Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Billy McNeil dies age 79.

Obviously a celtic legend but he did a lot of the squad building that fergie relied on so this deserves a place here.

Very sad to hear this news, McNeil seemed a really decent human and I loved listening to him talk about the game.  RIP Billy.

Agreed, sad news.  Signed Strachan and Archibald and certainly laid some of the foundations of the squad for Fergie.

Seemed a very decent bloke indeed.

Had the pleasure, and it was a pleasure to have business dealings with Billy and he was an absolute gentleman and a very articulate and polite individual.

He loved his time at Aberdeen and readily admitted he wouldn't have left us for anyone other than Celtic.

RIP Mr McNeill

Sad news. He certainly laid the foundations for the Fergie era with his signings.

My abiding memory of Billy McNeill was just after he left the Dons when we played Celtic at Pittodrie and he ended up squaring up to ref.

His passion for the game as a manager was there for all to see.

His example as a player does not have to be mentioned.

Rest in peace Billy

Was the man I wanted to take over from Porterfield when he left ( He had just taken over at Villa when Fergie headed south and much as I would have liked us to break the bank to get him just wasn't going to happen at that point).

Spoke to him on a couple of occasions and always kept his affection for Aberdeen despite only being manager for a year. An absolute gentleman and will be sadly missed by all true football supporters of whatever allegiance. RIP

First trip to Pittodrie was during his tenure.Gutted when he left.

Doubt you'll get many opposition fans with a bad word to say about him.Always managed to maintain a bit of decorum about him,whatever results his various sides had.

A true Gent 

Totally agree with all these sentiments, remember his first game at Pittodrie, only rangers.  Billy gets the crowd immediately on his side, wearing a red shirt & a red tie :)  , Beach End singing "There's only one King Billy that's McNeill"  :laughing:

Trying to think of who all came in while Billy was in charge, certainly Archibald (30k Clyde) sold £800k Spurs, Strachan (40k Dundee) , Ian Fleming ? Dom Sullivan ? all around that period. 

Was quoted as saying, he loved his time in Aberdeen & really should have stayed longer.  Great player, manager & came across as a real gentleman.

R.i.p Billy :frown:

Totally agree with all these sentiments, remember his first game at Pittodrie, only rangers.  Billy gets the crowd immediately on his side, wearing a red shirt & a red tie :)  , Beach End singing "There's only one King Billy that's McNeill"  :laughing:

Trying to think of who all came in while Billy was in charge, certainly Archibald (30k Clyde) sold £800k Spurs, Strachan (40k Dundee) , Ian Fleming ? Dom Sullivan ? all around that period. 

Was quoted as saying, he loved his time in Aberdeen & really should have stayed longer.  Great player, manager & came across as a real gentleman.

R.i.p Billy :frown:

Gave Neil Simpson his first professional contract ?

Great men do great things.

Great men create great things.

Great men achieve great things.

By every measure, Billy McNeill was a great man. RIP.

You know Rocket, there are times you can be an arse AND then there are times when you can put things ever so eloquently.

Think we all know which one this is.

Powerful words RS  :thumbsup:

You know Rocket, there are times you can be an arse AND then there are times when you can put things ever so eloquently.

Think we all know which one this is.

Powerful words RS  :thumbsup:

Erm, thanks, I guess.

Point of order. I ONLY engage arsiness when dealing with a total arse.

Or with a cunt who might not be an arse but who is being wide.