Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

McInnes Best Signing

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Somebody voted for Lewis Ferguson  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think for consistency's sake, apart from last season there, Shay Logan has been an excellent signing, he chipped in with goals, assists and defended well for several seasons, he gets my vote purely because he was a permanent signing ( Eventually ) the loans all contributed and some have gone on to get big moves.

Joe Lewis is by far and away an outstanding piece of business, but I pipped for Logan purely because, well I actually don't know, I just did.

And before anyone has a go at my laughing at Ferguson, it's because he's never stood out in any games, yes, we all know he's scored an important goal or two, but his overall performances have been average at best, some games atrocious, that's what I am laughing at, said it plenty of times, he'll develop into a terrific player, and a signing like Bryson will only help him develop more.

EDIT TO ADD, Hector deserves a mention, he was a good addition as well, classy player.

I also voted Lewis.

My first instinct was Logan but the excellence of his first season has since declined into mediocrity, the comfort level default that the manager is so expert at.

Plus the goalkeeper and centre of defence are the most important positions of any successful team, success being a quality McInnes is unfamiliar with and will never attain.

Another Lewis vote

But controversially...nearly went for Cosgrove. £20k punt that for all the world looked like £20k down the toilet but Mcinnes saw something there that no one else did and unless he breaks his neck will net us a tidy profit somewhere down the line.

As others have said.....Logan was tremendously consistent in his first couple of seasons. But he was rank rotten for the first 2/3 of season 17/18 and was really no better for the majorirty of last season. His injury requiring surgery I think may have done him a favour, giving him a decent rest. All this toing and froing to England to visit his kids must take a toll.

Lewis. I think Shinnie was an excellent signing (as was McLean) due to the fact that I didn't think we'd get either of them, but they were also very easy signings that we knew could go directly into our first team and perform in the SPL. Ferguson has to be very high up the list because absolutely nobody expected him to be where he is now after signing him. He's a tremendous talent who'll only get better and I'm still very surprised at McInnes noticing his talent before anyone else. In terms of return on investment, I suspect he could be the one that sees the greatest return (in absolute terms, rather than in percentage as I expect Cosgrove will earn us 20 times what we paid for him).

I went for Lewis probably cause hes still here and hes been excellent. Rooney is the other who id consider. Shinnie was good and i think we all realise we will miss him, But hes not the best for me. Cosgrove and Ferguson may prove to be great signings. Both are young lads that have made a positive start but still have a lot to prove in my eyes. I also dont think Christie should be on this list, we only loaned himand he was never really our player.

I went for Lewis probably cause hes still here and hes been excellent. Rooney is the other who id consider. Shinnie was good and i think we all realise we will miss him, But hes not the best for me. Cosgrove and Ferguson may prove to be great signings. Both are young lads that have made a positive start but still have a lot to prove in my eyes. I also dont think Christie should be on this list, we only loaned himand he was never really our player.

Same could be said for Ward, Maddison & Lowe to be honest.

Same could be said for Ward, Maddison & Lowe to be honest.

Exactly. Seabass, edit the list to remove the loanees (unless then signed permanently like Logan). If you could also write a longer list of McInnes Worst Signings, that'd be great. Just when you have a spare minute.

Exactly. Seabass, edit the list to remove the loanees (unless then signed permanently like Logan). If you could also write a longer list of McInnes Worst Signings, that'd be great. Just when you have a spare minute.

Christ min, just how much time on his hands do you think SeeBass has  :laughing:

Christ min, just how much time on his hands do you think SeeBass has  :laughing:

Aye, you're right. Just the top ten worst signings then Seabass. I'll start:

Zola

Tate

Mclachlan

Parker

Tansey

Forrester

Storey

Morris

Wylde

Nwakali

Edit: of course some of those weren't permanent. Replace McLachlan with Maynard (I'd erased him from my memory), Tate with Gleeson and Nwakali with Halford. Was Parker a loanee? If so, replace with £400K Stevie May.

Fucking hell that makes for scarey reading.

There really have been some horrific signings when you look at that list :o

I'll edit the original poll to remove loan players  :thumbsup:

Exactly. I didn't even include Rapey McRapesonface or Arneson and a couple of others (Ash) that could have been on it.

Good work!

Joe Lewis by some distance. Having him between the sticks makes you realise how bad some of the shyte we had in the position before him and shows the difference a good keeper makes to the team.

Joe should be the quality benchmark we use when recruiting for any position.

Joe should be the quality benchmark we use when recruiting for any position.

But that's just a slogan though isn't it? I'm pretty certain that McInnes is buying players that he believes will be as good in their position as Joe is in his, it just turns out that they are not. It is very difficult to tranpose Joe's abilities as a goalie to an outfield player. He's just fantastically good at what he does (I'd argue the best in the league). There aren't really any attributes of Joe's that you think "if only Nial McGinn had those attributes he'd be amazing" for example. You could look at Shinnie and say "if every player had his work ethic, aggression and leadership" then we could look for those in potential recruits. Joe is just ace at one-on-ones, shot stopping and dealing with crosses which are largely useless in the hands of Curtis Main. 

But that's just a slogan though isn't it? I'm pretty certain that McInnes is buying players that he believes will be as good in their position as Joe is in his, it just turns out that they are not. It is very difficult to tranpose Joe's abilities as a goalie to an outfield player. He's just fantastically good at what he does (I'd argue the best in the league). There aren't really any attributes of Joe's that you think "if only Nial McGinn had those attributes he'd be amazing" for example. You could look at Shinnie and say "if every player had his work ethic, aggression and leadership" then we could look for those in potential recruits. Joe is just ace at one-on-ones, shot stopping and dealing with crosses which are largely useless in the hands of Curtis Main.

No, for me Lewis is class and the standard he sets in goalkeeping should be the standard we look to bring in for any position in the team.  I'd also be happy if Shinnie was used as a marker for quality of our signings.

Easier said than done though in the market we trade in and we shouldn't just be signing players to make up numbers like we appear to be doing this summer.

• 3 weeks later...