Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen vs Livingston

Reluctant to start this thread, given that we have lost both games when I started the game thread in recent times.  :hammer:

In any case, our home form has been fairly strong under McInnes, yesterday & more recently against Killie when we lost Devlin early doors to a sending off aside. I see no reason, not even our shot shy Strikers and lack of creative midfielders, for that to change.

Livngston have done themselves proud with their start to the season, they are extremely organised and work very hard off the ball, they have huge, physical defenders and are a threat from set pieces. However, I would expect us to nullify that after yesterday's debacle and be strong enough to stand up to it.

My starting 11 may cause controversy, but it's not like it'll be the 11 on the night.

Lewis

Logan    Considine    McKenna    Lowe

Gleeson  Shinnie

McGinn          Wright      GMS/McLennan

Cosgrove

GMS has to come back if he's allowed, medically. I have opted for Wright in the 10 role as I feel he could be okay in there, and to be honest, Ferguson needs a rest, and his big goals aside, I don't think his performances have been that good to be honest, file under Shinnie, shows good moments, but nowhere near enough, I actually thought he should have been replaced 2nd half Wednesday at Rangers, as he completely drifted out of the game, but he was physically beat, which I understand given the shift he put in. But it was more evident yesterday again, when the game passed him by.

I have opted for Gleeson as he now deserves another opportunity, a misplaced pass aside, against St Mirren, he's done nothing wrong to merit being left out as much as he has been. We need someone in there with the nous to pick the right pass and not rush anything, it will be a tight game on Tuesday and we need clever heads. Shinnie can do his usual tenacious side of the game, but his composure when picking the right pass is lacking, give Gleeson the chance.

McGinn has to come back in, we need his creativity, albeit I would rather see it in the 10 role, but I think Wright has played more than enough out there, give him the chance through the middle, get him running directly at Centre Half's and see how he fairs.

And yes, Cosgrove back in up top, their Centre Half's are big bastards, would be foolish to play May, Anderson or Wilson against them, if we opt for 2 Strikers, then Cosgrove/Anderson for me. But have a feeling he'll maintain 2 sitting midfielders.

If we play with speed and intent, we will cruise it, I really believe that, if we labour and look for set pieces etc... it'll play into their hands.

* Will go for 3-0 Home win ( Cosgrove, Wright, McGinn ) or 1-0 ( Considine )

* Depending on style of play.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gleeson cannot go for more that 60-65 minutes before he runs out of gas. He's also totally immobile due to being overweight. Sorry KFP but he's just too much of a liability if we were to suffer a couple of early injuries. Last thing we need is to have used 2 subs and then be forced to take him off after an hour leaving us praying no one else gets hurt. Even worse if we get 3 earlyish injuries and we are left with him as a virtual passenger for the last half hour.

Wright was just god awful yesterday. I really don't get why our support seem so obsessed with him as every time he gets a chance (st boo LC game aside) he is a waste of a jersey. I've predicted he will be at a Dumbarton or similar this time next year if he is lucky. Peterhead or even Heilan League if he fails to knuckle down. Sometimes you just have to face what is staring you in the face...he really isn't very good.

I cannot make this one due to work, but sadly not too bothered if being honest.

No idea who will be starting expect some changes after yesterday though, but never quite sure with DM, although Wright and McLennan I would imagine will be dropped.

Livi will make it bloody hard for us as they fight for everything, do we have enough about us to cope and have enough quality to get the result.

Gleeson cannot go for more that 60-65 minutes before he runs out of gas. He's also totally immobile due to being overweight. Sorry KFP but he's just too much of a liability if we were to suffer a couple of early injuries. Last thing we need is to have used 2 subs and then be forced to take him off after an hour leaving us praying no one else gets hurt. Even worse if we get 3 earlyish injuries and we are left with him as a virtual passenger for the last half hour.

Wright was just god awful yesterday. I really don't get why our support seem so obsessed with him as every time he gets a chance (st boo LC game aside) he is a waste of a jersey. I've predicted he will be at a Dumbarton or similar this time next year if he is lucky. Peterhead or even Heilan League if he fails to knuckle down. Sometimes you just have to face what is staring you in the face...he really isn't very good.

Suspect it is because Wright has shown flashes of being a player who can win you the game on his day. At least folk think if he is on the pitch there is the chance of being entertained not bored ridged by the ball being passed backwards or sides ways for 90 minutes like some of our other players do.

As for Tuesday I would expect Livingston to be even more organised and hard to breakdown than St J were on Saturday. We need to drop one from Ferguson Ball and Shinnie to allow McGinn to play through the middle to give us some creation in the middle of the park. Although Wright and McLennan were not great on Saturday I would give them another chance on Tuesday as I don’t see how a young player develops if he is dropped after one poor game. They need a run of games. As for striker I don’t think May did much wrong on Saturday and did well on the limited service he received so would be inclined to stick with him. Suspect McInnes will go with Cosgrove.

Oot

Work

Flat

Flat

1-0 McGinn

Hopefully by the 60-65 minute mark, we'll be 2/3-0 up! I think given the games we've had since since last Sunday, and the games coming up, it has to be time to utilise the squad to our ability, this will be our 4th game in 9 days I think? A lot of minutes on the pitch for some of these players, my dropping of Ferguson is not a reflection of me thinking he's not good enough, I have said before I think he's currently the best midfielder we have, albeit I have been underwhelmed with his overall performances, I just feel he absolutely needs a rest. Gleeson ( again, sound like a broken record ) has probably got the best pedigree at our Club just now in terms of where he has been and the level he has consistently played at. I can't believe people wrote him off as early as 2-3 games into the season, he has not done anything to deserve to be written off, then again, some of the people that have wrote him off are the same people that still advocate for Stevie May to start up front, despite him having countless chances to prove himself now. Not saying Gleeson is the answer, but he deserves game time to at least freshen up the 11 and who knows, maybe he'll make it difficult for McInnes to drop him. 

As for Wright, I actually agree with you that he's been given more time than others, in terms of youth, but it's been mostly out wide, he was outstanding in the 10 role vs St Mirren in the Cup game when we blew them away, we were intense, pacy and he was running at them, causing all sorts of problems, and he actually put through a terrific through ball for May yesterday, and while I am very much against May at the moment, it was a difficult angle for him, so won't be too critical. I think a run of consecutive games in that role will be beneficial for him, as well as us as a whole. If he still doesn't cut the mustard, then either move him on, or give him a loan in where he'd hopefully be guaranteed game time.

I think we need to utilise the squad wisely on Tuesday, and get as many of the " key " players back for the trip to St Mirren on Saturday, unless someone plays out of their skin and merits another start.

I totally agree that of the 4 defensive midfielders we have (Shinnie Ferguson Ball Gleeson) he is by far the most comfortable with the ball at his feet and can pick a better pass than the other 3 also. Just concerns me that we now we have to take him off after an hour. If you think St J are physical, just wait till you see Livi! As I said, a couple of early injuries (and the way Livi play it's very possible that it will occur) and we are left with only one sub left which would under normal circumstances be used to replace Gleeson at the hour mark. I do absolutely concur that Ferguson needs rested in this game.....he should have been rested on Saturday.

I get what you are saying about players needing a run in the side. But I cannot stress just how bad Wright (and McLennan also) were on Saturday. Don't think they enjoyed the physicality of the game and it will be even more physical against this lot tomorrow night. McLennan probably has enough about him to warrant a place on the bench but Wright.....nope not for me sadly.

but Wright.....nope not for me sadly.

You missed the intelligence of his ball through to May, taking out two defenders and creating a serious goal scoring opportunity. It was our best chance in the whole game.

I'm intrigued to know how you can write him off? Given that's he's been at AFC for five+ years, there is an argument that he's not been managed correctly. Divide his starts by years and tell me if that's enough?

You could be right and he'll never amount to much. I don't think the lad has had a fair crack and unlike you, I do see a footballer in there.

Just checked his contract situation.....he is here until 2021. For some reason I only thought he had 18 months left.

You ask why I'm writing him off. Nothing scientific, just pure gut instinct. I do believe that he hasn't got the physical attributes to cut it at the top level. If you look at Ryan Fraser down at Bournemouth......he is even shorter than Wright but physically looks a brute. They had a pre match interview with an injured teammate of his on Saturday and apparently Fraser is in the top 3 at the whole club in bench press weight lifted.

Maybe a change of manager who could implement a different style of play would do Wright good. However I don't think Wiggy is ever going to sack DM and we are saddled with him till 2020. Therefore I think Wright would be better trying his luck at a new club next season, although still having 2 years left on his contract it might be difficult to move him on without a hefty pay off

I've never understood the giving of contracts and paying the wages of footballers who the manager doesn't consider good enough. Given the incredibly meagre starts he's had - which must be less than 5% of games played since he's been here - it's obvious McInnes doesn't rate him highly enough. So why keep on paying him?

There can be another possibility here. McInnes thinks he's a genius developer of young talent and doesn't play them until they're "ready". Wayne Rooney played at 16. SAF played them at 16 and 17. Even Levein has thrown in 16 year olds so until McInnes shows us just one example of a young raw talent who's gone on to bigger and better things under his nurturing, I say that there's a very real possibility that McInnes is the problem, specifically diseased with the notion that "you don't win anything with kids", as famously uttered by that prick Alan Hansen, himself of zero minutes management experience.

I totally agree that of the 4 defensive midfielders we have (Shinnie Ferguson Ball Gleeson) he is by far the most comfortable with the ball at his feet and can pick a better pass than the other 3 also. Just concerns me that we now we have to take him off after an hour. If you think St J are physical, just wait till you see Livi! As I said, a couple of early injuries (and the way Livi play it's very possible that it will occur) and we are left with only one sub left which would under normal circumstances be used to replace Gleeson at the hour mark. I do absolutely concur that Ferguson needs rested in this game.....he should have been rested on Saturday.

I get what you are saying about players needing a run in the side. But I cannot stress just how bad Wright (and McLennan also) were on Saturday. Don't think they enjoyed the physicality of the game and it will be even more physical against this lot tomorrow night. McLennan probably has enough about him to warrant a place on the bench but Wright.....nope not for me sadly.

Think all things being equal we'd have started with Cosgrove on Saturday and gone route 1, or at least changed to that when it was apparent that the midfield were ineffective/tired etc.

Not exactly where we want to be, but I'm sure given the events of the week most of us would've accepted a(nother) turgid 1-0 on Saturday.

Think all things being equal we'd have started with Cosgrove on Saturday and gone route 1, or at least changed to that when it was apparent that the midfield were ineffective/tired etc.

Not exactly where we want to be, but I'm sure given the events of the week most of us would've accepted a(nother) turgid 1-0 on Saturday.

Every one of us would have taken a horrendous 1-0 Home win on Saturday as opposed to a 2-0 defeat. The thing with Cosgrove, the route 1 doesn't work, he wins more headers than he loses, not making that up, revisit the games we have started him and you'll see it for yourself, the problem is that nobody gambles or has the attacking intelligence to get close to him to feed off the header. Where I actually think Cosgrove is most effective, is when the ball is played chest height or at his feet, he takes it in pretty well and always brings others into play, he's not that slow for a big guy either, I absolutely get that Strikers are judged on goals, but none of our Strikers get pass marks on that front at the moment, so it's a case of starting with the one that is most effective, and currently, in my opinion, Cosgrove is that Striker. He should remain so until we bring in another Rooney type, even if we go with 2 Strikers, then he still makes the 11, possibly alongside Anderson, as he's the most natural of our Strikers when it comes to finishing.

You missed the intelligence of his ball through to May, taking out two defenders and creating a serious goal scoring opportunity. It was our best chance in the whole game.

That was a beauty of a pass and one that only him or McGinn or GMS would have made. That's what people like me see in him, but he's not doing it enough at the moment. There was one earlier in the game too, when he laid off an excellent ball with a deft touch to Lowe which was inch perfect for him to put in the cross - again not something others would have done.

The problem on Saturday was McInnes dicking about with the setup every two minutes. Wright started brightly in the centre but was quickly shifted out wide and then to the other wing and then back again. He basically nullified Wright by confusing fuck out of him. My thought was that he did it to get Ferguson in the game more, but it didn't work. The problem with that approach is that Ferguson has had plenty of game time whereas Wright is just getting little bits here and there. McInnes needed to completely simplify the role given to Wright (and McLennan) at the weekend, sticking him in one position and keeping him there to make it easier for him. When he gets the confidence that minutes on the pitch brings, then consider shifting him about as you would with GMS or McGinn. He made it so difficult for the lad, it was frustrating to watch. As for Ferguson, he was poor again and regularly is in that role. He's not the attacking forward, he's the deep lying creator and passer that was completely lacking on Saturday. Ball had some nice touches and some decent play, but it always ended in a sideways pass or the easy/lazy pass out wide to a deep-lying Logan for another looped cross (not Logan's fault). Ball is cover for Shinnie, or for the away games where we require that extra number to break up play in midfield. It's frustrating that McInnes felt obliged to play him after his previous good performances despite it not being the best tactical approach in a home game against poorer opposition. We engineered our own loss on Saturday, and we'll need to undo that shite tomorrow.

Bad news about GMS but absolutely the correct decision after a bad head injury. Probably means McLennan starts again, needs to show a lot more than he did on Saturday though.

Agree Cosgrove should start this one. Our general play is eye bleedingly awful to watch right now but I'll accept a shitfest backs to the wall performance 1-0 win in this one purely to get back on track.

Bad news about GMS but absolutely the correct decision after a bad head injury. Probably means McLennan starts again, needs to show a lot more than he did on Saturday though.

Agree Cosgrove should start this one. Our general play is eye bleedingly awful to watch right now but I'll accept a shitfest backs to the wall performance 1-0 win in this one purely to get back on track.

I'd take that type of performance, if it brought 3 points, on a weekly basis! A win is a win, we can always look to build on that and try and get the performances back to being pleasing on the eye.

McInnes himself said that he realises that certain players he brought in weren't cutting the mustard last season, I think it was after the Motherwell Semi humping, and that he'd need to bring in players that could cut it, can anyone put their hand on their heart and say that he's got the recruitment right? The rise of McKenna was a huge bonus, make no mistake, Ferguson has bags of potential, but I am not convinced that Ferguson was brought in to be a mainstay in the team, but given the lack of trust he has put in his own signings, for whatever reason, he's played about every game! Gleeson made sense, Forrester to a degree made sense, Cosgrove is another Stockley, only not as good in my opinion, Wilson looks a failed gamble, Hoban, again made sense, but thus far, been a failed gamble, I honestly don't trust him in yet another transfer window to change things to turn us into a team that can play football and win games, as opposed to the situation we are in just now, playing for set pieces in dangerous areas etc...

If anything, we are regressing on the pitch, teams know how to set up against us and McInnes doesn't appear to have the wherewithal to adapt and overcome that. I think our league standing currently shows that.

I find it extremely difficult to think we will find a free scoring Striker in a January transfer window, that won't cost an arm and a leg, as we won't get one on a free transfer or get one that is playing and scoring, on a loan.

Out of interest, does anyone know if there is a list of current available free agents, Strikers in particular, to see what sort of options are out there as it stands?

That was a beauty of a pass and one that only him or McGinn or GMS would have made. That's what people like me see in him, but he's not doing it enough at the moment. There was one earlier in the game too, when he laid off an excellent ball with a deft touch to Lowe which was inch perfect for him to put in the cross - again not something others would have done.

The problem on Saturday was McInnes dicking about with the setup every two minutes. Wright started brightly in the centre but was quickly shifted out wide and then to the other wing and then back again. He basically nullified Wright by confusing fuck out of him. My thought was that he did it to get Ferguson in the game more, but it didn't work. The problem with that approach is that Ferguson has had plenty of game time whereas Wright is just getting little bits here and there. McInnes needed to completely simplify the role given to Wright (and McLennan) at the weekend, sticking him in one position and keeping him there to make it easier for him. When he gets the confidence that minutes on the pitch brings, then consider shifting him about as you would with GMS or McGinn. He made it so difficult for the lad, it was frustrating to watch. As for Ferguson, he was poor again and regularly is in that role. He's not the attacking forward, he's the deep lying creator and passer that was completely lacking on Saturday. Ball had some nice touches and some decent play, but it always ended in a sideways pass or the easy/lazy pass out wide to a deep-lying Logan for another looped cross (not Logan's fault). Ball is cover for Shinnie, or for the away games where we require that extra number to break up play in midfield. It's frustrating that McInnes felt obliged to play him after his previous good performances despite it not being the best tactical approach in a home game against poorer opposition. We engineered our own loss on Saturday, and we'll need to undo that shite tomorrow.

Agree 100% with your comments on Wright. I think he goes in to games knowing he has to play out of his skin to keep his place in the starting line up, regardless of how well others are doing and I think that type of pressure gets to him and I think it would get to most players, I would also agree with whoever said it earlier that he has not had a real run of games to see how he gets on, I have seen GMS and McGinn be utter shyte for periods and never get hooked or dropped, even though you know with these types of players there will be periods that it just doesn't happen for them and they have to be taken out of the team for the good of themselves and the team.

Wright is a clever player and can see a pass, what he isn't is a wide player IMO, I see him as an attacking midfielder playing just behind the stiker in a free role. Sadly I feel he will have to move away from us to progress.