Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The future of the league

It might just be auld age, the competitive spirit is definitely weakening.

On the other hand, I was doing a fair impression of a 14 year old, jumping up and down when the winner went in against Hearts a few weeks ago.

Nah, it's boredom that is the problem.

Umpteen shite transfer windows in a row, game management even if we win.

I still pay attention to the score but it's only a matter of time before I stop doing that.

Already I book flights away from Aberdeen without bothering to check what game I'm missing.

That would never have happened a few years ago.

Sad to hear people’s lack of interest but it’s the same here. Used to set the alarm to get up and watch games, now don’t really care. Will certainly check the score during and after but the spark has gone. Now the quality of football is so shit I don’t really want to watch, too frustrating, plus I’ve just had it with McInnes. Don’t see how this season gets any better, and don’t see McInnes capable of turning things around. It’s going bad, and has been for a while now.

I think the zombie club rising up the divisions to now sit top of the table is what is hurting most of us knowing that back in 2012, when Rangers went bust that it should have been a new dawn for our game up here, seven years on we are back to a position of Celtic and another team from Glasgow who wear blue being back at the top of our league and folk being happy about this, our own chairman included.

If the zombie club were to win the league this season, I think a lot of supporters of a lot of teams will give up on the Scottish game for good.

I think the zombie club rising up the divisions to now sit top of the table is what is hurting most of us knowing that back in 2012, when Rangers went bust that it should have been a new dawn for our game up here, seven years on we are back to a position of Celtic and another team from Glasgow who wear blue being back at the top of our league and folk being happy about this, our own chairman included.

If the zombie club were to win the league this season, I think a lot of supporters of a lot of teams will give up on the Scottish game for good.

That's about right I'd say. There was only one opportunity to change things and AFC fucked it for everyone. This isn't a hindsight thing either. I suspect most of us argued at the time that there was only one chance to absolutely pummel the scum and change the game for the better in its entirety, or we'd be back to helicopter Sundays within 10 years. I remember arguing with some cunts on dons mad about it at the time we disgustingly voted with the Tims in the 11-1 voting changes. They actually had the audacity to argue that Motherwell and St Mirren (or whoever) were trying to take something away from the mighty AFC. They genuinely couldn't see that we'd need to give up a little in order for the whole league to be better and that by not doing so we were always going to return to the duopoly in short order. Short term greed never pays and all that. The Westhill shit-piece will give the fans something to get excited about for a short period. Within a decade, the idea that the population of Aberdeen are going to bus it out to the windy shite hole to watch 5th placed AFC is a bit ludicrous. I can cope with AFC having a crap team or a shite manager - that's what fitba is about. A systemically bad league and a club designed to perpetuate that will be the death of them for me.

If we're talking of packing it in(in the event of a return to the duopoly),why nae make the effort to look at the possibility of a breakaway league,as we should have 7 years ago,maybe even with an alternative AFC if it came to it

This is exactly what we should be doing (probably deserves a thread of it's own). The SFA/SPFL have got their desired duopoly right now and quite frankly couldn't care less if no other team outwith the arse cheeks wins a league championship for the next 100 years (as none will do under the present sysyem/circumstances). Even cup wins for the provincial clubs will become a rarity as the cheeks become ever financially advantaged over the rest year on year. Of course both Celtic and sevco would fuck off to England or a new European league given the chance (tbh so would we). Provincial club supporters will become increasingly bored with seeing their teams having little to no chance of even winning an occasional cup. Today's youngsters I also believe don't have the "blood of the club running through their veins" that us older ones do and will drift away to other more rewarding pursuits (and likely cheaper ana).

Only radical reorganisation of the system to level out the playing field will sustain it long term. Hopefully the SFA will realise this eventually but I don't hold out much hope.

This is exactly what we should be doing (probably deserves a thread of it's own). The SFA/SPFL have got their desired duopoly right now and quite frankly couldn't care less if no other team outwith the arse cheeks wins a league championship for the next 100 years (as none will do under the present sysyem/circumstances). Even cup wins for the provincial clubs will become a rarity as the cheeks become ever financially advantaged over the rest year on year. Of course both Celtic and sevco would fuck off to England or a new European league given the chance (tbh so would we). Provincial club supporters will become increasingly bored with seeing their teams having little to no chance of even winning an occasional cup. Today's youngsters I also believe don't have the "blood of the club running through their veins" that us older ones do and will drift away to other more rewarding pursuits (and likely cheaper ana).

Only radical reorganisation of the system to level out the playing field will sustain it long term. Hopefully the SFA will realise this eventually but I don't hold out much hope.

Aye, but the only place it's going to come from is the fans. AFC certainly don't want it. In terms of your comments about youngsters, I'd imagine that anyone under the age of 40 has no memory of the dons (last team) winning the league, which is an absolute indictment of our league and should be brought up every single week on the impartial BBC. It's a massive issue. Young fans are living through the worst ever period in Scottish football. Fair play to those that come along and watch it like.

No exaggeration to say that Scottish football was at deaths door pre 2012.If the Chairmen/powers that be cant see or anticipate the same or a worse scenario again,then youd wonder what the heck they do think about.

Weve seen what crowds we and others can get when things are competitive like post 2012.Getting the fans to choose to find the enthusiasm again, for another upheaval V not bothering,and walking away for other pursuits would be the tricky part.