Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen vs Kilmarnock (26/01/19 )

What a huge game this is going to be. Kilmarnock have been very good under Clarke, nobody can dispute that, and we were very fortunate to beat them at Rugby Park earlier in the season, and by all accounts, they were very fortunate to beat us at Pittodrie even earlier due to a ridiculous sending off.

I anticipate a few goals, their midfield work hard and they have a real nuisance in Brophy ( worth a look  :o ) up front, but I think they can be got at defensively, we need a sharper GMS, and I think McGinn will come back in for May, meaning Stewart will play off Cosgrove, that's what I think will happen anyway, probably as you were regarding everywhere else.

Must win in my opinion, we are on a good run, Stenhousemuir aside, and we'll need to be at our best to get 3 points come Saturday, but so will they, an early goal could put the fear into them ( considering our record against them ) so fingers crossed we start with a bit of intent and take the game to them.

Aberdeen 3 vs 2 Kilmarnock ( Stewart, Cosgrove, McGinn )

Should be a good one.Not often you can say youre looking forward to a Killie game but this ones attractive as well as a fairly big game feel about it.Thought their bubble would have burst by now TBH

Would like to see what Cosgrove alongside Stewart could do,but then again why change it if its working.Hopefully GMS is getting up to speed,been a bit off the pace the last couple of games

In/Oot  -  In

Furryboots - Mainer

Pre  -  working

Post  - Driving

Prediction  -  2 - 2  GMS x2

Crowd  -  15'143

Gutted (selfishly) that this game is a sat 3PM kick off.  Could have done with it being a friday night game.  Huge game, with two in form teams hopefully battling it out and a Dons victory. Should get a good crowd for this one as we're on a good run in the league.

Out

Bed

Bed

Bed

2-1 Dons, Cosgrove and Stewart

Crowd - 15,398

I'm hoping we stick with May and Cosgrove as the work rate of May works well alongside Cosgrove. McGinn and GMS I would be very wary of having them in the same line up, two good footballers, but the chances of them both having good games are pretty slim and some interesting stats about McGinn and GMS this season in the link though https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/46978621

SHould be a good match and what with Stewart joining us against last week it should certainly give the game an edge. I would stick with the same line up from Wednesday.

2-1 us, May & Stewart

Looking forward to this one. Killie are going to come up with a bit of grudge to settle over the Stewart transfer and we are on a good run of form so should result in a cracking game. Killie will provide a far stiffer test than Hamilton so cannot see us going with May Stewart and Cosgrove. Would expect McGinn to come in for one probably Stewart.

In

Train/lift then pub

Y

Train back to Capital

2-1 McGinn and GMS

Tough game, no question.  Hopefully home advantage will swing it our way.  Stewart is going to get dogs abuse from a bigger than average killie support, if he scores there will be scenes.  3-1 dons.  Think mcginn will start this one after not playing midweek though I'm not sure who for.  May pretty much set up 2 against a cues so big call to drop him.

I'd assume Stewart joined us on the agreement that he's first choice (as much as that's tough to guarantee.) I don't see him being dropped for a game against Killie of all people. May runs around a lot but that's more or less it in my eyes. Stewart is much more creative and more of a scoring threat. I'd say McGinn replaces May, the rest the same as against Accies.

I'd assume Stewart joined us on the agreement that he's first choice (as much as that's tough to guarantee.) I don't see him being dropped for a game against Killie of all people. May runs around a lot but that's more or less it in my eyes. Stewart is much more creative and more of a scoring threat. I'd say McGinn replaces May, the rest the same as against Accies.

May's running g about drags his marker out of position and leaves space for others....usually Cosgrove....to exploit. Things ain't broken so don't fix it. I'd probably agree with McGinn starting but in place of GMS who has been pretty underwhelming past two games

May's running g about drags his marker out of position and leaves space for others....usually Cosgrove....to exploit. Things ain't broken so don't fix it. I'd probably agree with McGinn starting but in place of GMS who has been pretty underwhelming past two games

As does Stewart, drops deep and wide stretching the defense too, but is much more dangerous. He was given freedom to roam from what i saw against Accies and pulls the defense out of position. May sprints around and chases lost causes, often for no gain or benefit. I think people mistake his sprinting around aimlessly for a hard working player. As I said, Stewart is the much more dangerous player. People have praised May for his effort but he does nothing that isn't easily done by Stewart.

May still set up 2 against accies.  His cross to Cosgrove and his corner for Ferguson.  That's hard to drop imo.

That's a stretch. One cross that Cosgrove blew the header and got his own rebound, and the other he took a corner. May has 2 goals (penalties too), 1 assist in 20 games, a forward who doesn't score from open play. Stewart is 8 goals and 6 assists in 16. It's a no brainer. It blows my mind the praise and support May is getting, I just don't rate what he gives to the team no matter how hard he runs around and tries.

We will move to second spot on Saturday night with a win over them until Sunday afternoon at least. Should be a cracker of a match with the Dons just edging it.

Aberdeen 2 Killie 1  :thumbsup:

Welcome back  :thumbsup:

Hope Northstar is right and we manage to get a near sell out. Would be fantastic. And obviously a win would be great too, enjoy all who are going

:ultras:

Well Northstar has provided 3 absolute whoppers of fibs today regarding the stadium, crowd size and Cosgrove's next destination.

Suggest instead of crowd size we all guess what pile of poop news Northstar will come out with next....

Oh 3-1 today btw ( May, Condone, Wright)

The team is on a good run, our centre forward is banging then in, and some people (someone?) wants May dropped just because we’ve signed Stewart? To think that May, and the rest of the team for that matter, hasn’t had an influence on Cosgrove’s form is naive in the extreme. Footballers don’t operate in isolation and if you’ve got a good thing going you don’t break it up just for the sake of it. That’s not to say there isn’t room for Stewart anywhere, or even him and May with Cosgrove as per the Hamilton game, but it’s never going to be as easy as “Stewart’s better than May so get May to fuck”.

The team is on a good run, our centre forward is banging then in, and some people (someone?) wants May dropped just because we’ve signed Stewart? To think that May, and the rest of the team for that matter, hasn’t had an influence on Cosgrove’s form is naive in the extreme. Footballers don’t operate in isolation and if you’ve got a good thing going you don’t break it up just for the sake of it. That’s not to say there isn’t room for Stewart anywhere, or even him and May with Cosgrove as per the Hamilton game, but it’s never going to be as easy as “Stewart’s better than May so get May to fuck”.

I think there is a lot more to it than that. What is May's goal to game ratio? How many has he scored from open play? Did you see his attempts at Livingston? He is a nuisance, he runs his socks off, but there is normally no end product, albeit he did put in a decent cross for the opener against Hamilton. If playing May gets the best out of Cosgrove and he continues to score, then happy days, but Stewart could quite easily adopt the same role as May, but would more than likely add more goals than May. Not sure what it is going to take May to get his confidence back in front of goal, can't say it is lack of game time, he's played plenty now, and can't say it's lack of clear cut opportunities, because he's also had plenty of them, he is a Striker, people were absolutely bashing Cosgrove after 3 or 4 games, who despite not scoring, was more problematic than May, the guy is getting it awfully easy from a lot of supporters, I assume because he tries like fuck & we paid for him a decent fee, whereas had it been anyone else ( See Cosgrove before his goal run ) they'd have been brushed aside already.

Not too much to say. 2 shots on target,none for Killie.They are tidy and well organised,but that doesnt excuse our lack of tempo,or lack of movement and effort to create space.We were too predictable,lacking spark

The McKenna to Considine,Considine to Lowe,and Lowe back to Considine passing at the back got a bit annoying after the 15th time because the options ahead were pretty much the same as when they started.Is it to increase the possession % maybe ?  :smile:  (Didnt wotk because Killie had about 58%)

Personally would have had GMS and Cosgrove off,and tried to run at and thru them a bit more via McGinn and Wright.Maybe we were a bit disjointed because were still trying to fit Stewart in,who showed some nice touches.

Highlight was Boyd getting sent off for what looked more of yellow card  :wave:

Crowd was 15'560 btw