Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Naming the six training pitches

I see the fans are being asked to vote for the naming of the six training pitches - six from the hall of fame -

Alec Young, Alex McLeish, Ally Shewan, Arthur Graham, Chris Anderson, Dick Donald, Donald Colman, Drew Jarvie, Eoin Jess, Fred Martin, Graham Leggat, Henning Boel, Jim Bett, Jim Hermiston, Jim Leighton, Joe Harper, John Hewitt, John McMaster, Martin Buchan, Neale Cooper, Neil Simpson, Peter Weir, Stuart Kennedy, Teddy Scott, Willie Miller

I think Teddy Scott, Joe Harper, and  Willie Miller are a given....perhaps Hewitt for his goal, the other two?? Don't know enough about pre 1983, Cooper for being such a fans favourite? McLeish is our most capped but I doubt he'd get the votes. I think an older player is appropriate but in more modern times is Jess considered enough of a legend? Tough considering we were shite for most of his time here.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went Shewan, Harper, Jarvie, Simpson, Jess and Teddy Scott. Deliberately left out Miller as I'd like to think when the new stadium is up and running he will get a stand named after him (alongside Fergie, Dick Donald and the Gothenburg Greats).

Swithered about Jarvie.....was going to go Buchan but felt that Jarvie's longer service as well as his coaching career desrved it more. Also went for Simmie rather than Cooper on the same grounds (Hopefully they'll find something to commemorate Tattie with...indeed probably will get a pitch in this vote anyway). Others are pretty self explanatory.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Naming stands, stadiums, pitches, whatever after people is an egotistical exercise.  None of the people listed is any more deserving of having a pitch named after them than anyone of ourselves.  They have all been long serving employees of a business, nothing more.  In what other walk of life would a long serving employee have a building named after them?  I hate this idea that we should be massaging the ego of a past player, director, coach or manager. Bullshit exercise.

There are plenty of examples of places being named after people. It happens in all major cities for example. Look at Aberdeen. There are roads named after provost's or even councillors.

What did they do to deserve that "honour"?

There will be disagreements among supporters about who the honour of having a bit of grass named after them should go to. It's a bit of grass and after all, all of the names on the shortlist have played a part, memorable to present day fans or not, of putting Aberdeen football club on the map.

I'm not a fan of ego massage, but in this case, the honour is a great talking point for fans.

I disagree with naming a facility after a millionaire benefactor though.

Naming stands, stadiums, pitches, whatever after people is an egotistical exercise.  None of the people listed is any more deserving of having a pitch named after them than anyone of ourselves.  They have all been long serving employees of a business, nothing more.  In what other walk of life would a long serving employee have a building named after them?  I hate this idea that we should be massaging the ego of a past player, director, coach or manager. Bullshit exercise.

Do you not even think Teddy Scott is deserving of something like a training pitch named after him??  In my opinion he deserves more than a pitch named after him, I would like to have seen his name used for the whole training complex. He was more than an employee, he loved our club and gave his working life to it and it wasn't always a bed of roses for him.

Willie Miller our greatest ever captain was more than just an employee. I doubt we would have been as successful back in the 80s without him leading the team.

These guys that are mentioned are mainly people who were far more than just employees of a business.

I doubt we would have been as successful back in the 80s without him leading the team.

You are spot on with that comment, of course.  I just don't think that makes him any more important than any other player or fan, just my opinion.  WM is iconic for the fans but why is he any more deserving of an honour than someone like Jim Leighton?  John Hewitt is on the list having played 240 odd games for the club so why not Andy Considine who has played over 400 games and been there all his days?  Surely he has given as much to the club although he was not part of our greatest ever side.

We all love the club and many supporters have given just as much time and in some cases money as those on the list.  Willie and the rest have had plenty recognition over the years for what they did in their playing days and will continue to have, I doubt he ever has to buy a drink in the city.  We don't need to blow any more smoke up the arse of any of these people.  I'm sure there are many people behind the scenes who have given a large chunk of their life to the club.   

Fitba fans are deluded by nostalgia at times but in simple terms, these people are just doing their jobs. 

I guess the question would be then, if you don't name a training pitch after a club great, then what or who do you name it after that supporters can relate to?

"The Donna from the back office pitch" would mean diddly squat to the fans.

As there is not an infinite amount of pitches, the "honour" should surely go to someone who is well associated with the club,?

Cannot agree with the "not more important than anyone else" comment. The team of the early to mid 80s were part of something that will never ever be repeated in our club's history. Indeed under the present conditions...…...I doubt we will ever see a Dons side win the League again never mind a European trophy. As such, they deserve special treatment. As should every side that wins us as trophy. With the ever increasing financial advantage the arse cheeks hold over every other club in Scotland, provincial clubs winning trophies will be as rare as hen's teeth.

I agree Consi deserves some sort of recognition for his long service, but that can wait until he has retired. It's doubtful we will ever see "one club men" at the top level of football ever again.

I guess the question would be then, if you don't name a training pitch after a club great, then what or who do you name it after that supporters can relate to?

"The Donna from the back office pitch" would mean diddly squat to the fans.

As there is not an infinite amount of pitches, the "honour" should surely go to someone who is well associated with the club,?

Why do you need to name a training pitch?

Many will disagree, I just don't think ANYONE needs to be put up on a pedestal.  Same goes for things like the Queen's honours.  We are all equal.

Why do you need to name a training pitch?

Many will disagree, I just don't think ANYONE needs to be put up on a pedestal.  Same goes for things like the Queen's honours.  We are all equal.

The only people who say we are all equal are those who are less than average.

Celebrating achievement is healthy. Resenting high achievement is the preserve of those who can't achieve anything but fuck all.

The only people who say we are all equal are those who are less than average.

Celebrating achievement is healthy. Resenting high achievement is the preserve of those who can't achieve anything but fuck all.

Celebrating achievement is fine.  The biggest challenge after success is shutting up about it.

Is your astonishing ineptitude at picking winners in the Nailed On doubles concept in the betting thread a symptom of your knowing fuck all about fitba or is it an indication that you lose in most things in life?

I would have thought that for a 57 year old ex-supporter to spent their time spreading bile and vitriol at all and sundry on a forum for actual Dons fans says a lot more about your life than losing a few small bets says about mine.  :laughing:

I would have thought that for a 57 year old ex-supporter to spent their time spreading bile and vitriol at all and sundry on a forum for actual Dons fans says a lot more about your life than losing a few small bets says about mine.  :laughing:

Failing to tolerate stupidity or pointing out mental sickness when it shows itself is an aspect of personality. The words we use reveal various different aspects of personality. They don't reveal anything about the lives we lead.

This is a basic distinction but an important one. I've never liked cowards and I have no respect for weak, jealous and resentful people. I don't give a fuck how these people lead their "life". I don't want to know.

• 2 months later...

So, Scott, Jess, Cooper, Miller, Harper, and Leighton. Interesting choices, definitely a popularity contest for some, a little surprised by Jess and maybe even Leighton. But then again, can’t really say who I’d replace them with.

Leighton was the only surprise for me, but you cannot argue with his service to the club and he was an excellent keeper for us.

Jess is deserving for his talent, a sublime player, possibly the most talented player I have ever seen come through the ranks and who had the misfortune to be around for some of the worst players in AFC history in the later part of his Dons career.

Jess is deserving for his talent, a sublime player, possibly the most talented player I have ever seen come through the ranks and who had the misfortune to be around for some of the worst players in AFC history.

That's not my opinion. He played with some of the very best AFC footballers. The best central defence without question in Miller and McLeish. The best left back in Davie Robertson. The mercurial Hans Gilhaus was equally sublime. He and Eoin used to bang in goals for fun. Without looking back at his regular teammates, I don't remember many duds. Charlie Nicholas was supreme, Jim Bett was arguably the best footballer we ever had and for me the 1990/91 season was the best footballing side Pittodrie has ever seen.

Edit: just looked back at the records. You're right. He played with some shit in his last few years but when he broke through as a teenager, he was playing with some of the best.