Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Benefit Of Having A Regular Cold Shower

SeeBass

This sounds a bit too victorian asylum/ boarding school for my liking.

I've seen the cold shower thing recommended for lots of things (some for health, others for punishment) as it is a form of shock therapy but I haven't seen any scientific evidence as to whether its use is a good of bad thing.

As I understand it, shock therapy is based on suddenly stopping whatever mental or physical activity a person is experiencing essentially stunning them to a sudden stop. The dangers of doing this is actually putting the body into 'shock' which is a serious medical emergency. (See the dangers of trigger happy cops with tazers)

If you were to try this I certainly wouldnt go longer than 30seconds if physically healthy. If you have any underlying physical health conditions I would be very wary.

There were posters all around my local area warning of the dangers of cold water submersion. (fishing, sailing, kayaking were very popular)

'Be aware even in summer you can die in less than 2hrs in the water'

That slogan was based on someone in a wetsuit or survival suit and the understanding was it shrunk to 15mins in the winter.

Wim Hoff?

Yep, that's who I was going to suggest. He's got a youtube channel seabass that'll give you some tips. 30 seconds in a cold shower is no bother and won't do you any harm. You can always step out if it's too much. You'd have to do it every day for it to actually do you any good I think.

the guy i go hillwalking with has started taking cold showers and has become a big fan.Started off taking a normal shower and screwed down the temperature gradually during the same shower to what he could bear,til it got cold.

Been doing it regularly for a couple of months now.

Doesnt feel the cold like he did,eg was walking up a hill 2 weeks ago in a Tshirt in -3oC..Just wondering if he'll become a sweaty mess when it warms up a bit as a downside    :dunno: