Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Reduced away end allocation

Don't agree with it at all. I'd only ever agree with reducing an away allocation if it was to accommodate more Aberdeen fans. But actually cutting the overall attendance does us no favours.

Scottish football is moving towards smaller away supports all over the place - including Aberdeen asking for just 900 for the cup replay at Ibrox last season. It's not just the Old Firm - we regularly go to Easter Road and Tynecastle, sell out the away end, but can't get any more tickets despite the home end not being sold out. We'll soon get to a point when our large away allocation at Tannadice will be a thing of the past. Clubs and police don't want the hassle of big away supports anymore, which impacts on the atmosphere.

If the problem is objects being thrown between the two supports, then stick a big netting up between the fence and roof. Many of the away ends in Europe (Groupama Arena for one) had netting covering the whole of the away end.

Shite move.  As Panda says, I would be far happier either netting or an extension of the fence.  Whilst it's funny in principle, it's not going to do us any favours when we're trying to get increased allocation elsewhere, especially since we're not filling it ourselves.  Maybe it's great foresight  :dunno:

I seriously doubt any club actually looks at the away allocaiton at Pittodrie and thinks 'hey they give our fans lots, lets give them a bigger allocation at our ground.

Away fan allocation at stadiums is based on the following factors

1) Capacity of away end

2) Likely hood of security problems

3) Potential of a large away following impacting on 'home advantage'

4) Potential of 2 & 3 resulting in reduced ticket sales in the home end

5) Taking 2,3 & 4 into account how much profit can we make once we deduct the extra security costs, reduced home fans revenue, and potential stadium repairs and fines.

The 900 tickets for theibrox  cup replay was seen by some as the club 'chickening out' and 'bowing down to the old firm' however perhaps it should have been an opportunity for Dons fans to ask why the club would make that decision?

There are some serious fuckwits in the Dons support and one of the most irritating is the drunken snobby ned who will happily declare the homes fans are all scum and live in slums (and actually believe it) at the same time as wiping the vomit from his chin while ignoring the small urine stain on his 'expensive' jeans and smashing his seat and others around it.

Its pricks like this that put me off going to Dons away games and why more recently Ive taken to attending Ross County away matches. The difference in the attitude and behaviour of the two clubs supporters is quite staggering.

As for sticking nets up between supporters, that for me is a sign the clubs have accepted their supporters are animals but will put a token gesture (sticking plaster over a crack in the dam) to show they are trying.

Perhaps this new action will reduce the desire for many who choose seats next to the away fans to rush the segregation fence where the stewards and cops have to put up with the first wave of their bile and spittle.

I don't blame the cops for not wanting the hassle. Cops are there to keep the peace and if several hundred drunken idiots descended on a public place outside of a sporting event its a different story but because its football then they are supposed to tolerate it?

I disagree Tom, it's accepting that the huns are bottom feeders as the vast majority of away fans are fine.  I don't think a banner is going to solve their behaviour.  It'll make it harder to throw, but not impossible.  You'd need a much larger margin than I'm guessing they'll have.  By the way, I'm not saying our away fans are much better, but we're talking about Pittodrie.

As for sticking nets up between supporters, that for me is a sign the clubs have accepted their supporters are animals but will put a token gesture (sticking plaster over a crack in the dam) to show they are trying.

Excellent post Tom.

On this point, it would be tragic when society has to acknowledge that football supporters are scum, unable to behave themselves with civility and likely to commit crimes but it's the sad truth. It's not new either as those of us who were at Hampden 40 years ago remember. Pomagne bottles were the weapon of choice by the Rangers fans and we could barely watch the match for having to monitor the skies. It rained bottles that day and there were many bleeding heads.

Football attracts scum. It always has. The minority make their presence known. The emptiest vassals etc.