Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Underachieving Don(s)

I was looking back at the fourteen man squad which won 1995 League Cup and always think Paul Bernard underachieved throughout his whole career.  However I will never forget his goal in 6-5 Fir Park thriller of 99'.  He seemed to take FOREVER to put it away!!!!!!

Any other underachieving players between 1991 and present day worth a mention??

Bernard would have achieved more if it wasn't for his horrendous injury issues.  He was a very good player, but we just didn't see it often enough.

The two Bulgarians were underachievers, given pedigree and expectation.  There are countless others from that period, although there's a lot who didn't underachieve, simply because they weren't good enough in the first place.

Always felt Gary Smith underachieved after a really promising start to his Aberdeen career. I'm not sure if he lost his way when McLeish left or what, but his performances dropped off a cliff for us.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Stephen Glass was one who I thought had the potential to go on to great things but it never quite worked out for him.  Did not underachieve until he left the Dons of course.

Remember going to the Scotland game where he won his first and only cap at Pittodrie and thought at that point he would be in the Scotland team for years to come.

Ruud Gullit seemed to rate him highly at Newcastle and Glass' career started to go downhill after Gullit's sacking and a spell out injured.