Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons - Dumbarton - cup - Red Shed

Ages away yet, but there's a big push from the club hierarchy to try and make the merlkand a singing area (Red Shed) . Something a number fans had called for years ago, but seems to now be getting the clubs blessing. Hope it works out, it would be great to see some atmosphere at Pittodrie again. That said, a performance on the park goes a long way to helping that.

Be interesting if we see any new faces for this one. I'd hope so. Perfect opportunity to get them up to speed.

Just bought my tickets for this game, must need my head examined parting with good cash to watch this.

For all the 30+ years I have followed the club, the atmosphere has always been pretty pish at Pittodrie, we get a good bounce at certain games, but on the whole it is pretty poor, regardless of how well we are performing and at the moment we haven't been performing well on the pitch and difficult to get enthused playing for third place.

Fair play for giving it a try though, but not a hope of getting the same atmosphere at home as we do at away games, which is usually always good.

I'm all for trialling this sort of thing but I'm not sure if this is the best time to do it. You'd be best starting with a game that has decent atmosphere already instead of a game that will have a very low crowd and will have a non-existent atmosphere. Hope it works out though. The part I'd like to see the most is being allowed to stand without getting fucking whinged at.

I'm all for trialling this sort of thing but I'm not sure if this is the best time to do it. You'd be best starting with a game that has decent atmosphere already instead of a game that will have a very low crowd and will have a non-existent atmosphere. Hope it works out though. The part I'd like to see the most is being allowed to stand without getting fucking whinged at.

If they trialled in a league match you would have season ticket holders...especially ones in the Paddock who maybe have a couple of kids on child season tickets that specifically chose their seats for that very reason....moaning like fuck, either because their kids couldn't see or had been moved to another part of the ground to accommodate the trial. So makes sense all round to do it in the Cup. Might actually put another 500-1000 or so on the gate who ordinarily would just have given this one a miss

Its the right type of game to try it out,but maybe not the best moment, given the apathy.

Cant see how it will be much different from the last Merkland effort,but hopefully theyve learned from last time by connecting more with the majority of the support,rather than disappearing into their own wee world as it often appeared.Less songs for the sake of it,more at the right times,and more songs that dont make us older curmudgeons cringe if you want us to join in,eg bouncing on yer head etc  :redface:

As to the game,am away that weekend but will go for an unconvincing 2 - 0 win. Cosgrove,Considine

If the Merkland thing works out, then what?

They had a singing section thing in the European games in the normal away end. Doesn't matter how big a success it would be as in league games that section isn't available, same with the Merkland, and Cormack appears to have already come out and pledged the south stand will be a standing/singing area next season.

I applaud Cormack for having ideas and not being afraid to try things, but it's a bit of a scatter gun approach - not much thought going into it. A bit like his hastily deleted tweet that got him a written warning off the SFA.

The whole label of a singing session is such a stupid approach.

It implies that if you want to make any noise etc you MUST be in a specific section and anyone who stands, makes a comment of god help them try an start a chant or song can be told to be quiet or perhaps even asked to leave.

Also anyone who finds themselves in this section is now under pressure to join in with whatever the majority are doing and some of the shit sung by some of the Dons support I certainly dont want to be associated with. There are also the pricks who will bring in fireworks or insist on waving large flags throughout the game so you cant actually see. Ive seen enough arguments and near fist fights in the home sections without having the argument that anyone in a certain section must behave in a specific way.

The idea of a 'family section' sort of works as it at least offers a controlled and safe environment for people to take their kids and not put up with drunk supporters club in and around them. The problem with the family section is it was far too big especially after they put the prices up for kids etc.

I may have a hazy memory but the Merkland always seemed to be reasonably full for home games in the early 90s and my dad used to say this was due to very cheap tickets for children. Whatever that price was it seemed to have vanished by the time I got to Uni in 1998 and given how poor the view can be from the Merkland its no surprise people will move away from there when a few extra quid got them a better view.

There was also a stupid period of time when anyone who didnt have kids was 'discouraged' from sitting there. Last time I was in the Merkland was a 1-1 draw with dundee back in October 2004. Turned up late and realised I only had £15 in my wallet so went to the Merkland turnstiles instead of the south and the guy selling the tickets actually tried to stop me getting in because I was on my own. I actually had to point out there was no formal rule about having to be accompanied by a kid and he was denying the club money it desperately needed. He relunctantly finally gave me a ticket just in time for me to see John Sutton score the opener.

Soon as you start labelling large parts of a stadium you start making them less appealing to lots of fans and given whats on offer the last thing you need is to start putting doubt into potential fans minds

Good post Tom. Totally agree.

Trying things is always healthy. However the real draw, the only thing to guarantee putting bums on seats and increasing revenue is to make the product attractive to the potential consumer. Under this manager, that's never going to happen and I'm not sure that AFC America Inc. know enough about football to understand this. The missing thousands, of which I'm now one aren't missing because of stadium designations. That never even came into the equation.

Nice to see Mezzanine getting heavily involved with the Red Shed. Lots of positivity around it now. Really hope it's a success and there's a good atmosphere but hard to see what they'd do for the rest of the season (outside cup game(s)).  Obviously the football on show, has to do its bit.

The whole label of a singing session is such a stupid approach.

It implies that if you want to make any noise etc you MUST be in a specific section and anyone who stands, makes a comment of god help them try an start a chant or song can be told to be quiet or perhaps even asked to leave.

Also anyone who finds themselves in this section is now under pressure to join in with whatever the majority are doing and some of the shit sung by some of the Dons support I certainly dont want to be associated with. There are also the pricks who will bring in fireworks or insist on waving large flags throughout the game so you cant actually see. Ive seen enough arguments and near fist fights in the home sections without having the argument that anyone in a certain section must behave in a specific way.

The idea of a 'family section' sort of works as it at least offers a controlled and safe environment for people to take their kids and not put up with drunk supporters club in and around them. The problem with the family section is it was far too big especially after they put the prices up for kids etc.

I may have a hazy memory but the Merkland always seemed to be reasonably full for home games in the early 90s and my dad used to say this was due to very cheap tickets for children. Whatever that price was it seemed to have vanished by the time I got to Uni in 1998 and given how poor the view can be from the Merkland its no surprise people will move away from there when a few extra quid got them a better view.

There was also a stupid period of time when anyone who didnt have kids was 'discouraged' from sitting there. Last time I was in the Merkland was a 1-1 draw with dundee back in October 2004. Turned up late and realised I only had £15 in my wallet so went to the Merkland turnstiles instead of the south and the guy selling the tickets actually tried to stop me getting in because I was on my own. I actually had to point out there was no formal rule about having to be accompanied by a kid and he was denying the club money it desperately needed. He relunctantly finally gave me a ticket just in time for me to see John Sutton score the opener.

Soon as you start labelling large parts of a stadium you start making them less appealing to lots of fans and given whats on offer the last thing you need is to start putting doubt into potential fans minds

The singing section is a very American thing, you have it with all MLS clubs here in the US. You certainly don't have to be in the singing section to sing and you get all sorts of songs, banter, chants etc from various sections of MLS crowds towards each other. It has been hugely successful and you get some amazing atmospheres at games. US football is different to Scotland though so not sure how it will come across, but hugely successful here in creating very good home game experience. Cormack is thinking outside the box and credit to him for exploring different options, I'm willing to give the new guy a chance. The game is different, people are different, and young crowds and fans are different to us who grew up in the 80s and 90s for example. Worth exploring.

So far 1500 tickets sold for the "Red Shed".  Seems like the fans are getting behind it, hopefully a few more are sold.

A singing area is needed at Pittodrie. Far too many moany bastards in the stands telling folk to sit down etc...works in most other (non) Scottish clubs. As you say LA, kudos to Cormack for trying something, i've liked to read his personal experiences. Certainly a different tact from Milne.

Ferguson suspended for this one so be interesting to see how we line up in midfield. Would expect McGeouch to start. Would like to see us go with Anderson and Cosgrove as a front 2 but cannot see McInnes going with that. As long as we approach the game professionally should be a comfortable victory.

Oot (forgot to book the train and no cheap tickets left)

Flat

Local game

Flat

3-0 Cosgrove, McGinn and McKenna.

Given they are saying 'limited' tickets available is it the case the South stand & RDS upper will be closed?

The capacity of the Merkland is apparently only 2200 or so for this one. Something to do with one of the sections being closed (MK1?), and capacity being restricted due to safety regulations when having unallocated seating.

Think that's what the limited tickets is about. RDU is shut though. 11,000 expected according to Cormack on Twitter.

Ferguson suspended for this one so be interesting to see how we line up in midfield. Would expect McGeouch to start. Would like to see us go with Anderson and Cosgrove as a front 2 but cannot see McInnes going with that. As long as we approach the game professionally should be a comfortable victory.

Oot (forgot to book the train and no cheap tickets left)

Flat

Local game

Flat

3-0 Cosgrove, McGinn and McKenna.

He's done as you asked with Anderson and Cosgrove starting. He really had to try it, it's a potentially great combination. Anderson looks like he's added a little bulk since last season too, so really needs to be getting more opportunities. Certainly ahead of Main. Looks like a 4-4-2. Should be a decent game, nice day for it.

Aye, that was fairly turgid at times. The only up-side being that we played with two up front, with Anderson getting in some good positions. Our shooting was atrocious like. 27 attempts, with only 8 on target. Plenty of decent opportunities (especially the corners) that should have been goals. There were only a few times when we really tore through them though with any decent play. Still the same first-touch-negative approach that we're used to seeing, which means we'll always struggle to create. We're relying heavily on being solid and winning games by a goal, which might manage to get you 3rd in the league, but it isn't going to win you a cup.

McGeouch looked half decent like. Some tenacity and some decent passing. He looks better than Ojo. I'd have him alongside Ferguson in the next game but ask Ferguson to play higher. If we're going with 2 up front, it's not as important, but still good to have one of the two midfielders providing an extra body in the box.

Sure we had all the possession in the world and god knows how many chances but when all is said and done....relying on a penalty in the 86th minute at home against Dumbarton is just embarrassing.

McGeouch and Ojo worked well together, presume Ferguson will come straight back in on Wednesday replacing McLennan, who was fucking abysmal today. Anderson also did himself no favours, 2 horrendous misses, one in each half where he blootered the ball over the bar where both times it looked easier to score. Get him out on loan.

McGinn easily m.o.m. was really our only creative player. Worry is can he now play 2 games in 4 days effectively? We certainly need him against Motherwell, I'd rather he missed next week against St Mirren.

Hardly the performance I wanted to see with what we face midweek but surely we cannot play as ineffectively ( I can't in all honesty say we played badly) again.