Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Hamilton - Halloween fright night

The big one on Wednesday. Hopefully yesterday will give us a bit more belief and we'll give these cunts a tanking. Not that winning against poorer teams has ever been an issue mind.

Hopefully we'll start to see some consistency in team selection in the lead up to the final. I've nae idea what that consistency will entail, but I hope there is some.

One thing about yesterday that was clear is that we really haven't sorted our striker problem with Wilson. Less useful than Cosgrove has been in recent weeks and arguably worse than May too - looked totally disinterested in the first half and his movement was terrible. Improved in the second, but not sure it was enough for a start. May came on and held his position well, worked hard, made the right runs and then fell over the ball or just missed it. Anderson wasn't on the bench yesterday and I'm not convinced he's there yet either. I'd be tempted to give McLennan a run out, but I honestly don't know. Similarly with Wright in attacking midfield who was gash.

With that in mind, I'd go:

----------------Lewis---------------

Logan---Devlin--McKenna---Lowe

--------Ferguson---Shinnie--------

--GMS-------Blank--------McGinn-

---------------TBC------------------

I think the set up is the one that's going to get the best out of those 9, and I think that they are our best in those positions. I think we should just draw lots for the other two positions. Most importantly, I think we should stick with whatever option we choose there for the next few games and try and force it to work.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure Lowe is going to be fit for Wednesday. Richard Gordon said on radio that he had told the bench with 20 minutes to go that hewas struggling with an injury and didn't think he would be able to see the game out. Thankfully he di but could leave us with no option but to play Shinnie left back on Wed assuming Consi won't be risked either.

I thought Anderson - goal against the hun aside - looked a little bit lost at times with a lot of running but little direction. I think he'll come good but not sure he's ready to be our first choice this season. I actually thought that McLennan looked the more finished of the two. That said, I'd have said the same about Wilson yesterday, he looked like he had no idea what he was supposed to be doing or where he was supposed to be running. I thought May looked better than him when he came on and that was despite falling over the ball constantly. May actually looked like he knew what he should be doing but just had a severe lack of confidence/nerves and so tripped over the ball each time he got it. Of the two, I think we'd be more likely to play the nerves out of May than get Wilson to play the lone striker role, but it's a shite choice.

Perhaps go with Wilson with McLennan in behind on Wednesday to see if McLennan is going to be up to the task this season. It'd be nice to persevere a bit longer with Wright, but he was gash also.

Edit: Is it best just to accept that we've only got shite strikers until January and we take the pressure of them and see how it goes? We can complain all we want about each individual, but the alternatives are also pap.

Agree that May looked better than Wilson yesterday but probably more because Wilson was just plain anonymous and perhaps even a bit disinterested.

I suspect we will go with Wilson as I think Man U will have inserted a clause in his loan deal that he has to play the majority of games if he is fit. As for Anderson, his equaliser against sevco bought him a huge amount of kudos with our fans but really hasn't done much in the (limited admittedly) game time he has had since. He needs to go out on loan to a decent Championship club in January......Dunfermline or the caravan dwellers would be ideal.....to get experience and toughen him up a bit. My gut feeling is the opposite of Rico though. Just don't think he will be of the required quality long term but would love to be proved wrong.

Lewis

Logan

Devlin

McKenna

Shinnie

Ball

Ferguson

McLennan

McGinn

GMS

Cosgrove

We have some big games coming up, away to Killie then home to Hibs, if any player is a slight doubt, we shouldn't risk them, with all due respect to Hamilton, we should still have enough about us to beat them. Let McGinn play off Cosgrove, McLennan & GMS providing width.

Yesterdays achievement was superb, I really hope it kicks us on in the league now, we have winnable games coming up, although they're going to be difficult, more noticeably Killie away & Hibs at home, they're still winnable. 

I suspect we will go with Wilson as I think Man U will have inserted a clause in his loan deal that he has to play the majority of games if he is fit.

Is there any evidence that has ever happened in the history of fitba? One club forcing another to play their player on loan? I can't imagine any fitba manager ever agreeing to that. Nor could I imagine Man U every putting a clause like that in the contract of a guy who's leaving for free at the end of the season anyway.

Is there any evidence that has ever happened in the history of fitba? One club forcing another to play their player on loan? I can't imagine any fitba manager ever agreeing to that. Nor could I imagine Man U every putting a clause like that in the contract of a guy who's leaving for free at the end of the season anyway.

I don't think they could actually force a club to to play a player but there are deals where the loan payments are structured in such a way that they increase if the player on loan is not playing.

I don't think they could actually force a club to to play a player but there are deals where the loan payments are structured in such a way that they increase if the player on loan is not playing.

Aye, okay, that makes sense. Apologies TC, wasn't obvious enough for me.

I'd like to think that Wilson won't be on that type of deal given it's the final year of his contract. Nae like he'll be earning them a fee at the end of it, so in reality will just be punting part of a wage off their books.

Will be interesting to see if he's still here at the end of Jan either way,

Hopefully see a reasonable turnout, despite the opposition.  Also really hope that the result on Sunday gives this team the shot in the arm it needed.  Also, a confidence booster to the manager to show we don't need to be so defensive all the time.  That said, i have no idea who i'd play up front. May has the desire but zero confidence.

Out

Out

Out

Dons 2 - Hamilton 1, Shinnie and GMS

Wilson was poor last night, did appear a tad disinterested, actually thought May was an improvement. :eek:

May was his usual self.. crap. . watch a replay of him trying to control a pass to him and he just let the ball bounce off the back of his leg then lost it to the opposition.

You are correct about Wilson he looks as if he does not want to be here.

Aberdeen will win on Wednesday by 3 goals. :thumbsup:

Ps This match is live on RED TV International

Going to miss this one as cannot get away from work in time. This is one we should be looking to win comfortably and if we had an even half way decent striker I have every confidence we would however all three of our main strikers look incapable of scoring so we will have to rely on others to score until we can address this in January. Do not like to change a winning team so other than the obvious Lowe in for Considine due to injury I would say go with same 11 as started against the Tribute Act.  Wright did not play well on Sunday but needs a run of games to let us see if he can be a regular first team player for us. Wilson was also poor but still looks best of a bad bunch.

Oot

Work

Flat

Flat

2-0 McGinn and GMS

I felt a large part of Wright's performance was no service at all related.    We were bypassing the midfield for mcginn and gms  for large parts of that game and he didn't get much of a sniff. 

I think may will start this with wilson or cosgrove given he had an impact when he came on.  I hope we don't get cocky, Hamilton can be an easy game but they can also be a giant banana skin if you don't take them seriously. 

Consi is out according to the ee.

I felt a large part of Wright's performance was no service at all related.    We were bypassing the midfield for mcginn and gms  for large parts of that game and he didn't get much of a sniff. 

I think may will start this with wilson or cosgrove given he had an impact when he came on.  I hope we don't get cocky, Hamilton can be an easy game but they can also be a giant banana skin if you don't take them seriously. 

Consi is out according to the ee.

I'd go for the same line up as Sunday, but with Lowe in for Considine and just go for Hamilton from the off, that line up is possibly our strongest at the moment and should be more than capable to brushing aside Hamilton.

Hoping to see a good crowd also on the back of Sunday.

3-0 Wilson x 2 and Wright.