Author Topic: Dom Ball  (Read 784 times)

Offline Ten Caat

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 36
Re: Dom Ball
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 12:55:29 AM »
I maybe should point out I do not disagree with their assertion that he isn't of the required quality to have us challenging for the league title. My argument is that he is the level of squad player that we can only expect to employ given our financial constraints.

We might in future have a board willing to put in significant investment in the squad to attain such a level, or we could get lucky and get a golden generation of youths coming through as Fergie got around 80/81. We could also start scouting in foreign climes for value. But as things stand.......Ball is the level of talent we can expect. And at least he does want to be with us......unlike Forrester/Tansey/Wilson and no doubt Gleeson shortly as he gets pissed off not playing.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -142
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 01:24:27 AM »
You said yourself that McInnes was on the equivalent of £17k a week. Do you think he would have walked for only £11k? Imagine the couple of players we could have had for that £6k saved PLUS Ball's wage PLUS every other useless fucker McInnes has recruited if the right manager had been in charge, let alone how much better we could have been if our very good pool of prospective youth talent had been developed properly?

They (Miller, Calderwood and Milne) admitted that they dumbed us down with the "unrealistic expectations" line. As cts said, it's murder and brilliant being Aberdeen but when we accept "squad fillers" and trust the judgement of a manager who himself is never a winner in a million years, we will end up getting the club we deserve, at Westhill Halliburton Arena with its empty trophy cabinet and a once-proud soul from a once-good city, lost for ever.

Realism pills aren't required but the prescription for others may need to boost ambition.

Edit: Actually, realism is the correct diagnosis. If we were real about the agenda of Milne and the reason why he's so desperate to hold on to McInnes, we wouldn't accept where we are just now, a team that managed zero shots on target in a cup final and embarrassingly few scoring chances over the last month and a bit, excepting Hamilton who were fucking toilet that night. Look at the first couple of months of this season too, there should be BIG alarm bells ringing, that's the reality.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:30:40 AM by rocket_scientist »
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline Slim

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -984
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 05:00:22 AM »
If we have such financial constraints, we shouldn’t be wasting our wage budget on squad fillers. We have our youth team and/or the loan market for that (precisely why he’s here in the first place). Instead of giving him a 2/3 year contract, we should easily be able to switch him out with another disposable loan player.

Offline BobbyBiscuit

• Manager
  • Rating: 51
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 08:23:24 AM »
Rocket, Jute, donsdaft, bobbybiscuit to name 4.

No, I think we're saying he should only be a squad filler, not a starter.
It's not about escaping. It's about getting out with a bit of dignity.
If you're in it, don't fucking moan about it, make it yours and leave a mark

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 19
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
In general terms I wouldn’t mind keeping ball to fill the squad, however, I can see him blocking dean campbell’s progress and id rather we kept drip feeding him into the team.
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -60
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »
Utter utter shite

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »
Utter utter shite

He wasn't the only one today!

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 19
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »
He wasn't the only one today!

I thought he was our best midfielder on the pitch today, possibly says how bad we were more than how good he is.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -112
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 07:19:47 PM »
best midfielder? did he run about alot ? a damning indictment if so, him and shinnie together cant work , utterly one dimensional , play him drop shinnie and play an attacking 4 in front or play one of them beside ferguson and play a proper amc , lose v livi tuesday mcinnes should be on shoogly peg time
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline Ten Caat

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 36
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 07:47:33 PM »
He was indeed our best midfielder and not culpable for the defeat as in he did the job he was asked and played simple passes to a team-mate. However would only get 5/10 from me today. Ferguson was poor but I think his legs were gone before we even kicked off. Would probably have been subbed off early second half but both Wright and McLennan were horrendously bad  ( 2/10 for both of them) and we obviously needed to change things. Shortly after which Saints scored their first with Consi being directly at fault both for conceding the corner unnecessarily then failing to deal with Shaughnessy in the air. Shinnie was a headless chicken all afternoon and hampered himself by collecting one of his stupid bookings (less this season I thought he was learning but apparently not)

Ferguson has to be rested Tuesday. Wright can go back to the reserves, McLennan to the bench. I'd be tempted to give young Campbell a start but fuck knows who we put up top. GMS has to start if fit, McGinn back in starting line up.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »
ffs tc thats small pickings no squad depth ? youngsters again flattering to deceive.. £8m on wages
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 202
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 09:02:58 PM »
Not a happy camper tonight.
However didn't see the game, as I suspect several others on here didn't either but by fuck if you have an agenda, you have an agenda and don't let anything cloud your judgement
Steve warm his seat up

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 10:09:45 PM »
agenda ? 2 shite seasons of recruitment.. comparator steve clarke.. tommy wright our wage budget probably greater than both clubs turnover... no critical thinking
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 10:28:17 PM »
agenda ? 2 shite seasons of recruitment.. comparator steve clarke.. tommy wright our wage budget probably greater than both clubs turnover... no critical thinking

Must of hit a nerve there as don't remember quoting or mentioning  you.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:41:27 PM by BigAl »
Steve warm his seat up

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »
Oh and if you want Tommy Wright as manager of Aberdeen then you want to be very careful what you wish for
Steve warm his seat up

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 10:57:58 PM »
I suspect several others on here didn't either

How small was the crowd today? Looked like a pathetic attendance.

I blame Mrs CtS.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 11:01:54 PM »

I blame Mrs CtS.

From memory not sure there is a current Mrs CtS but take your point Rocket.
Steve warm his seat up

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 20
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 11:03:10 PM »

I blame Mrs CtS.

13304 according to BBC site. Pretty certain it was nowhere near that figure.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 11:14:14 PM »
13304 according to BBC site. Pretty certain it was nowhere near that figure.

Agreed. No chance it was 11,000 even. Empty spaces everywhere.

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 20
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »
He was indeed our best midfielder and not culpable for the defeat as in he did the job he was asked and played simple passes to a team-mate. However would only get 5/10 from me today. Ferguson was poor but I think his legs were gone before we even kicked off. Would probably have been subbed off early second half but both Wright and McLennan were horrendously bad  ( 2/10 for both of them) and we obviously needed to change things. Shortly after which Saints scored their first with Consi being directly at fault both for conceding the corner unnecessarily then failing to deal with Shaughnessy in the air. Shinnie was a headless chicken all afternoon and hampered himself by collecting one of his stupid bookings (less this season I thought he was learning but apparently not)

Ferguson has to be rested Tuesday. Wright can go back to the reserves, McLennan to the bench. I'd be tempted to give young Campbell a start but fuck knows who we put up top. GMS has to start if fit, McGinn back in starting line up.

So it wasn’t Ball who’s challenge was brushed aside by Alston as he ran in for the second goal. Thought looked powder puff at the game but waited to check TV highlights to make sure I was not being harsh on him. Any half way decent defensive midfielder would have made sure he either won the ball or brought Alston down. Ball did neither and it summed him up. Even playing at the best of his abilities he offers nothing going forward and is still capable of making the mistake that costs you a goal.