Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Pittodrie's Top Ten European Nights

Interesting to see how many of these we've all been to.

The first one in the list of ten to be issued over the next couple of weeks on the official site just so happens to have been my first ever European experience at Pittodrie. Remember the match, but certainly didn't remember all the carry on and ill feeling leading up to it.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2019/06/26/top-10-pittodrie-european-nights-no-10/

Reckon Rocket & MBT might have been there as well as both of similar vintage to myself  ;)

A bit before my time,but Ex Abmadders donsdaft and Alladinsane might remember.First ones I recall were the Marek Dimitrov,Fortuna Dusseldorf era onwards,mustnt grumble.

Top 5 - Bayern '83,Ipswich '82,Waterschei '83,Ujpest Dozsa '84 and Copenhagen '07 for me

Can I have a dead heat between FC Copenhagen (2007) and Bayern Munich (2008) please??  Became an author the day we played our German Giants so utterly over the moon with a 2-2 draw given I was fully expecting to get thumped five or six nil.  Danish Delight I'll never forget til day one does die.  Pretty positive we had an outer body experience that evening as fourth goal from Ricky Foster went in. 

Personally speaking thoroughly enjoyed atmosphere small band of Apollon Limassol supporters created throughout match.  Kairat Almaty encounter is something remembered fondly.  Not sure why but walked out stadium rather pleased at how much effort the boys made to turn tie around.  For some strange reason Burnley draw at Pittodrie meant a lot to me too.  Also quite proud way we'd fought back grabbing late leveller against Maribor given one had conceded so deep.  Easily could have just played not to concede another.  Finally after going 2-0 down versus HNK Rijeka SeeBass found himself talking to his Mam and started praying to her that she'd seen us through such uncomfortable circumstances at time.             

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Can I have a dead heat between FC Copenhagen (2007) and Bayern Munich (2008) please??  Became an author the day we played our German Giants so utterly over the moon with a 2-2 draw given I was fully expecting to get thumped five or six nil.  Danish Delight I'll never forget til day one does die.  Pretty positive we had an outer body experience that evening as fourth goal from Ricky Foster went in. 

Personally speaking thoroughly enjoyed atmosphere small band of Apollon Limassol supporters created throughout match.  Kairat Almaty encounter is something remembered fondly.  Not sure why but walked out stadium rather pleased at how much effort the boys made to turn tie around.  For some strange reason Burnley draw at Pittodrie meant a lot to me too.  Also quite proud way we'd fought back grabbing late leveller against Maribor given one had conceded so deep.  Easily could have just played not to concede another.  Finally after going 2-0 down versus HNK Rijeka SeeBass found himself talking to his Mam and started praying to her that she'd seen us through such uncomfortable circumstances at time.           

You know the 2-2 with Bayern in 2008 has to be right up there SeeBass.  The reason being, as you say, we were really expected to be absolutely humped (as was the case in the second leg) and had a bang average team back then.  Although I was too young to witness the great results in the early 80s, the fans knew we had good players back then.  It was a real rabbit out of the hat the 2-2 with Bayern and undoubtedly Calderwood's finest moment.

Interesting to see how many of these we've all been to.

The first one in the list of ten to be issued over the next couple of weeks on the official site just so happens to have been my first ever European experience at Pittodrie. Remember the match, but certainly didn't remember all the carry on and ill feeling leading up to it.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2019/06/26/top-10-pittodrie-european-nights-no-10/

Reckon Rocket & MBT might have been there as well as both of similar vintage to myself  ;)

Wasn't there, sadly, the joys of growing up in Thurso really precluded many games, especially midweek.

And SeeBass get his wish with the game against Bayern on 14th February 2008 coming in at number nine on the list of top ten:

In 2008 some 25 years after the Dons win over Bayern, it was almost poignant the Dons would face their German foes again.

In a game which had a tea-time kick off the suit German TV, England Under-19 team-mates Josh Walker and Sone Aluko both gave Aberdeen the lead in the first half with Miroslav Klose replying during sustained pressure in between. But Hamit Altintop levelled after Spanish referee Eduardo Iturralde Gonzalez had penalised Alan Maybury for handball despite previously ignoring two similar Aberdeen appeals.

The decision deprived Aberdeen of the chance to hold on for another famous win over Bayern.

No-one had expected the Dons to pull off a repeat, especially with five men injured, but they came so close thanks to a positive first-half show in the first leg.

With Jackie McNamara and Derek Young among the absentees, Jimmy Calderwood brought in Andrew Considine, Lee Mair and Aluko. Their first penalty claim came within 30 seconds when Andreas Ottl handled as he tried to head clear Aluko’s cross.

Zander Diamond cleared Altintop’s weak effort off the line, but the Dons continued positively, with Bayern troubled by direct runs from Aluko and Darren Mackie, who partnered Lee Miller up front. Aberdeen’s promising start was rewarded when they stunned the Bundesliga leaders with a 24th-minute opener crafted by the two on-loan teenagers.

Aluko held up a high ball before laying it off to Walker, and the 18-year-old Middlesbrough reserve curled a superb shot into the corner from more than 20 yards.

Josh Walker (centre) rifles Aberdeen into a shock first half lead with his first goal for the club

Klose scored a simple equaliser in the 29th minute as he found the top corner following Luca Toni’s head-on.

Just as Bayern appeared to have taken a grip of proceedings, the Dons regained the lead in the 41st minute. Miller’s deft flick released Aluko and he drilled the ball underneath Michael Rensing, who had stepped in after an ill Oliver Kahn had flown home without leaving the plane. Aluko ran beyond Bayern’s defence again but he curled a 25-yard shot wide.

His Birmingham boss Alex McLeish was among the 1983 heroes paraded at half-time, but the current generation’s hopes of creating their own piece of history were soon dashed. Ze Roberto’s cross struck the hand of Maybury a few yards away, and Gonzalez’s consistency came into question when he pointed to the spot. Langfield saved Altintop’s penalty but the Turkey midfielder was first to the rebound to net a 55th-minute leveller.

The 20,047 crowd hailed Aberdeen at the end of another memorable European night in the Granite City.

Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood bemoaned the double standards which denied them a famous win: ‘We should have got a hand ball decision in the first half and didn’t.

“Jamie was very unlucky, if it had come out at an angle it would have been fine. We were hoping to get a bit of history but we still got a wee bit. I thought at times in the first half we played very well. “Good teams allow you to play, you have got to have the confidence to do so. The boys got a lot of confidence from that. We know we have got to score there so there will be no point sitting back.”

The Dons boss hailed loan pair Walker, of Middlesbrough, and Birmingham winger Aluko, who are England Under-19 team-mates. He said: “Fabulous – they have got a big career ahead of them. I think you can see why Walker has been the captain of the England Under-16s, 18s and now 19s. They were two wonderful goals – the execution was great. For the second it was a wonderful touch from Lee Miller and wee man has flicked it up and finished it.”

Bayern boss Ottmar Hitzfeld thought his team deserved the penalty – but agreed the draw was a fair result.

“It was a wonderful UEFA Cup match,” the German said.

It was a shite penalty decision. Cheating cunts.

Agreed Rico. Was in the south stand almost in line with us.

Couldn't believe it when it was given.

Still genuinely believe we were robbed that night.

Remember the Luca Toni chant

Agreed Rico. Was in the south stand almost in line with us.

Couldn't believe it when it was given.

Still genuinely believe we were robbed that night.

Remember the Luca Toni chant

Even huns thought we were robbed that night. Drunken blur but what a night to be at Pittodrie.  South Stand was absolutely rocking that night.

I honestly struggle every week which game Bayern Munich (2008) or FC Copenhagen (2007) is my favourite.  Really is like 51% to 49% in favour of Danish Delight.  Believe we just favour said outer body experience from 20th December 12 years ago. 

8 HNK Rijeka 2015

Honestly thought we were going to through away our 3-0 lead from the away leg. things got a little bit nervy for a while in the second half. Also worth mentioning that Goodwillie had a great game leading the line.

======================================================================

Manager Derek McInnes made it clear Aberdeen would need to do a professional job to see out the tie despite the magnificent and astonishing 3-0 first-leg win in Croatia – up there with the Dons greatest away performances in Europe.

Kenny McLean was preferred to Peter Pawlett in the starting line-up with David Goodwillie once again the lone striker with everyone in a red jersey apart from him quick to get back into a good defensive shape whenever Rijeka were in possession.

After a first half where the Dons had managed the game brilliantly, suddenly after an hour it was game on.

Two quick goals for the visitors, who showed just how much quality they had in their side, and Pittodrie became very nervous.

After a sterile first half Rijeka threatened a miracle recovery from their 3-0 aggregate deficit when Marin Tomasov scored with a sublime strike. Substitute Zoran Krvzic then netted with the aid of wicked deflection which took the ball flying over a helpless Danny Ward.

However, that Aberdeen side was made of stern stuff.

As well as having real quality they had the mental strength to cope with those situations and minutes after the second goal from Rijeka Niall McGinn popped up to score with a great strike. It was a goal of real quality.

Pittodrie erupted.

The tie was safe, however the Dons made sure of their passage into the next round when the outstanding David Goodwillie set up Jonny Hayes, who had missed a great chance 1-0.

The 2-2 draw in the end saw the Dons progress into the next round.

HNK Rijeka were a class act on and off the pitch, showed great humility after the game, and were respectful of Aberdeen who clearly rattled the Croatians in the first leg and had the guile to come through strongly at Pittodrie.

As a footnote, Filip Bradari? played against the Dons in both legs. On 26 June 2018, he came on as a substitute for Luka Modri? in the 65th minute of the World Cup match against Iceland, becoming the third player in Rijeka’s history to feature in the tournament.

Another one for SeeBass  :thumbsup:

=================

7 Copenhagen 2007

The Dons incredible Euro run in 2007.08 peaked with a marvellous 4-0 win over Copenhagen in a night that brought back memories of the Dons golden era.

Aberdeen swept into the last 32 of the UEFA Cup after two goals from Jamie Smith against an arrogant Copenhagen side helped secure third spot in qualifying Group B. Copenhagen, who arrived needing just a draw to go through at Aberdeen’s expense, were on top before the break, but Smith’s superb volley from 25 yards put the Dons in front after 47 minutes.

Smith shot home from the edge of the box, Mikael Antonsson turned the ball into his own net following a Lee Miller cross and Ricky Foster fired a fourth. In the end, it was a thoroughly deserved first victory in Europe that season for the Dons, who had qualified on the away goals rule and then only drawn one of their other three group games.

Copenhagen were peppering the Dons goal with long-range efforts and Atiba Hutchinson was closest with a drive that flew just over from 20 yards. Former Chelsea winger Jesper Gronkjaer, who had been missing for a month with a hamstring injury, returned for Copenhagen and fired straight at goalkeeper Jamie Langfield from a difficult angle after a quick and incisive break.

A last-ditch challenge from the outstanding Richie Byrne was required to thwart Libor Sionko as the former Rangers winger escaped the Dons’ offside trap and Gronkjaer fired another chance into the side-netting.

However, that was remedied three minutes after the break, with the Dons seemingly under instruction to loft high balls towards the centre of a fragile Danish defence.

Copenhagen were slow to react to a Langfield punt, it sat up nicely for Smith and he lofted his volley over the stranded Christiansen from 25 yards. Miller delivered the high ball eight minutes later and Smith took his time before drilling it low across the face of Christiansen and into the far corner of the net from 18 yards.

Smith missed an easier chance to complete his hat-trick but found the side-netting after being put clear following Michael Hart’s superb run and through ball.

Aberdeen’s third eventually came after 71 minutes, when Miller did superbly to beat his marker and turn the ball across goal, where Antonsson deflected it into his own net.

Ailton Almeida fired against a Dons post, but any hopes of a late comeback were dashed after 82 minutes. Richard Foster fired home from close range following a low cross from fellow substitute Chris Maguire to complete a night of celebration at Pittodrie.

Remember those hooters?!

Another one to tick off that I attended :thumbsup:

6 Austria Memphis 1980

History was made when Austrian champions Austria Vienna came to Pittodrie in 1980.

It was the Dons first ever European Champions Cup tie. Aberdeen continued building their growing reputation in European football with a vital 1-0 win.

A first half goal from Mark McGhee in 31 minutes was enough to separate the sides as the Dons went to Vienna and closed out the tie with an impressive defensive performance.

In the first clash, the Dons were perhaps fortunate to keep the lively Austrians out as their quick incisive attacks caused problems.

Main culprit was Austrian international Walter Schachner who missed two great chances. McGhee took advantage of a loose ball in the box to steer the ball past Koncilia to give Aberdeen the lead.

The Dons pressed in the second half and were unlucky not to add to their lead.

An Alex McLeish header came back off the bar as the Austrians were pushed back for long spells.

Manager Alex Ferguson was happy enough at full time;

“I was looking to take any lead to Vienna for the return. The fact we didn’t concede was vital; they will need to come at us more over there so that will suit us.”.

Austria Vienna were known back in 1980 as Austria Memphis. The Dons would go through 1-0 on aggregate to book a meeting with Liverpool.

It is a victory that should not be over looked, not just because it the was Dons first ever victory in the Champions Cup, but also due to the pedigree of the opposition at that time.

Austria Wien as they are also known, reached the 1978 European Cup Winners’ Cup final, which they lost 4–0 to Belgian club Anderlecht.

The following season, the club reached the semi-finals of the European Cup, losing 1–0 on aggregate to Swedish team Malmö FF, who in turn would lose to Nottingham Forrest in the final. In 1982–83, Austria Vienna reached the semi-finals of the Cup Winners’ Cup after knocking out Spanish giants Barcelona, but lost 5–3 on aggregate to fellow Spanish side Real Madrid, who in turn would lose the final in Gothenburg to a certain outfit from the North-east of Scotland …..

Another one that I attended  :thumbsup:

Mark McGhee's finest match in an Aberdeen shirt

5 Ujpest Dosza 1984

An abject display (we are being kind..) in the first leg in Hungary as the Dons went down 2-0 suggested that their hold on the European Cup Winners Cup in 1984 was gone.

Aberdeen had never pulled back a two?goal deficit in Europe and no team had ever retained the ECWC.

The away leg was a game that defied belief. Even now when you watch it back, it still defines belief.

Aberdeen dominated the game but were guilty of some comical defending which gifted the home side two goals and at the other end two inexplicable misses from Strachan and McGhee from all of two yards – as bad as you will ever see – let’s just say incurred the wrath of manager Alex Ferguson.

In the end though Mark McGhee was the sinner turned hero after his two goals forced the game into extra time.

It needed a more typical display from the Dons in a frantic Pittodrie return.

Full of passion and grit Aberdeen overcame all the histrionics from the visitors. This was a night of real drama as the Hungarians were holding on and up to all sorts of time wasting tricks.

It took the Dons 37 minutes to finally break down the defensive wall and the chance was carved out when McLeish refused to give up the cause and kept in play a ball that looked destined to head for a goal kick.

The ball then fell to Miller and he found Strachan on the edge of the box. His cross went deep to the back post where McGhee stretched his neck muscles to head past Szendrei. Pittodrie erupted into a cauldron of noise and the final eight minutes of the half were played out in an electric atmosphere that clearly unnerved the visitors.

Ujpest were desperate throughout the second half as Aberdeen laid siege on their goal. The persistent fouling was allowed by the Belgian referee much to the frustration of the Aberdeen support.

Their antics appeared to have worked but two minutes from time Mark McGhee at last broke free to head the Dons second which levelled the tie and took the game to extra time. A throw in on the left was fed to Neil Simpson and his cross found McGhee in the middle and he prodded the ball past Szendrei from six yards.

People still talk about the atmosphere of Bayern Munich quarter final twelve months earlier, but the noise when the equaliser hit the net must be up there with anything the old stadium has heard.

The Hungarians were shattered by the late leveller and the Dons continued to pile on the pressure.

McGhee scored three minutes into extra time to put Aberdeen ahead in the tie for the first time and the Dons through to the semi-finals of the ECWC for the second time in their history.

Hungarian keeper Szendrei then head-butted Alex McLeish before being sent off.

No I wasn't at that game even though I am of your same vintage and first went to Pittodrie in the 60's. We were living overseas at that time and I remember my uncles sent me the programme.

Greatest European night was 3-2 v. Bayern. Nothing else came close but Ipswich, Waterschei and Hamburg were very special nights too.

No I wasn't at that game even though I am of your same vintage and first went to Pittodrie in the 60's. We were living overseas at that time and I remember my uncles sent me the programme.

Greatest European night was 3-2 v. Bayern. Nothing else came close but Ipswich, Waterschei and Hamburg were very special nights too.

Can't disagree Rocket with the four you mention and reckon they will be the top four. Bayern' bound to be the top one but the others could literally be in any order

Can't disagree Rocket with the four you mention and reckon they will be the top four. Bayern' bound to be the top one but the others could literally be in any order

You guys clearly weren't at the Skonto Riga game. Absolute classic.

Torino was a good game. Don't remember any other decent ones in the 90s.

You guys clearly weren't at the Skonto Riga game. Absolute classic.

Sair een. We moved to Melbourne for 3 years. My first game back was that one so I know it was 1994.

And unlike the wife who had two trips home, I didn't travel back at all during that period so my last game before leaving was Ibrox May 1991.

I should have therefore foreseen the downward trend. I just couldn't imagine a local midget wig-wearing cunt would fuck it all up so badly whilst we watched it all happen.

Yep another one I was at. If Ujpest Dosza was McGhee's finest match, then this was surely Peter Weir's finest match in an Aberdeen shirt.

4 Ipswich Town 1981

After the first game at Portman Road, Ipswich manager Bobby Robson famously declared that Aberdeen could not play as well again following a 1-1 draw.

Well he was wrong.

A sensational night in the return saw Aberdeen defeat the holders 3-1 with two second half goals from Peter Weir.

Aberdeen displayed all the passion and craft that was too much for an Ipswich side, highly rated as the most ‘complete’ side in British football at that time.

They will never play as good as that again” was the after-match comment by the legendary Bobby Robson, the then manager of his impressive Ipswich town side in 1981.

As holders of the UEFA Cup and early leaders in the top division in England, Ipswich were one of the best sides around at that time. Many believe Robson’s squad were the best ever team in England not to win the English top League.

Not surprisingly the English media were dismissive of Aberdeen as they were paired with the holders in the opening round of the 1981.82 UEFA Cup competition.

Robson was also confident his side would prevail, even after the Dons went to Portman Road and came back with a 1-1 draw, a result which was well merited.

Bobby Robson was happy enough with his team and he was unconcerned that the ‘Battle of Britain’ tag would work against his side.

What the Ipswich manager did not count on was a passionate full house at Pittodrie for the return and a team so pumped up by their manager that they set about Ipswich like a pack of dervishes from the kick off.

In what was a classic European night at Pittodrie, the Dons showed a class and guile that was too much for Ipswich who were eventually out thought, out played and out classed by a slick Aberdeen side.

Peter Weir was the Aberdeen hero with two goals in the second half as the Aberdeen support in the Beach End behind the goal almost took the roof off the old place. Weir was in direct opposition to England captain and full back Mick Mills, who was tormented by the Aberdeen winger for long spells.

Aberdeen could even afford a missed Gordon Strachan penalty late in the game as the 3-1 second leg win was one of the finest results that Aberdeen ever achieved in the European arena.

Agreed, which means I was at 7 and missed matches 7, 8 and 10. Copenhagen happened in 2007 and was the only game I wish I'd been at (watched it on the telly) but it was the calendar year I boycotted Calderwood's AFC, Bayern therefore being early 2008. If there's another decent European night at Pittodrie, I'll not be there. Come to think of it, if there's ever a decent match at Pittodrie again, European or otherwise, I'll not be there.

Wasn't John Wark Top Scorer in the competition with like 14 goals or something the year Ipswich Town won UEFA Cup??  I always thought he was a defender as well.

Wark in the earlier part of his career was a midfielder, scored loads making late runs into the box. Later on in his career having had a few injuries, he converted himself to a central defender