Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Derby County

LA-Don

Shinnie and Lowe both unused subs in Derby’s first league game. Wonder if Shinnie will have peaked with us and while make some money disappear like his brother??

Andrew Shinnie playing at Luton in Championship so hardly disappeared.

As for Graeme Shinnie I cannot see him fitting into Cocu’s style of play and he could well end up back up the road in January on loan to another Scottish club.

It's not a case of "not fitting" into a style of play. It's more to do with the fact he's not a very good footballer.

The easiest way to determine a player's technical ability is to hit firm passes at close range to them and just observe. This exposes both their speed of mind (reactions) and their speed of feet (ability to control). On both counts, Graeme Shinnie would be found wanting. He was a good left back who should never have been shoehorned into midfield. He's got great heart and that made him adequate in a shite league but he can't compete with proper footballers. He's too thick and doesn't have the basic skill set to make it at that level.

I watched a bit of the Huddersfield Derby match last night, more out of interest to see how Derby would perform post-"Lamps", plus I'd seen Huddersfield last season and thought they were hard done by in an absolute thrashing (and I liked their fans). Derby were slick, quick in mind, fit as fuck and very good at getting it under instant control. There's no room in there for the likes of Shinnie who ticks none of these boxes.

Their Left Back, Malone, was breathing out of his arse after the hour mark, he looked reliable enough, but lacked the same energy as Lowe, but that could be down to the fact he was injured a lot last season, and is still playing catch up.

With regards to Shinnie, they were on the back foot, defending their lead, and they opted to put on a 16 year old centre mid instead of Shinnie, was rather surprised at that.

As for Graeme Shinnie I cannot see him fitting into Cocu’s style of play and he could well end up back up the road in January on loan to another Scottish club.

Absolutely what I think will happen. Sevco would be the obvious destination but unless they manage to shed 3 or 4 players by the end of this transfer window, it's doubtful they could afford to. We would no doubt also be interested but if Ojo and Bryson stay fit, the only person he could usurp for a place would be Ferguson and personally I'd rather have Ferguson now anyway.

So I think he'll end up at Hibs.

With regards to Shinnie, they were on the back foot, defending their lead, and they opted to put on a 16 year old centre mid instead of Shinnie, was rather surprised at that.

I saw the first half but was working during the second so only looked up intermittently, usually when the commentator got excited.

Cocu played at the highest level and has already been successful in his managerial career. He will be wondering why the fuck Lampard signed this dud, and it may well have been Max raving about him wot swung it for the inexperienced first-year manager. I'm not surprised he put on a 16 year old. That's good management, to encourage youth and throw them in the deep end. He will have seen more in the kid than he has with the barely average Shinnie.

The reason Shinnie picked up a stupid amount of yellows wasn't because he's a dirty player. It wasn't even that he was so committed, his only redeeming quality (in midfield). His disciplinary record was shocking because his timing and his football brain is considerably below average. He couldn't match his passion with the same skill level.

The reason Shinnie picked up a stupid amount of yellows wasn't because he's a dirty player. It wasn't even that he was so committed, his only redeeming quality (in midfield). His disciplinary record was shocking because his timing and his football brain is considerably below average. He couldn't match his passion with the same skill level.

Excellent points and totally agree, you can see the difference in our midfield already with the signing of two proper footballers in Hedges and Ojo.

1. Excellent points and totally agree,

2. you can see the difference in our midfield already with the signing of two proper footballers in Hedges and Ojo.

1. One of the slides I made up when doing coach presentations - teaching teachers how to teach basically - has only "Facts v. Opinions" on it. The points you "totally agree" with weren't my opinions. They are facts and I say that's it very important to be able to distinguish between the two.

Potential hazard areas include dealing with the stupid and the insecure. The thick cunts aren't able to get such a simple point and have convinced themselves that what they believe to be true is fact, even though there is no data to prove their opinion, often long-held in many cases. The insecure, detesting their own limitations as they do, are desperate to trip up their teachers, particularly when he's from another country and quite obviously doesn't like most of them. They're jealous and envious that their "lecturer" has courage in his convictions and are resentful because he doesn't kiss their sorry ass nor do I make any pretence in this regard. Everyone has weaknesses, one of mine is that I can't pretend and I don't want to be no salesman.

2. That was an interesting addition however. Not being qualified to comment - not having seen either - I'm pleased to hear that AFC might have FINALLY stopped trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Excellent points and totally agree, you can see the difference in our midfield already with the signing of two proper footballers in Hedges and Ojo.

Whilst I agree that Shinnie very much had his limitations I think it's premature to hail Ojo as the vastly superior replacement in the way that you are. So far he's put in a couple of promising performances with the odd booking for a rash/poorly timed challenge thrown in. Sound familiar? They could easily have been Shinnie. I'm not saying Ojo won't turn out to be better either. Just that from what we've seen we can't possibly know. But then again I don't have an agenda even if he was overrated and quite clearly a knob. He never hid that at all.

Whilst I agree that Shinnie very much had his limitations I think it's premature to hail Ojo as the vastly superior replacement in the way that you are. So far he's put in a couple of promising performances with the odd booking for a rash/poorly timed challenge thrown in. Sound familiar? They could easily have been Shinnie. I'm not saying Ojo won't turn out to be better either. Just that from what we've seen we can't possibly know. But then again I don't have an agenda even if he was overrated and quite clearly a knob. He never hid that at all.

Ojo is a totally different player from Shinnie, he can actually pass a ball and dictate a game, SHinnie couldn't do that, my point still stands Ojo looks like more of a footballer than Shinnie ever did as a midfielder.

From what I see Ojo is a legit central midfielder. Shinnie was our left back who initially filled in when we were short of bodies in midfield if I recall. He ended up staying there, mainly due to poor signings and a lack of alternatives. He, from what I understand, enjoyed the initial spell in midfield and decided he was a midfielder at that point. Wonder if he'd be a top notch left back at present had DM/the club done their job(s) and signed proper midfielders. I still valued Shinnie in the team though, think some of you are being a little harsh. However, our style of play has been shit the last two years and much more direct, and you could argue we went more route one because of our weaknesses in our Shinnie led midfield. So far this season it's much more enjoyable to watch and coincides with the arrival of Ojo and Hedges, even Gallagher in midfield.

• 2 weeks later...

Ojo is a totally different player from Shinnie, he can actually pass a ball and dictate a game, SHinnie couldn't do that, my point still stands Ojo looks like more of a footballer than Shinnie ever did as a midfielder.

How long until everyone else sees this side of Ojo that you clearly have? So far he looks like Shinnie in disguise.

How long until everyone else sees this side of Ojo that you clearly have? So far he looks like Shinnie in disguise.

Shinnie worked his fucking arse off in every game he played in and ensured that those around him did the same. He led by example. Some obvious limitations as a player, but a very good player for us.

Shinnie worked his fucking arse off in every game he played in and ensured that those around him did the same. He led by example. Some obvious limitations as a player, but a very good player for us.

That’s the way I see it, did very well for us. Didn’t make the 18 for derby today, no clue if he’s fit or injured.

:eek:

He's easily good enough for that level, given a chance. It took Kenny McLean the best part of 6 months to get into the Norwich team, and he ended up being one of the first names on the team sheet in the latter part of the season.

The main thing that will hold him back is that it'll be difficult to get the initial chance, and unless he makes an immediate impression, he's unlikely to get a decent run of games to establish himself. Russell Anderson had the same problem when he went down south initially.

:eek:

He's easily good enough for that level, given a chance. It took Kenny McLean the best part of 6 months to get into the Norwich team, and he ended up being one of the first names on the team sheet in the latter part of the season.

The main thing that will hold him back is that it'll be difficult to get the initial chance, and unless he makes an immediate impression, he's unlikely to get a decent run of games to establish himself. Russell Anderson had the same problem when he went down south initially.

McLean got injured in first game of the season last year and was out injured for first 6 months. Got back in the team once he was fit.

I agree entirely. I was never one of the Shinnie boo boys like Minijc. Oddly enough he's gone quiet after Ojo's "indifferent" start to his Dons career.

I agree entirely. I was never one of the Shinnie boo boys like Minijc. Oddly enough he's gone quiet after Ojo's "indifferent" start to his Dons career.

Gone quiet lol, early days for Ojo and he hasn't started well but I'm willing to give him time, much like I did with Shinnie but anyone that thinks Shinnie is a capable midfielder is mental and shouldn't be taken seriously, rather amusing that he was left out of the Derby squad at the weekend then made to play under 23s last night.

Gone quiet lol, early days for Ojo and he hasn't started well but I'm willing to give him time, much like I did with Shinnie but anyone that thinks Shinnie is a capable midfielder is mental and shouldn't be taken seriously, rather amusing that he was left out of the Derby squad at the weekend then made to play under 23s last night.

He is a very capable SPL midfielder. He proved that over several seasons. How he fares in England doesn't detract from that in anyway.

He is a very capable SPL midfielder. He proved that over several seasons. How he fares in England doesn't detract from that in anyway.

I'd argue that he never, plenty of games where he ran around like a headless chicken, unable to make a simple pass and worst of all his tackling was way below the standard required.