Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Contract offer will be well deserved. Yes he is a utility player....but every squad needs 2 or 3 players capable of covering a few positions. Technically you could describe Shinnie as one.....though going on his performance yesterday it's doubtful he will play left back ever again such was his ineptitude.

Ball gets a hard time off a lot of our fans for his performance in last year's Cup semi. He was god awful but it was a team decimated by injury and suspensions. He wasn't the only player to have a 'mare that day. He has more than made up for it with his level of consistency this season.

There's no doubt his best position is defensive midfield.

But there's also no doubt that he has played a helluva lot better than Logan did all this season when he took over the right back spot. Logan may have an excuse as he obviously required an operation but I don't think he was unfit since August.

If we are to improve as a side, Logan needs replacing by a better right back. He's had an easy ride throughout his time with us, having no direct back up in the squad. However our finances obviously don't allow for 2 players in every position. Utility players like Ball, relatively cheap and able to cover a few positions are the answer. With a year left  on his contract, I'd have no problem in allowing Logan to leave on a free in summer if he can find himself a club down south and getting in a younger upgrade.

Contract offer will be well deserved. Yes he is a utility player....but every squad needs 2 or 3 players capable of covering a few positions. Technically you could describe Shinnie as one.....though going on his performance yesterday it's doubtful he will play left back ever again such was his ineptitude.

Ball gets a hard time off a lot of our fans for his performance in last year's Cup semi. He was god awful but it was a team decimated by injury and suspensions. He wasn't the only player to have a 'mare that day. He has more than made up for it with his level of consistency this season.

Just because Shinnie had a nightmare for Scotland yesterday , doesn't mean he not still a very decent left-back for us , when required.

As for the comments about Ball in the semi last year ,  he wasn't god awful. He made one costly mistake which led to the first goal. Other than that he wasn't given a roasting by his immediate opponent.  The fact is that we gifted Motherwell all three goals , and they really did nothing special themselves apart from NOT gifting us anything. That was the difference betwen the teams on the day.  Ball didn't contribute anything in an attacking sense , but then neither did anyone else that day , including players that we were entitled to make a greater attacking contribution than Ball.

• 1 month later...

Would say Ball has been a good signing for us considering how many different positions he's had to fill in.

Still a young player with his best years ahead of him. Happy to see us sign him permanently, though as more of a back-up option. He's a handy player to throw on at 1-0 in the final 10 minutes.

what a lazy kop out, maybe he cant get any better, no pace, no passing no mobility, what position will he flourish in ?

Utter nonsense. Ball has been one of our most consistent performers this season. Every team needs a couple of utility players who are relatively cheap. Unless we suddenly get a sugar daddy willing to pump millions into the playing side, Ball is the level of player we are at.

Fact Rotherham don’t think Ball is worth keeping for league 1 campaign speaks volumes about Ball’s ability or lack of. He is an extremely limited player and not one we should be bring to a club who are looking to challenge at the top end of the league. Would rather we used young players to plug gaps in the squad than journey men like Ball.

Fact Rotherham don’t think Ball is worth keeping for league 1 campaign speaks volumes about Ball’s ability or lack of. He is an extremely limited player and not one we should be bring to a club who are looking to challenge at the top end of the league. Would rather we used young players to plug gaps in the squad than journey men like Ball.

Agree with all of this. Plus he wasn't a squad player for us. Yes we had injuries but he played a fair number of games for us, not the odd 10 minutes here and there. Guys who play extended minutes need to be better than him if we have any ambition.

what a lazy kop out, maybe he cant get any better, no pace, no passing no mobility, what position will he flourish in ?

I agree with this. A bit like Stevie May when he was at St Johnstone, I just don't see any clear room for improvement in Ball's game. He's always going to be average. If we're only making a handful of signings and ditching Gleeson then I'm happy enough for him to stay provided we get one proven good central midfielder. Otherwise, I'd try and complete other signings first and come back to Ball if we fuck those up.

It was a stupid question to be fair.

No-one is suggesting he's going to be world class, but to suggest at 23 a player can't improve is just ridiculous.

It was a stupid question to be fair.

No-one is suggesting he's going to be world class, but to suggest at 23 a player can't improve is just ridiculous.

I don't think he will improve as a player, he might offer a bit more consistency if given a run of games in the middle of the park, but wouldn't be willing to take the chance.

I would put him League two, bottom of league one standard in England and I hear what people are saying about squad player who can cover a few positions, but for me we need to set a better standard than him even for a player on the bench, I'd rather have another kid on the bench than Dom.

I don't think he will improve as a player, he might offer a bit more consistency if given a run of games in the middle of the park, but wouldn't be willing to take the chance.

I would put him League two, bottom of league one standard in England and I hear what people are saying about squad player who can cover a few positions, but for me we need to set a better standard than him even for a player on the bench, I'd rather have another kid on the bench than Dom.

Think that's harsh. He's had quite a few solid performances this season in what has generally been an unsettled team. He's certainly not League Two standard.