Author Topic: Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding  (Read 69437 times)

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
Re: Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding
« Reply #620 on: July 16, 2019, 09:22:14 AM »
We are already paying more than £5k/week. We offered McGeouch £6.5k/week  a year ago. We offered Shinnie even more to stay. Our AVERAGE player wage in 2017/18 was just over £2650/week. Which includes young eens in the U18s on pretty much national minimum wage (Call it £8/hr over a 40 hour week =£320/week. So it then follows we are paying our senior pros a whack more than £2650/week to counterbalance that...……..do the math as they say in Yankland)

EDIT.....and bear in mind we were paying Craig Hignett £8k/week over 20 years ago....

Not to mention the quarterly bonus he had included in his contract.
Pity it was short lived as reckon over the course of a season or so Hignett would have been a revelation for us :thumbsup:
Steve warm his seat up

Offline Barcosente

• Under 21's
  • Rating: 3
« Reply #621 on: July 16, 2019, 01:13:24 PM »
It was a shame it didn't work out for Hignett. He was exactly the sort of player the Don's needed at the time.
I seem to recall that he was having some family issues which meant he was traveling all the time. Wikipedia reports a fee received by the Don's of £800,000, which isn't a bad return for someone we signed on a freebie.

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 23
« Reply #622 on: July 17, 2019, 04:09:19 PM »
What’s everyone’s take on the squad at present?

Lewis
Cerny
Rogers (expect to go out on loan)
Logan
Gallagher
Taylor
Devlin
Considine
McKenna
Leigh
Wright
McGinn
Hedges
McLennan
Bryson
Campbell
Ferguson
Gleeson (who I expect gone)
May (who I expect gone)
Wilson
Main
Cosgrove

That’s 19 excluding Rogers, Gleeson, and May, and doesn’t include any more young boys, Anderson, Ross x 2 or 3, Virtanen. That’s not bad depth, I assume we’re done in the transfer window? I suppose my only thing would be to loan Campbell, sell/loan Wright (aka Pawlett) and punt Gleeson, and add another central midfielder.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:12:01 PM by LA-Don »

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
« Reply #623 on: July 17, 2019, 04:51:20 PM »
Agree May will be gone although wherever he rocks up (Dundee supposedly favourites) I'm sure we will be stumping up 50% of his wages for the next 2 years. Gleeson I don't think is gone. Just can't see anyone wanting him on the wages he will be on. He might get a gig in the Irish League but we would be stumping up 75-90% of his wages if he went there....he's not a total duffer just unfit. On balance I think we will keep him as hes a useful option if we suffer a few injuries. Rodgers will be sent on loan again if anyone will have him. And I think will be released next year.

Anderson needs to go out on loan again. He did well at Dunfermline by all accounts so needs to be tested at a slightly higher level. Maybe Hamilton or St Mirren? Wright.....I just don't think can cut it at our level. He might have one brilliant game but then follow up with 4 stinkers or just totally anonymous. Physically he's also too slight. I'd be letting him go if he could get himself fixed up with another club but I think DM will give him till January. What to do with Campbell is the big question. Lots of shouts for him to go on loan but he did play fairly regularly second half of last season (knock on effect from Ball having to fill in for Logan's injury). I think he will be a first pick in 12 months time but Ojo will keep him out for now. Could be a bench option but on balance prob better heading out on loan for 6 months(hence why I think we will keep Gleeson rather than punt to an Irish club).

I've said elsewhere we should be offering Atlanta a small fee for Gallagher right now. I fear if we don't he will end up down south. Yes it's a bit of a punt but getting through to next round in Europe would cover any fee plus that we paid for Ojo. Left back is still a bit of an unknown quantity. Cannot comment on that till we have seen more of Leigh. Right back....I've been consistent in my concern about Shay for almost 2 years now. Definitely needs a back up signed. In fact I'd prefer we signed a first choice and made Logan the back up tbh.

Up front......I have my concerns about Wilson. Not entirely convinced about his attitude, however he is now our player rather trhan Man U's. He might look a bit more motivated as he must realise career wise he's in the last chance saloon. Do well and he could get a good move south in  year (and net us a tidy fee). Do badly and it's non-league English fitba' in 2 years (but he's already a multi-millionaire....would he actually bother with that??) Still hoping we sign an out and out "number 10" before the window closes. McGinn was excellent last week and will still be an asset but he is getting older by the month and his fitness was never great even in his peak.

Overall....yeah things look fairly good on paper. Should certainly be enough in the squad to guarantee us third in the league, maybe push for second if sevco's acquisitions are all as poor as Stewart. Decent draw in one of the Cups and we will be there or thereabouts

Offline redordead

• First Team
  • Rating: 6
« Reply #624 on: July 17, 2019, 09:00:41 PM »
I don't disagree with a lot of the above. However wright for me is the player with real guile in our squad and last weeks system really suited him. If we play with 4 attacking midfielders it'd be crazy to lose him. Sadly I think that once Ojo is clear to play, we'll go back to 4-2-3-1 and serve up last sessions fayre.
Yes he loses the ball, but he also creates and has vision. The best players lose the ball. Messi doesn't score every time he dribbles. Wright should be given games to grow.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 77
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #625 on: July 24, 2019, 12:49:45 AM »
So are we expecting any further movement or do we think that this is us?  I'd hope we got another striker in, but can't see DM doing it. Really do wonder where the goals are going to come from again.

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #626 on: July 24, 2019, 03:09:07 AM »
Cosgrove, Main, Wilson, Anderson, don’t see another striker coming in. If we add I’d expect/hope another central midfielder, still relying on Ferguson to play a hell of a lot.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 77
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #627 on: July 24, 2019, 06:12:25 AM »
Cosgrove, Main, Wilson, Anderson, don’t see another striker coming in. If we add I’d expect/hope another central midfielder, still relying on Ferguson to play a hell of a lot.

I guess I see Anderson going out on loan again, but could be wrong.  Ideally at a prem club.

But agree re: midfielder and Ferguson.  He looked knackered last season

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 74
« Reply #628 on: July 24, 2019, 08:44:38 AM »

Ferguson did look knackered, but there were also no alternatives last season with Gleeson being pap. If Ojo and Bryson are as good as we assume that they would be, then Ferguson can be rotated with those guys further back, or rotated with Wright or Gallagher further forward. Campbell also seems to be progressing nicely, so I'd rather see him used as a good backup if he's not going out on loan.

I'd rather we signed a striker as I don't think Cosgrove is quite good enough, and I don't think Wilson is the answer to many questions.

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #629 on: July 24, 2019, 03:22:46 PM »
Agree with you regarding the forwards but we have Cosgrove, Main, Wilson, Hedges, and Gallagher, all who have played up top. Can’t see us adding anyone else. I’m still waiting for the Dom Ball type signing, someone who provides cover at the back and in midfield, especially since DM has said multiple times now we have only 4 fit defenders.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #630 on: July 24, 2019, 06:10:21 PM »
Agree with you regarding the forwards but we have Cosgrove, Main, Wilson, Hedges, and Gallagher, all who have played up top. Can’t see us adding anyone else. I’m still waiting for the Dom Ball type signing, someone who provides cover at the back and in midfield, especially since DM has said multiple times now we have only 4 fit defenders.

I don't think we have seen the last of Ball in Aberdeen. (I hesitate to say at Pittodrie….but I think he will be back before we move to the new ground. Just don't think he will cut it at QPR)

Offline A llad insane

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 10
« Reply #631 on: July 24, 2019, 08:11:39 PM »
So are we expecting any further movement or do we think that this is us?  I'd hope we got another striker in, but can't see DM doing it. Really do wonder where the goals are going to come from again.

Agreed.

Offline A llad insane

• First Team Regular
« Reply #632 on: July 24, 2019, 08:15:58 PM »
Still think D.M will bring in someone  when May goes, not sure if he will play in the middle of the park or up top :dunno:

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #633 on: July 24, 2019, 09:09:57 PM »
Still think D.M will bring in someone  when May goes, not sure if he will play in the middle of the park or up top :dunno:

Not so sure, increased playing time for Wright and McLennan?

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 118
« Reply #634 on: July 26, 2019, 09:30:49 AM »
Replacement for Taylor?  ::)

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #635 on: July 26, 2019, 12:34:42 PM »
Maybe a 6 month loan for someone who can cover RB/RCD?

Did Hoban ever take us up on our offer of providing rehab facilities? He may be the answer if he regains fitness but I don't think he will be ready until after the mid-season break at the earliest so I'd guess a loan meantime would tide us over

Offline Madbadteacher

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 45
« Reply #636 on: July 26, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »
Can Stevie May play at the back?
Doesn’t look like he’s leaving just yet 😂
CO100
H2S25
CH450
O218

Offline A llad insane

• First Team Regular
« Reply #637 on: July 26, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »
Would D.M contemplate going back in for Shaugnessy ? Looks like its Taylor's hamstring :frown:

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
« Reply #638 on: July 26, 2019, 08:10:37 PM »
I doubt Joe Shug is a target unless devlin or Taylor are long term injuries. Once healthy DM is stuck trying to keep three defenders happy when only one plays alongside McKenna. Saying that, Joe also plays right back and competes with Shay. Still think we’d more likely end up with a young loon from the English premier or championship.

Offline dons8321

• Under 21's
  • Rating: -9
« Reply #639 on: July 26, 2019, 11:06:20 PM »
I doubt Joe Shug is a target unless devlin or Taylor are long term injuries. Once healthy DM is stuck trying to keep three defenders happy when only one plays alongside McKenna. Saying that, Joe also plays right back and competes with Shay. Still think we’d more likely end up with a young loon from the English premier or championship.
Isn't Devlin a permanent long term injury worry, though?  Sadly, like Hoban, he looks like a really good defender but won't play more that 10-15 games all season.