just had it in my head that he was Irish despite all evidence to the contrary. He's South of Stonehaven, so he's basically a foreign Weegie. I only recognise Andy Considine, Scott Wright and Bruce Anderson as proper dandies, the rest are foreigners.

Was just thinking about Roland Hernandez signing and fact alongside him we have Funsi Ojo as our only other foreign player.  Looking at Atlanta United roster I see they have a fair few from abroad in their squad.  Wonder if folk would like us to see us go down this same road of having more continental influence than home grown product??  Must admit I loved it when we had said 'Dutch Demographic' in Snelders, Van De Ven, Ten Caat, Gillhaus.  I'm not sure if aforementioned direction is what club are picturing.  I've heard other supporters claim it does bring a certain togetherness within camp albeit one still to be convinced.   

Let's not forget Willem van der Ark from that list

Weirdly enough, I read that he'd played for Scotland youth when we signed him, but I just had it in my head that he was Irish despite all evidence to the contrary. He's South of Stonehaven, so he's basically a foreign Weegie. I only recognise Andy Considine, Scott Wright and Bruce Anderson as proper dandies, the rest are foreigners.

He's been in the Northern Ireland senior squad once but didn't play as far as I know.

And Jeffrey De Visscher.

Aye fair enough Rico although I didn't add him as all the others mentioned were around the same time.

If we widen the time period then we have to add Karim Touzani which is fair enough BUT Dave Bus needs to go on the list and frankly still gives me the fear

Aye fair enough Rico although I didn't add him as all the others mentioned were around the same time.

If we widen the time period then we have to add Karim Touzani which is fair enough BUT Dave Bus needs to go on the list and frankly still gives me the fear

I was just being cheeky. I knew what was meant. Otherwise I'd have added Ferne Snoyl and Dyron Daal....

Out of the Calderwood era dutch contingent I seem to remember Karim Touzani and Ferne Snoyl where the only two who looked decent at the time.

Touzani was dutch U21 who had been on the verge of a £1.5m move to PSV. Then he got injured and its seems his fitness issues stalled his career.

Seemed to remember Snoyl looking half decent for us, but it looks like his career petered out and he was done by the age of 25/26.

Ah good old de Visscher. Who could forget his wildpoepen exploits?

One of the biggest disappointments of the Calderwood era is that we didn't tap into his indubitably encyclopaedic knowledge of the Dutch game more. Was it more due to the enforced austerity at that point than anything else...ie that the players who were any good just weren't interested in moving across the North Sea for the sort of wages that we were paying at that point? I agree Snoyl started off well but seemed to peter out fairly rapidly.

Daal ended up doing quite well at County if memory serves.  I never felt de visscher was given much of a chance by Calderplank 2bh.  I quite liked the look of him.

Likewise. Wasn't fast but had the skills. Daal on the other hand. Wow, wtf was that. Remember him at ibrox, despite being taller than the defender, he seemed to jump lower than the ball  and defender ???

I mind meeting touzani at Falkirk away, he was in the stand with the fans. Was shocked when I started chatting to him in Dutch  ;D he's probably the most famous globe Red.

I was a big fan of Markus Heikkinen, was that a JC signing or someone previous to him? I can't remember the exact details that far back I am afraid. I do remember JC signed Þórarinn Kristjánsson, and he was fucking horrific. I think he made his debut as a Sub vs Rangers?

Forgot we actually signed him. Often used to buy him on championship manager 03/04, where he was ace.

Forgot we actually signed him. Often used to buy him on championship manager 03/04, where he was ace.

Thought he was signed by Paterson.He might have been more average than we thought,because the rest of the team at that time were so bad.

A Finnish guy that worked with me a while laughed when i told him he was one of our star players