Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

FAO Architects

Elgindon

FAO Architects on here,eg tomwiddows,mancdon? -  Been looking for a new house for a while,but not having much joy.Started looking at a new build,but a few people have said they wouldnt go down that route from their experience,so began looking at these Scandi/German timber pre fab homes which seemingly can be erected in around 3 days.Like the look of them,but cant see much feedback on how they wear after eg 20 years,or if they hold their price as well as a traditional house.

An example would be 'scandinavianhomes'(cant get onto their website for some reason).'Mirella' 3 bedroom would be the sort of idea being looked at.Any feedback/advice welcome

Actually heres it.http://www.scandinavianhomes.com/house/kaisla/

Have you got a piece of land like? Or one available? It's usually where the cost is. A self-build is a no brainer like if you can find land somewhere you like. Be much cheaper in the long run as you'll get a far better build for the money. Especially if you look to minimise yer energy uses by way of good design (insulation, elevation (solar gain), yer solar power etc). Depending on your plot, you might be best to get an architect to design something that takes these types of things into account as yer pre-fabs/kits are not designed with any particular thought to the land in which they sit. I have a kit hoose with amazing views from my frosted bathroom window and frosted en-suite because it's a standard design (nice hoose like, just doesn't make best use of its surroundings). Obviously cost is a big part, but if you give an architect a budget and challenge them to work to it I'm sure they'll get something.

Aye,there's not a great selection of plots out there,and pricier than expected but Ive got my eye on a good looking elevated site.Your local architect build would be the ideal scenario.The pre fab thing was to avoid a point where the money runs out before you sell your old house which I'd need to do to finish it.Caravan living doesnt quite float the boat but might have to be an option.

Been in touch with a local builder and going out to assess the site and options.see what he says and report back

https://www.hebrideanhomes.com

There's been a few of these 'Heb' houses built in my surrounds, very nice they look too.

If that's the style you're looking for...

Cheers.Maybe a bespoke design something in between the type I posted(a bit footery) and those Heb ones(a bit plain).Pretty reasonably priced though the Heb ones,youre paying more for a plot

Cheers.Maybe a bespoke design something in between the type I posted(a bit footery) and those Heb ones(a bit plain).Pretty reasonably priced though the Heb ones,youre paying more for a plot

I might have misunderstood the Heb ones, but I think that they were just examples on their website rather than kit-like designs. They seem to be focused on the CLT supply and efficiency/energy saving designs and so on. In other words, if you gave them draawins they'd make a "kit" to suit those. 

*Edit: in reality, they seem almost like a middle man for the Austrian outfit that actually makes the buildings.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, only just seen this thread.  I've not got much experience in pre-fab homes and only ever heard / seen results of the huf-haus - which seemed to be extremely expensive and not necessarily to everyone's tastes.

https://www.huf-haus.com/en-uk/

Quite a few CLT homes went up in London and it's a technology I've worked with, in commercial buildings. It's brilliant.

Heb house looks quite interesting.  Building your own home takes a lot of effort and determination, I know a friend who is embarking on it on the isle of Skye somewhere, but i don't think he's in a rush.

Have you had many discussions with pre-fab home suppliers, or indeed engaged an architect to suss out your options?  Would be interesting to know how much user input could be put into their process. From my experience here when we were working on a pre-fab project, our client seemed relatively limited. I.e. they had a box and the bespoke design came from the size / cladding.

Meant to have a builder round to discuss but havnt heard back.Those Hufhaus ones looka bit out my range,nice as they are.In discussions with another builder of Joiner background to see if he could knock up something similar wood based who gave me a rough quote of about £1000/m2 for a new build.Put off a bit by the CLT stuff because it hasnt been around long enough to assess over time,though it does seem to be building a bit of rep.. http://www.constructionmanagermagazine.com/insight/clt-coming-age/