Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

What Is The Difference??

Between Manchester United's success under Sir Alex Ferguson and what Pep Guardiola is trying to emulate at Manchester City in 2019??  I've followed 'Citeh' since 1989 so have seen some very dark times with being in what is effectively League One nowadays and losing to lower leagues sides during cup competitions but surely them having said money can't be only reason they will succeed long term???? 

It absolutely is the only reason. My younger brother has been a City fan for around 45 years since he was a very young kid. In fact I think it was maybe their League Cup win that made him support them (76??). They were utterly awful from the mid eighties onwards, sometimes comedically so. The Fergie success was built around signing a core of young local(ish) lads and spending prudently on more established stars (£1.2million for Cantona IIRC....absolute pennies nowadays but even then still very cheap).

English football has since went mental with the Sky/BT/other Tv companies cash, plus rich sponsors plus megalomaniac owners investing crazy cash into clubs. I look forward to a global recession occurring and the whole house of cards crashing spectacularly down.

Chelsea and Citeh have bought success. Roman's stolens will prove to be a curse on Chelski in due course, just as the continuing presence of Sir Old Whisky Nose is cursing Man Yoo now. Money is the root of all evil. SAF was sacked from St Mirren for stealing. There was a clear conflict of interest when his son was ripping millions from his father's employer through his "Elite" sports agency. When he got too greedy by trying to assert that he was promised breeding rights for Rock of Gibraltar, Magnier and Magnusson increased their stake in MU dangerously close to the 30% required for a takeover whilst applying pressure on Sir OWN all the time. SAF backed down. He was out of his depth, a Govan tink not being in the same financial league and having to learn that his thought that he was invincible was erroneous.

The oil money funding the Etihad and all that goes on there bought some of the best footballers in the world and one of the best managers currently. Given that fossil fuels are the biggest contributor to the impending global catastrophe, it is likely that their bubble will burst at some point, possibly after their first and only Champions League win some time.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

One of the keys aspects of Fergie's success at Utd was that for the most part, they were in a league of their own in terms of spending power in England.  Only Jack Walker at Blackburn and latterly Abramovich at Chelsea were able to compete where the big name players were concerned.  That meant that Utd had their pick of the top talent in that league.  That was a massive advantage that Utd had back in the 90s.

The difference now, and Gary Neville spoke about it last night, is that there are half a dozen top clubs competing for the same players.  Even teams mid table in the EPL can afford to spend staggering sums on transfer fees and wages.

Utd's side last night were assembled for approximately the same amount of money as City's so it's not just about the money but certainly the money will help keep them in the top three or four for several years to come.

Has to be said though, even just City's desire to win the ball back is phenomenal and sets them apart from the rest.  Remains to be seen how long Pep will hang around for.

I live no more than 500 yards from Pat Nevin and in local Co-op last year he noticed me with a Manchester City jacket on and says;

"I bet you're loving life under Pep."

"When other supporters aren't telling me our success is bought!!"

I live no more than 500 yards from Pat Nevin and in local Co-op last year he noticed me with a Manchester City jacket on and says;

"I bet you're loving life under Pep."

"When other supporters aren't telling me our success is bought!!"

How is it anything other than bought?