Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

McInnes & Docherty

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This'll set the cat up the hoops of the pigeons.

I suppose it is deserved. Milne trying desperately to avoid having to choose another manager in case he fucks it up like every other appointment.

Despite his detractors in this regard - and regardless of whether ye think he's worth it - McInnes has fairly shown a decent amount of commitment to the dons. He clearly enjoys being here.

For me personally, as obviously I don't speak for every Aberdeen supporter, I feel like it's a safe bet. He's steadied us, brought 1 Cup in 2014 and qualified for Europe every season.

The only way he can really be a " success " now is to actually deliver another domestic trophy or two and get into the group stages of Europe. In terms of the League, we should aiming to win it until it becomes mathematically impossible, I don't buy into the " Try and get 3rd " mantra that's been coming out of Pittodrie for the last few months.

Maybe someone could progress us further than McInnes, plays attacking, attractive football etc... Or maybe we'd get stuck in rut and regress further than we were in terms of last season.

Yes he has showed loyalty, but we aren't paying him peanuts. Having turned down sevco there's no other club in Scotland would get near to giving him the kind of salary we do. And I suspect his options in England are now limited at best having turned down Sunderland, albeit they were a total basket case at that point and aren't a whole lot better now. He won't really attract interest down there now by getting us third in the league and reaching but not winning cup finals.

A bit meh about this but not surprised.

Yes he has showed loyalty, but we aren't paying him peanuts. Having turned down sevco there's no other club in Scotland would get near to giving him the kind of salary we do. And I suspect his options in England are now limited at best having turned down Sunderland, albeit they were a total basket case at that point and aren't a whole lot better now. He won't really attract interest down there now by getting us third in the league and reaching but not winning cup finals.

A bit meh about this but not surprised.

Aye, yer right. Sunderland and der hun would easily match what we're paying him obviously, but his options are indeed limited. It's a bit of a rock and a hard place for any prospective AFC manager I suppose. It'd be a huge jump to get anywhere close to the Hun or Tim in spending power (to the point of bankruptcy) and so the base target for any manager is third with a high of 3rd and a cup (in terms of the realistic targets that could be placed on a manager). If he got to the Europa League then I expect a few might take note.

In terms of the League, we should aiming to win it until it becomes mathematically impossible, I don't buy into the " Try and get 3rd " mantra that's been coming out of Pittodrie for the last few months.

That's what the club will be aiming to do. The notion that we wouldn't be is ridiculous - we try and win every game, but we quite quickly lose points to the point it becomes mathematically impossible quite early (generally speaking). However, if the club produced an equivalent to their recent strategy document that said the aim was to be winning the league, what benefit would that produce? Would it make it more likely that we would win the league? Would we make McInnes and the players' bonuses contingent on winning the treble? Or would that just sow division and make the players perform worse? What exactly would the point be of setting a target of first place in front of the wider public?

• 1 month later...

Since the club is stuck with these two duds, thanks to the most poisonous dud dwarf of them all, the chairman, perhaps they might learn to change their ways?

Four of the goals in the Norwich Chelsea game currently on MOTD were scored by footballers 21 years old or younger. If the managers in the best league in the world aren't afraid of youth, what's their excuse?

Edit: Daniel James is also 21, scoring at Old Trafford and looking good. Unless you give youth a chance, you'll never know what they can do. But they need managed properly, their heads full of belief because of the confidence their manager gives them.

And 21 year old Harvey Barnes, subbed on by Brendan, scores a magnificent winner. The first by Vardy was set up by an exquisite pass by Maddison, a player who has been recognised by the England manager and who was speculated might be going to Man U. He was dropped by McInnes in his latter months. Perhaps he didn't fit into "our system"? Whatever the fuck that is.

It’s terrible that three games into our league season so many appear so unhappy yet we have people so supportive of DM. We are awful to watch, yesterday just showing (again) how limited our manager is in trying to get formation and tactics correct, playing players correctly, and getting the best collective performance from a team. What ratio/percentage of fans are unhappy? Is it just miserable cunts like me or a fair chunk of fans??

Don't think anyone is happy with the results and our eye-bleedingly awful style of play.

Plenty jumping on the "McInnes out" bus. Pretty pointless as with a 3 year contract and the ink not yet dry on it, he'd cost a fortune to dunt just by himself...…...never mind dunting his backroom staff on top. If the crowds dwindled to 6 or 7k on the back of our poor form continuing the board might just be forced to act but that is a long way off yet.

Can't see any English clubs coming calling any time soon (at least of a level that he would be interested in/could afford him). So our only hope is that he walks. If the fans turned against him vocally and consitantly over a period of time he might just consider his position (and accept a pay off that we could just about afford). But again that is a good bit off yet and if our form improves just won't be happening.

I don't get why employees who fail in their jobs get big pay-outs.

Ok, it's all down to the terms of each individual contract but who the fuck is negotiating the club into this death position? In the real world, useless fuckers get the bullet and a minimum amount to fuck off.

In the real world even useful fuckers get the bullet and a minimum amount to fuck off (As anyone who has experienced statutory redundancy pay will know)

Whatever muppet brought about the rules behind the Bosman rulling really did a number on the teams.

Seems the only way you can get sacked and get nothing is if you commit a criminal offence.

I'm not totally familiar with the Bosman rules but I'm sure that if McInnes and his sidekick do get healthy fuck off money, it'll be more to do with the terms that Milne gave him more than anything else. To be fair, the club can't be seen as mercenary and a harsh employer but fuck me, this cunt of a manager isn't good enough to be employed at all, let alone for this long and certainly not for this type of money.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if any of you are aware, or if you even care, but the main reason why the performances on the pitch are going backwards at an accelerating pace is that the manager isn't enjoying it. He doesn't want to be here. It's written deeply in his face and we can hear it in his voice. Not that his non-smiling visage and his tones weren't offensive enough to begin with.

That's assuming the pace of deterioration is accelerating? I wouldn't know from first hand experience this year but it was always headed that way.

But I do know people and I know football. McInnes is a fucking useless charlatan cunt.

The strangest thing I have thought about McInnes was his decision leave his family down in Renfrewshire and not move them up here permanently. I sort of get why he won't do it now despite the new 3 year contract in his hipper as his children are now of exam taking age and he wouldn't want to upset their education at a vital stage....but he's been here well over 6 years now.....when he first took the job on they would have been primary school or just into high school. I doubt this would have been tolerated in the not too distant past. Those of you that are of a similar vintage will remember dear old Jum McLean's diktat, written into players' contracts, that they had to live within a certain radius of Tannadice, roughly equivalent to that bounded by Forfar, Perth, North East Fife and Arbroath. Of course Human Rights Laws would prevent such doings in these enlightened times.

After a lot of enthusiasm prior to the season starting at, for once, getting players in early to allow them to bed into to club, it's all gone dreadfully flat. Any optimism has been washed away in a torrent of harsh reality that we really aren't very good. Sure for the 2nd season in a row the squad has suffered a horrendous run of injuries (last season early suspensions played a part) but it has become evident we are now in the situation that the SFA craved.....a duopoly of the Glasgow clubs dominating with everyone else just a supporting act, essentially only to make the numbers up. Yes we are third....but that is because the other clubs aren't very god either plus we haven't faced the Glasgow clubs yet but are about to enter a month where we face both and Hibs and Motherwell. Conceiveable we could get hee haw out of those fixtures and find ourselves in the bottom half of the league.

I hope that our esteemed chairman is now regretting that contract extension each morning he wakes up. Because to get rid of McInnes now is going to be a very costly exercise.

The bottom line here, and I am absolutely certain of it, is that McInnes is here until he decides otherwise. Milne did everything he could to convince him to stay when Sunderland/Rangers came calling, if rumours about his excessive wages are to believed as well, then he's going nowhere. Someone suggested on Social Media the other day there that what would it take for him to be sacked, bottom 6 finish and out of both Cups at early stages.....massive LOL, even then he'd be safe, he has it great here, a hierarchy that adore him, a relatively healthy budget in terms of Scottish Football, I would even argue that there's still a healthy chunk of our Support that laud the man ( But I put that down to the turgid pish we've endured the years preceding his arrival, they have became enablers instead of daring to dream that little bit bigger ) and I would also argue that our Board are happy to reach semi finals & finish anywhere in the Top 6 to be honest.

As I said at the start of this Topic, McInnes was a safe bet, he won't get us relegated and it's very unlikely we'll finish bottom 6, his sole aim at the start of the Season is to qualify for the Europa League and have another day out at Hampden. I maintain that when he initially arrived, he had it relatively easy, as the years have wore on though, and certain teams have came back and at the same time, we can't hold on to key players, then it's went downhill, the Football on display in particular is a fucking travesty and his complete inability/stubbornish to change it up is infuriating. We are so predictable on our setup, we look incapable of scoring from open play and the Players themselves more often than not, look unsure as to what they are supposed to be doing.

It all stems from McInnes, what do we do in training? Practice on how to win free kicks and penalties? Have a fucking laugh and a joke? I actually get that feeling of arrogance from McInnes, like he thinks he's some sort of hotshot and would eat himself if he was Chocolate.

It's bitterly disappointing, I have grown to completely dislike the man, never used to, thought he was the correct appointment at the time, but the times have moved on and sadly for us, he has not, he's ran his race and he is too stubborn to change his ways, which I can categorically state here and now, will hold us back & tarnish any decent reputation the guy built here, fans will turn on him and it'll all end bitterly with resentment from both parties.

I don't know if any of you are aware, or if you even care, but the main reason why the performances on the pitch are going backwards at an accelerating pace is that the manager isn't enjoying it. He doesn't want to be here. It's written deeply in his face and we can hear it in his voice. Not that his non-smiling visage and his tones weren't offensive enough to begin with.

That's assuming the pace of deterioration is accelerating? I wouldn't know from first hand experience this year but it was always headed that way.

But I do know people and I know football. McInnes is a fucking useless charlatan cunt.

I've thought the same for a while now. I think he wanted the Hun job when it came and was probably shocked when it all went wrong, but he knows he is a busted flush in football and that a bigger job will never come his way. All he is doing is feathering his nest knowing that when he does leave us he will probably just retire from the game.

There is only so long an average manager can last at a club like ours and have a degree of success, he would have been better off leaving at the end of the 2016/2017 season, I think his stock would have been high at that point.

Having far too cosy a relationship with the clown Milne doesn't help matters much either.

I agree he wanted the Hun job and as far as I'm aware....yes the rumours of what he is getting paid are indeed true (cant comment on the new extension but you can be sure its on at least the same terms as the one Wiggy handed over after the sevco flirtation)

I've always said that the only way he gets fired is if he has us in relegation trouble come late Feb/early March of any season. Which, as others have said, is unlikely. We could easily slip down the table to anywhere between 5th and 8th though. With the size and length of his contract, the board wouldn't be happy but, bearing in mind what he's being paid, I doubt they'd take action on the strength of that alone. Certainly for the first 2 years of the contract, I think they'd consider it far too expensive to bullet him (paying up the residual on his contract, plus Docherty's alongside) and have to cough up for a replacement management team on top (for sure they won't be appointing anyone as expensive but its still an extra spending they haven't accounted for)

There seems to be a groundswell of opinion amongst our support that his time is up. He had this season on his contract and the sensible thing to have done was wait to see how e were doing in January.....poor in the leaue with no League Cup victory then he could have been told he could see out the season, thanked for his excellent service and a parting of ways announced. He would still have seen his pet project the new training ground opened as he certainly deserved to.

I think the only way he will get punted now is for the fans to start protesting a la Hearts style at every home game from now on PLUS watching the crowds dwindle away. On paper we are averaging about 14.5k but that's including all season tickets. In practice is more likely to be 12.5-13k. I think it would take crowds significantly dropping from that level....not just to around 10k but maybe 8.5-9k and then the board would seriously have to consider his position. The next month looks quite bleak on paper.....both arse cheeks, Hibs and Motherwell to face. Hibs are rank but we aint great ourselves. I don't think we will come out of it with nothing but I don't expect any more than 4 points max, more likely between 1 and 3. If that happens crowds will certainly drop and the protests should begin.

Look here as well, minute 4.36 to 5.36, what has done to rectify this? Be honest with yourself when answering. He actually goes on to say as well, that " I know what needs to be done and where I want to improve on, I've probably known for a while now "

Last night could be classed as a similar situation I suppose, a handful of injuries and we didn't have the squad to cope, simple as that really, or, you could argue that we had enough quality on the pitch and were 2-1 up and minutes away from a Semi Final until our managers negativity came back to bite him in the arse.

So why are people still positive for DM? Quality of football is so clearly shite and it’s clear we’re on the decline and have been for 2-3 years now. And based on the weekly performances I don’t know what the fuck we do in training. Zero quality and zero leadership on the park. A rudderless ship and have the players tuned out their buddy manager? One trophy in 6 years and ‘success’ in the league when everyone else around us was even shiter and broke. Now we’re just as bad and it’s 2 teams and everyone else in the league now. The quality of opponent is so poor in my eyes and on any given day we could win or lose to anyone outside the old firm. Just don’t see us touching either Celtic or Rangers this year. Our current league position masks how really shit we are and we’re running out of players. We’re only 8 points off bottom and while I don’t see us getting relegated I think bottom 6 isn’t out of the picture.

Is it fair to say that the DM supporters are ‘younger’ fans who grew up remembering us from early to mid 90s onwards when we were pish? My memories start 80/81 and I don’t see DM as a better manager than McNeill, Ferguson, Knox, Smith, Scott, maybe even Willie Miller.

Totally agree about him not being as good as that list of managers...…….well perhaps Knox excepted. There are

those who will say Miller won nothing and it is fair comment. However I think Miller's team would walk the league today by 10 points minimum and the football they played was a joy to watch into the bargain.

However we do live in changed times and I don't just see us not touching the arse cheeks this season...…..as things stand I don't see us touching them ever again. The financial gap is just too great. The SFA and SPFL have got what they want. When push comes to shove, they really couldn't give a shit about the rest of the clubs.