Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Goal or No Goal???

I was watching the goals from our match with Sporting Circle Fola Esch earlier and one noticed something we weren't sure about.  When Shay Logan does grab opener Andrew Considine is actually behind the goalkeeper and defender on said line in net itself.  How shall this not count as offside???

I believe by standing in the goal (completely behind the goal-line) he would have been classed as 'off the field' and therefore not involved in play. Essentially the same as if he was stood behind the by-line by the advertising boards.

Had one of his feet been over the goal-line on the pitch he would have been offside

Surely that cant be the case? Otherwise it would be exploited by teams more often.

Not quite sure how it can be classed as exploiting things. Your teams player stood in the goalmouth completely behind the goalline potentially ends up blocking a shot by their teammate and is now not in a position to have a shot/ header themselves.

If they foul or obstruct the goalie its still a foul however by standing 'off the field' they themselves could be blocked in taking them away from the attack and any effort to free themselves from their goalmouth prison would probably result in a freekick to the opposition.

Bolton's tactic under allardyce of having a player stood in an offside position as a distraction before a set piece relied on that player being able to run back onside or get out of the way.

But its only a theory. i don't know the laws of the game (especially this season)