Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Motherwell vs Aberdeen

International Football done for the time being and back to business in the League.

No doubt that Motherwell at Fir Park is a difficult fixture, however, we're on a nice winning streak, albeit playing far from our best, but we will take it, and I see no reason it can't continue on Saturday. Not sure if Devlin is ruled out but that's really the only question mark if he doesn't make it, do we slot Ball in there beside McKenna? Other than that, surely it's as you were against Hibernian.

Motherwell 0 vs 1 Aberdeen ( GMS )

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they say what was wrong with Devlin? Hopefully it wasn't anything serious. I'm guessing that bring consi back along side him rather than ball?

Would hope we've enough confidence flowing through the team now to start consistently getting positive results.

Out

Bed

Bed

Bed

2-1 dons. McGinn and May

Proper football back and coming up to a busy month for us which will define our season.

Bar Devlin, it should be the same team which lined up against Hibs for me.

It will be a tough one, but will hopefully see the players up for it with a cup final coming up the following week.

2-1  May and Wilson

Did they say what was wrong with Devlin? Hopefully it wasn't anything serious. I'm guessing that bring consi back along side him rather than ball?

Aye, definitely Considine for Ball. Ball should be cover for Shinnie and Ferguson, not the centre backs. Considine is comfortable enough on his wrong side and should slot in fine. Also, with Lowe going back in January (although he has indicated he'd like to stay) then we need Considine getting minutes. Devlin has a foot injury, which apparently has made him doubtful for the final, so I'm assuming it's not hugely serious but a few weeks out or something.

Just read that Devlin is definitely out for the Motherwell game, but might make the Final. Fingers crossed, defensively we have been fairly solid with Logan Devlin McKenna Lowe, conceded only one in our last 4 or 5 games I think?

Regarding Ball, I was thinking him for the sheer sake of balance, would be happy enough with Considine and McKenna.

Really hope we can keep Lowe beyond January Rico, great engine, athletic and has a bit of skill about him, he's been a good addition, even if it took him a wee bit to get going, he's definitely our first choice LB now, in my opinion.

Really hope we can keep Lowe beyond January Rico, great engine, athletic and has a bit of skill about him, he's been a good addition, even if it took him a wee bit to get going, he's definitely our first choice LB now, in my opinion.

Absolutely. He's tightened up nicely going back the way where he was a little loose defensively (especially against Hearts). Nobody would suggest Considine getting back in there before January. I've a feeling he'll stay for the remainder of the season and we'll see McKenna leaving and Considine seeing out the season at left centre half until we replace. I'd be happy enough with that outcome. I'd like to see us ditching Reynolds and keeping Considine as centre half cover for another couple of years if he's happy to stay - proper Dandy.

As I've said elsewhere, I reckon if/when, McKenna goes, DM will get between £1.5-2 million to spend on the squad. As Rico says, I'd be happy enough for Consi to see out the season as his temporary replacement and then source a better quality permanent one on a Bosman in the summer.

I'd use the cash to tie up Joe, Devlin, GMS ( if he will sign) and Ferguson on better long contracts. Then offer Derby £500k for Lowe....again no idea if they'd bite or even if he himself would sign on if they did but it's worth asking the question. Shinnie too but I think he is for the off no matter what....he will get at least £8k/week maybe even a bit more at a low to mid table Championship club easily and I doubt we would stretch that far (I also have predicted his eventual destination will be at a promoted Sunderland).

Anyway back on topic, I saw on other boards that Devlin's injury is actually a calf injury not foot and that he is missing the 'Well game purely as a precaution. They have their captain McHugh out suspended, who is their best midfielder. I think under normal circumstances DM would start cagey and go with Ball/Shinnie holding, Ferguson in front of them and only one up top but with McHugh out I thin we can be a bit more adventurous and keep 2 up front. May did well against Hivs and I'd like to see him paired with Anderson but expect Wilson will keep his place in spite of being dreadful recently.

0-2 (McGinn, May :o)

Really think we need to be starting Anderson along side May for this one. Wilson has been poor over last few games. Considine should be able to fill in for Devlin. Others should be as per Hibs game. Well looked awful in last outing against the Tribute Act and this is one we should be looking at winning comfortably.

Oot

Sleeping

Sleeping

Either Cal v Colorado or Warriors v Kings.

3-0 McGinn, May & GMS.

Really think we need to be starting Anderson along side May for this one. Wilson has been poor over last few games. Considine should be able to fill in for Devlin. Others should be as per Hibs game. Well looked awful in last outing against the Tribute Act and this is one we should be looking at winning comfortably.

^ this

There are some BIG reasons for starting Anderson instead of Wilson today.

First of all, he deserves it on merit. His points earned single-handedly versus minutes on pitch is the best in the world right now. I'm not counting the sub in the Warrington Sunday League Division 4 who came on in the 87th and headed the winner because that was his only appearance this season, before going on to his liposuction operation which went horribly wrong.

What the fuck more does Anderson have to do to get his first SPFL start?

Playing him today would show everyone in the club that the manager runs a meritocracy, that he is fair with them all, that he's not ageist, he doesn't have his favourites, isn't too loyal to some and not others and that the American dream is alive and kicking inside AFC. It would also boost team morale to see a deserving case treated right and can only help the respect levels being afforded to the gaffer.

Wilson infuriates me. He cracked in a peach v. Hamilton and has some obvious quality but he's been an underachiever, ever since he got a big contract at 18 coincidentally, although his ACL was unfortunate. He's a fill in, a temporary stop gap, a loanee who we don't build our future around. Anderson on the other hand, like every one of the dozens of AFC youngsters working hard every day for the opportunity to play, is our future.

Consi straight swap for Devlin.

^ this

There are some BIG reasons for starting Anderson instead of Wilson today.

First of all, he deserves it on merit. His points earned single-handedly versus minutes on pitch is the best in the world right now. I'm not counting the sub in the Warrington Sunday League Division 4 who came on in the 87th and headed the winner because that was his only appearance this season, before going on to his liposuction operation which went horribly wrong.

What the fuck more does Anderson have to do to get his first SPFL start?

Playing him today would show everyone in the club that the manager runs a meritocracy, that he is fair with them all, that he's not ageist, he doesn't have his favourites, isn't too loyal to some and not others and that the American dream is alive and kicking inside AFC. It would also boost team morale to see a deserving case treated right and can only help the respect levels being afforded to the gaffer.

Wilson infuriates me. He cracked in a peach v. Hamilton and has some obvious quality but he's been an underachiever, ever since he got a big contract at 18 coincidentally, although his ACL was unfortunate. He's a fill in, a temporary stop gap, a loanee who we don't build our future around. Anderson on the other hand, like every one of the dozens of AFC youngsters working hard every day for the opportunity to play, is our future.

Consi straight swap for Devlin.

It's a difficult one like. Anderson undoubtedly deserves it on merit. However, if he's rushed in and has a run of poor games then it could dent his confidence. He's getting the sort of minutes that we've been crying out for our youth players to get since McInnes arrived, easing them into a good strong career. I think he has a good way to go to become a starting 11 dons striker. Unfortunately for us, so do May, Cosgrove and Wilson. At least with Wilson we can send him back at the end of the season, and if he's finished then it's nae really our problem. If we have a plan that we follow when introducing youngsters (I'm not convinced we do) then we shouldn't sway from that just because Wilson is pap. If starting Anderson in the next few games is deemed good for him then get him in, if he's nae there and it could be detrimental then continue to give him regular minutes until he's up to speed. In short, do what's best for Anderson at this stage rather than what's best for the team. I'm with you like, I'd have him in to see what he can do. Although part of me would like to unleash him in the final instead.

2-0 Down, Danny Johnson double for Motherwell. Both goals apparently errors on our part, only going by BBC Sport. First goal meant to be a major error from Niall McGinn, Second goal meant to be a Stevie May/Joe Lewis error. May & Wilson both had good chances for us also according to BBC Sport, yet it's former Gateshead striker Johnson that has scored the brace  :(

So glad I woke up early to watch this. Really hard to tell which team is on a 4 game winning streak and which was ridden 7-1 in their last game. Don’t think I have heard Wilson’s name once. May again looking a shadow of player who was at St Johnstone. Even Motherwell TV commentators mentioned how he looks like a different player. They are also ripping the piss out of our short corners as they are so poor but we still keep doing them.

Aberdeen have been forced into a change with James Wilson going off. Sam Cosgrove is on for the visitors.

The loss of Wilson could be a concern for Derek McInnes going into next Sunday's League Cup final against Celtic.

I can only presume they meant "blessing" and autocorrect changed it