Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dealing Dons Disappointment???

I'm just having a wee look over some of our more horrendous results from my time as a supporter.  Whether that be losing 2-0 to Stenhousemuir or Queen Of The South 4-3 in Scottish Cup.  Maybe being there like I was for said heaviest home European defeat to Sigma Olomouc 1-5.  Can't forget losing 9-0 at Parkhead less than ten years ago. 

I've probably asked this question in another way before but how does the passing of time make you as a fan look on disappointment following The Dandies??  As an example I remember where one happened to be evening we went out on away goals rule against Skonto Riga.  In some Rhyl B&B bedroom while on holiday with my grandparents and two younger brothers without my Mam.  Remember it ruining last bit of vacation so much.  Since Mam has died losing hasn't become irrelevant just it don't seem to bother me as much.  Something I thought we'd never ever come round to.         

Biggest disappointment for me was season 85-86 when we blew the chance of the Treble. IIRC we were sitting 5 points clear in mid-December (remember in those days it was only 2 points for a win) and proceeded to go on a horror run through January/February/March. Difficult to say why we went from being so dominant to being utter horseshit overnight but this was the season where Hearts blew their double. They went on an equally bizarre run of form as we did, going unbeaten for months on end....I'm sure they kicked this run off by beating us 1-0 at Tynecastle in the mid November when they were sitting second or third bottom of the league. Thankfully (and hilariously) ourselves and Celtic ruined their season in the course of a week.

Of course by that point the Gothenburg team was well on the way to dissipating, and Eric Black had told Fergie he was leaving in the summer leading to him being dropped for a good part of the later stages in the season. Perhaps our collapse showed Fergie that the good times were coming to an end....within 6 months he was offski to Man Utd who were an utter basket case in those days. And of course oldco started their revolution in the summer. Still it was a privilege to have been a young loon and witnessing those crazy few years when we were the best team in Europe

Only away games I go to these days are mostly on Tayside,so missed a lot of the above horror shows. Think the most miserable time Ive experienced was the 1 - 0 defeat at home fae Raith in the Cup.Sitting at Pittodrie in the coldest winter in 100 years,during the worst managerial era in our recent history,while watching the fall from grace of a legend.And dumped out the cup by another lower league side. Horrific stuff,and there was worse to come at Parkhead.

Probably why I dont get over-riled by present day events