Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons - Helen Mirren - sat

St. Mirren really are pish. We should be looking to get a very good scoreline in this one.  Have to go back to 22nd December for their last league victory.  I mean, if the arabs can beat them, we certainly can.

McKenna obviously out for this one, so will we see Devlin slot in alongside Consi or will Hoban slot in alongside him?  Logan needs benching, so i'd be tempted to try Hoban at RB just to give him  a kick up the arse, but that won't happen.

Out

Bed

Bed

Bed

Providing we cut out some of those stupid mistakes i'm going to go 3-0 Dons, Cosgrove, GMS and Wilson

We have pretty much schooled St Mirren this season, and there's literally no reason why that won't happen again. Fancy Cosgrove to continue his streak, will be absolutely disgusted if Hoban is dropped, I appreciate Devlin is back now and I understand his importance, but there's absolutely no chance that Hoban deserves to be dropped, personally I think it'll be as you were vs QOTS, although I am hoping May gets ditched for either Wilson, McGinn or McLennan.

Plump for 3-0 Dandies ( Cosgrove, Considine, GMS ) 

The 2 who really need dropping are Logan and GMS, although I think I've come to the realisation that May and Stewart are a combination that doesn't work and right now there is only going to be one winner for the starting position and it isn't SuperTramp. Agree Hoban must stay in the side, probably at Logan's expense but I wouldn't be concerned if Devlin stayed on the bench And perhaps got the last 30 to continue easing him back gently.

St Mirren really are tripe and a 3 goal win is the very least we should be aiming for.

5-0 ( Cosgrove X2, McGinn, Stewart, Lowe)

In or Oot - In

Furryboots - Mainer

Pre  -  Working

Post -  Driving

Prediction  -  Reluctantly coming to the conclusion that May and Stewart cant play in the same set up.I'd bench Logan and try Hoban at R/B as a wee wake up call.Surprised,and delighted at Sams purple patch,can see it continuing this Sat. 

Dons to win 4 - 1  Sam,Stewart...2 fae May off the bench to unsettle KFP  :P

Crowd  13,284 

In or Oot - In

Furryboots - Mainer

Pre  -  Working

Post -  Driving

Prediction  -  Reluctantly coming to the conclusion that May and Stewart cant play in the same set up.I'd bench Logan and try Hoban at R/B as a wee wake up call.Surprised,and delighted at Sams purple patch,can see it continuing this Sat. 

Dons to win 4 - 1  Sam,Stewart...2 fae May off the bench to unsettle KFP  :P

Crowd  13,284

Not at all Elgin min, he's a Dandy, I want him to succeed, I'd be delighted if he contributed a brace on Saturday  :thumbsup:

I'd play Stewart alongside Cosgrove and give him licence to roam, he is no good on the wing IMO.

I would ditch GMS and May from the starting 11 and bring in McGinn and McLennan, if Logan is injured, based on the fact he come off on Sunday due to an issue with what looked like his foot, then Devlin in for him and put Hoban at RB. I doubt he will ditch GMS though.

I'll go 3-1 us Cosgorve x2 & Stewart.

This should be our most comfortable home win of the season as we are playing a rotten St Mirren side. As long as we approach the game in a professional manner then we should pick up the 3 points. Not keen on playing a left sided defender at right back but if Logan is injured and the other option is Ball then I guess we have to go with Hoban unless we go with a back 3 with McGinn and GMS as wing backs. If we did go 3 at the back it would allow us to play Stewart in a free role behind May and Cosgrove.

In

Pub in town as up in Aberdeen on Friday

Y

Pub then train back to capital

3-0 Stewart May and McGinn.

But has played most of his career at either left back or centre half.

I didn't know that, that's interesting. I thought he looked very lacking when he played left back for us at the beginning of the season. Not shite by any stretch, but just stood at the wrong angle when marking his man and his left-footed clearances were a bit straight legged. Like when Considine plays right side of defence. Both still more than capable with their wrong fits (unlike likes of O'Connor last season) but just something about them being on that side clearly not comfortable. I think Hoban will fit quite nicely at right back like.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

I get concerned with these players who can supposedly play in a number of different positions.  Playing full back and centre half require totally different attributes.  Russell Anderson is a prime example - he was mince at right back in his younger days then looked like a different player when moved into the middle.

Look at Logan and Lowe for example, both must be around 5'7 or 5'8 compared with Hoban who is much more of a centre back build at around 6'1.  Depends on what you want from your full backs of course and that may well depend on the opposition.

Logan offers much more going forward and you have to accept that he might make the odd balls up going the other way.  I watched Danny Rose play for Spurs the other week and thought he was absolutely phenomenal in his work rate, as is Andy Robertson at Liverpool.  Both great examples of the modern day full back but like Logan both of those are probably better on the front foot than defensively.

I would see nothing wrong in Hoban replacing Logan in a game where we need to be more defensive, like when Considine plays left back but don't see what benefit he would give over Logan in a game like St Mirren where it is creativity that we are after.

I think it was on the assumption that Logan was injured after being taken off in the QOTS game. I actually think it is essential that the dons have players that can play in a number of different positions. Hoban is just a centre half who is half decent with the ball at his feet, which allows him to play midfield or right back. If we could sign him permanently, he'd be a vast improvement on Ball for example as he's a little bit stronger and even slightly more mobile.

Even if Logan wasn't injured If still be advocating taking him out as a starter for 2 or 3 games anyway. His form has been sketchy at best and Hoban has been excellent since coming in. I agree with Rico that Hoban didn't look anything special at left back and it might be that the same applies at right back but we need to find out and one game wouldn't be enough to form an opinion.

I do hope we try to get Hoban in permanently in the summer but suspect he will prove to be out of our financial range salary wise. Our best hope is that clubs in England look at his injury record and decide he is too much of a risk.

It's also noticeable that Ball is getting no game time in recent weeks. The Stewart signing has allowed Ferguson to play deeper. However I do hope that DM is more thoughtful in his use of Ferguson for the rest of this season. By all accounts he was poor throughout December and it seemed everyone could see he was badly in need of a rest except our management team. He has been ok since the break but no more. Gleeson or Ball are competent replacements and need to be utilised in our "easier" games to give the loon a break.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

to play deeper. However I do hope that DM is more thoughtful in his use of Ferguson for the rest of this season. By all accounts he was poor throughout December and it seemed everyone could see he was badly in need of a rest except our management team. He has been ok since the break but no more. Gleeson or Ball are competent replacements and need to be utilised in our "easier" games to give the loon a break.

Ferguson played on Boxing Day and then did not play again until Stenhousemuir on 19th January, that's 24 days off - more than my summer holiday and easter holiday combined.  Tiredness in fitba players is nonsense, he should not be fatigued playing 26 games in six and a half months.  Callum McGregor has played 51 games already this season for Celtic alone never mind his Scotland games on top of that.   

Dreadful result. Chance was there to make up ground on Sevco but allowing the bottom club to take the lead not just once but twice was totally criminal.

Still cannot fathom what was in Cosgrove's head when he gave away the penalty,  scoring the equaliser barely made up for it. Stewart started well for us when he arrived but we have had to change our style of play and it really isn't working. Still haven't won at home in the league this year and now we are about to go on a run of away games.

Sadly it does indeed look like Hoban has played his last for us......possibly his last ever if it indeed as serious as we think. Even if he does manage to come back yet again.....what club is going to take a chance on him given his horrendous history?

On to McDiarmid next week. Under normal circumstances a point there wouldn't be the worst result in the world but after today nothing less than 3 points will suffice. Off to sevco media to try to resolve my bad mood by enjoying their meltdown which must be in full flow by now

Firstly, that was difficult to watch regarding Hoban, he was breaking his heart, perhaps an admission to himself that he might actually need to give the game up? Obviously I hope not, but it's clearly a very serious injury. Wish him all the best.

On to the game, well, where do you start? Too many not turning up again, it's like they do have this mentality that the lesser the opponent, the lesser the effort and intent required. The last batch of home games have been very underwhelming, and despite a strong scoreline against QOTS, that performance itself was fucking rotten up until a certain point in the 2nd half.

McGinn changed the QOTS game, today he was the polar opposite, GMS was the GMS we've had since the speculation came about regarding his future, Shinnie, well that was up there with his most anonymous performance since he joined us and overall, the amount of mistakes and misplaced passes from the entire midfield today were amateurish.

Cosgrove was literally honking, even before he started scoring for us, his performances were nowhere as bad as people would have you believe, but today, he looked like a player we signed from the dregs of English Football, Devlin was rusty but that was to be expected, Paul McGinn was coping with Lowe pretty easily too.

There wasn't really a pass mark today, and to draw 2-2 at home with the bottom of the league whipping boys is inexcusable, so many poor individuals today and McInnes needs to be braver and drop certain players, it's becoming a bit boring. Greg Stewart was really a standout player for Kilmarnock and in the league in general, we need to play him behind Cosgrove and keep him away for the wider areas, he's already failed there for us in his first spell, not saying he's failing now, but we're not getting the most out of him when he's out wide.

I'm not a manager, so fuck knows, but I'd hate to think where we'd be had it not been for a decent December, results wise. Away to St Johnstone up next, and you wouldn't put it passed them to win comfortably, as TC states, 3 points really is imperative.

I couldn't make the game after removing a radiator from the wall and then having an issue with a leak which meant I had to stay in all afternoon waiting for a plumber.

Anyway the two loons were at the game and said it was poor stuff, didn't sound great from what I heard on the radio. A real shame for Hoban with his injury, God said on the radio he was in bits on the pitch as he knew it was a bad one, seems a decent sort of loon and looked a good footballer, so fingers crossed he can make a comeback at some point.

I have no idea why DM signed Stewart, he didn't know how to play him last season and he doesn't know how to get the best out of him now, we saw a real player at Kilmarnock and he is a shadow of that player for us.

I have said on here before that DM doesn't improve players and I still stand by that.

Derek Ferguson did say on the radio that Lewis is about to pen a new deal at Pittodrie, so a bit of positive news on the player front.