Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

west brom

I think it's best for both parties that DM gets this job! It's going to be really tough for him to maintain the 'results' of the last 6 years with Rangers spending, Killie and Hearts competitive, and Hibs there or thereabouts. The squad continues to get worse, I can only assume Shinnie and GMS are gone, and his last 3 major signings, Forrester, Gleeson, and loanee Wilson, have been pish. He won't get a premiership job, this is the next best thing. His stock isn't going to get any higher.

Avoiding the McInnes debate for a second, would you want somebody who didn't see AFC as a stepping stone? I probably wouldn't. Not with our existing position in the game. Unless it was me of course, I'd be there for life. I don't think Craig Brown ever saw AFC as a stepping stone whereas Mark McGhee made clear before he played his first game that he wanted bigger things. I want us to have an ambitious manager, with ambitions for both himself and the club.

For what it's worth, I think McInnes does have ambitions for AFC as evidenced by his persistence on the training ground issue and his overhaul of the backroom staff and processes, but I'm not convinced/unsue he has the ability to match his ambition, which I suppose is the key.

The key word you miss was "committed".

People who succeed are obsessed. They fully commit to the programme. They immerse themselves in everything involved in making it work. Of course we're not the biggest club in the world but it's only by being successful that the bigger opportunities come knocking. That's one of many aspects - too numerous to mention - where SAF and McInnes are totally different. McInnes has never warmed to the NE and we've never warmed to him. He's a fraud who thinks he's a good manager. The evidence of the last six seasons proves he's barely competent at best.

The key word you miss was "committed".

People who succeed are obsessed. They fully commit to the programme. They immerse themselves in everything involved in making it work. Of course we're not the biggest club in the world but it's only by being successful that the bigger opportunities come knocking. That's one of many aspects - too numerous to mention - where SAF and McInnes are totally different. McInnes has never warmed to the NE and we've never warmed to him. He's a fraud who thinks he's a good manager.

But McInnes clearly believes he has committed himself, working long hours and sacrificing family time. I don't think he's lying in any way in the article below.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aberdeen-gaffer-derek-mcinnes-reveals-10185861

So there's an obvious discrepancy between what you think commitment is and he does.

The evidence of the last six seasons proves he's barely competent at best.

I think that it shows that he's an above average SPFL (and probably championship level) fitba manager. I don't think "barely competent" is an objective view point. I think that the evidence of the last six seasons show some glaring inadequacies. In my opinion, he works very hard for AFC and he is committed (maybe to his career as much as to AFC, but that would be splitting hairs) but perhaps his inadequacies can't be overcome by hard work. Perhaps he doesn't recognise them (or - just as likely - I'm wrong).

Either way, from chatting on here, most folk are in agreement about his inadequacies, so at the very least we can identify those in another manager (as well as those of McInnes' qualities we'd like to retain). I liked your comment about culture on another thread and I think that's definitely missing at AFC, along with accountability. Our signings and youth promotion appear to be without a club strategy and they are definitely areas which the board and staff should have offered more resource to help the manager (maybe they have, I don't know). I think McInnes has taken us forward and there's a clear path to improvement. I hope that the club sees that.

Look, were never going to agree on this but for fuck sake, that Record article is so see through in terms of purpose and even then it failed. Any man who needs to talk about his commitment, isn't. He even acknowledged that he tries to spend more time with his family. If he was obsessed, he would be at every reserve (U23) and youth game. As for the odd time he spoke to an agent whilst on holiday, we ALL have our work with us 24/7, unless we are an employee or of similar mindset. And what type of fucking thicko lowlife chooses to return to Florida after one visit? And what sort of shit kids want to return to a Disney park? He's not fucking good enough for AFC, period.

Here's how committed McInnes is. He never watched Zola play. Within 3 minutes of his debut v. Killie, I turned to my mate and said George Weah cousin syndrome. That was back in his early days when he described "like every young manager", his then acknowledging that he doesn't work as hard now. If he had been professional, obsessed and committed, he would've seen in one game only that Calvin was a fucking donkey.

He's lazy and he's now tired. His spark has dissipated. He's treading water badly. He knows it's gone tits up and we can smell the fear in his eyes. Fuck him right off. Dick Donald would never have recruited him.

It's his own fucking fault that he's got tired and stale. It would be hell for any normal man being apart from his kids and not seeing them grow up every day FOR SIX FUCKING YEARS. He's having to spend miles in a car travelling to see them because he didn't consider the NE good enough for his family, his plan being not to be here that long despite this being the biggest job he's ever had in his life.

Like every single manager recruited by Milne, it's all downhill or extinct after AFC. Donald's successive recruits in Ally, McNeill and SAF went on to some of the biggest jobs in football. No coincidence there much.

Here's how committed McInnes is. He never watched Zola play. Within 3 minutes of his debut v. Killie, I turned to my mate and said George Weah cousin syndrome. That was back in his early days when he described "like every young manager", his then acknowledging that he doesn't work as hard now. If he had been professional, obsessed and committed, he would've seen in one game only that Calvin was a fucking donkey.

I think it's actually much worse than that. I think he did watch him play.

Rocket - If McInnes had moved his family up to Aberdeen would that change your opinion on him not being committed?

Plenty of managers commute but are fully committed.  Mourinho and Rafa Benitez are examples of that.

Times have changed and people in every industry commute or work from home or a combination of both.  It doesn't mean they are less committed to their job, they just have to find a balance that works for them, their family and their employers.

I think that McInnes has done all he can with the club and a change in the summer would be good for all but I don't question his commitment to Aberdeen FC.  He has made some good signings, some bad signings won us a cup but underachieved too.  For me, things have tailed off and a change is needed as we have flat-lined or arguably gone slightly backwards.

Any new manager that comes in however should not be employed if they see Aberdeen FC as anything more than a stepping stone to greater things. 

Rocket - If McInnes had moved his family up to Aberdeen would that change your opinion on him not being committed?

No, you're misinterpreting my position and I really don't need the condescending lecture about commuting, like I'm a fucking idiot.

His "commitment" to the job was a side issue. The main issue I have is that he is not a good enough manager for AFC.

The relocation of his family or not was discussed as a possible symptom of his desire to move on, a lot sooner than 6 years!

I also put forward the argument that NOT being with his family for as long as this is hugely difficult for any normally-functioning man who has a capacity to love.

Had he relocated his family to Aberdeen, it would not have made a blind bit of difference to my opinion of the man... IF THE RESULTS HAD BEEN THE SAME. I think he has been his own worst enemy however by putting undue stress on himself, racking up so many additional miles as he needs to do, missing opportunities to commit himself to further to his job and he may well have been a better-performing manager if he had relocated them.

Nothing condescending meant.

So if there was to be a change in the summer, who in your opinion is a good enough manager for AFC?

There's not going to be a change cos Milne and Cormack love him and nobody's going to come in for him.

So it's an academic question. Plus I'm not engaged in the recruitment.

Of the manager's in Scotland in the SPFL, I only like the managers at Livi and Killie but as Hibs might well have done, and as the huns did in the summer, their clubs went outside the box and engaged recruitment practises that already look to have been sound.

There will be numerous good candidates. It's the job of the board to find and attract them.

I'd only want Clarke or Jack Ross out of the current crop of Scottish born managers, both of whom for different reasons right now are unavailable and wouldn't consider it if they were ( both might review that position in future, Ross for sure will as he will get fired in around a year' s time when he finds that getting Sunderland promoted then stabilising them in the Championship is in no way good enough for a board who expect them at worst competing for a promotion play off spot).

Lennon is a cunt of a man but has the necessary attitude against the arse cheeks we often lack but again is now unavailable.

If DM were to leave in summer ( don't see it happening but don't see an extension happening either) then I'd be hoping for an up and coming young English manager as Hibs have done a la Heckingbottom. But watch my Ross prediction.....I think he will become available just at the time when it's announced that DM will be leaving us in summer 2020....