Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen V The Rangers

Scottish League Cup Semi Final

Sunday 28th October

:ultras:

Play without fear.

Aberdeen 2 The Rangers 0

Keep the fucking faith. :thumbsup:

Our manager sets us up that way though Len, so can't expect the players to be fearless. Guarantee you next week we will be camped in our own half punting aimless balls up front and praying for a penalty shoot out. If it works then hooray, if it doesn't, then what?

Beat The Rangers next Sunday and all the talk of manager change will stop and the Aberdeen fans will reunite as one again. If we get a doing then who knows.

Yesterday we lost away from home to a club top of the league. If we had not played our worst first half of the season so far against Hearts it would have been a different outcome.

The apathy felt by our fans at the present time is worrying but could all change next Sunday night.

Beat The Rangers next Sunday and all the talk of manager change will stop and the Aberdeen fans will reunite as one again. If we get a doing then who knows.

Yesterday we lost away from home to a club top of the league. If we had not played our worst first half of the season so far against Hearts it would have been a different outcome.

The apathy felt by our fans at the present time is worrying but could all change next Sunday night.

Whilst it will be great to win the semi next week, I honestly don't think it will get a lot of fans back onside. He lost a lot of us with last Decembers will he/wont he debacle.

He should have been shown the door as soon as he felt he had a decision to make about going to the hun, but he lucked out and got a pay rise fae the dodgy builder.

And therein lies the problem

Derek McInnes fine with The Rangers semi-final fan numbers:

"I'm more concentrated and focused on the supporters who have bought a ticket and will be there and we'll be trying to get the right result for the club and them," McInnes said.

He is correct in saying that Fergie's teams in the 80s it was quite consistent - 10,000 in Glasgow.

Does having a huge fan backing mean you will win agame of football. That is a debate in it's self.

As I have said before players win football matches, fans make the noise.

What the fuck drugs are you on? I’ll have some.

What the fuck drugs are you on? I’ll have some.

:laughing: Been so much doom and gloom lately just needed to look on the bright side.

With luck on our side one never knows what can happen, but judging by the two penalties awarded to Sevco today to make sure they won the game against Hamilton we will need to be at our best.

Appreciate the optimism, but other than post split last year where we dug out a second place finish it’s been doom and gloom for a while. Team performances have been generally poor for over a year now, tactics constantly baffling, our two central mids than we thought would finally be the replacements for Flood Jack Robson and McLean appear failures, McKenna will probably go in January, and increasingly worrying that GMS and Shinnie will be offski too. While people complain about the complainers, to me a good result or two simply papers over increasing cracks. I think we missed an opportunity punting DM to the Huns, both for our benefit and to limit their progress.

Appreciate the optimism, but other than post split last year where we dug out a second place finish it’s been doom and gloom for a while. Team performances have been generally poor for over a year now, tactics constantly baffling, our two central mids than we thought would finally be the replacements for Flood Jack Robson and McLean appear failures, McKenna will probably go in January, and increasingly worrying that GMS and Shinnie will be offski too. While people complain about the complainers, to me a good result or two simply papers over increasing cracks. I think we missed an opportunity punting DM to the Huns, both for our benefit and to limit their progress.

I was just thinking the same thing  >:D

I watched most of the huns game today - they're pretty average, we have nothing to fear.

But, we're pretty average, and they have nothing to fear.

We average just over one goal a game scored and exactly one conceded, in the league.

The huns are the same for conceding but just under 2.5 goals scored per game.

Therefore, our manager will put us out to defend, in all likelihood, because that is generally what he does against the "big" teams.

I would like to see :

Lewis

Logan  Devlin  McKenna  Lowe

GMS  Shinnie Ferguson  McLellan

McGinn

Wilson

Shinnie and Ferguson can anchor the midfield and get us going forward between them, two attacking full backs with two wingers ahead of them who want to take players on.  McGinn getting space behind Wilson gives us another avenue of creativity. Look at the ball McGinn played Wilson for his goal against Motherwell; that's the sort of football we need to see more of; gives us another dimension because at the moment we are far too easy to play against.

But, I'd imagine Cosgrove and Ball will play on Sunday.

I think we missed an opportunity punting DM to the Huns, both for our benefit and to limit their progress.

I suppose Wiggy could have kept him on the same salary rather than promising him the bumper pay rise to stay but sevco were an absolute basket case at that point. Going there for a similar or marginally improved pay probably wouldn't make up for the long term career damage it would have done to him if he went there and failed (stopping the dhims doing 10 in a row is all that they will settle for. Even winning the Scottish Cup 3 times in a row won't save Gerrard or whoever is in charge at the point Celtic do lift that 10th title)

I suppose Wiggy could have kept him on the same salary rather than promising him the bumper pay rise to stay but sevco were an absolute basket case at that point. Going there for a similar or marginally improved pay probably wouldn't make up for the long term career damage it would have done to him if he went there and failed (stopping the dhims doing 10 in a row is all that they will settle for. Even winning the Scottish Cup 3 times in a row won't save Gerrard or whoever is in charge at the point Celtic do lift that 10th title)

I’m honestly not really caring about the Huns and the state they were in. Just think at that point the time was right for him to move on.

I’m honestly not really caring about the Huns and the state they were in. Just think at that point the time was right for him to move on.

Had none of that happened, I'd have been happy we retained him that previous summer and in all likelihood, he wouldn't have had the complete and utter arse collapse against them before Christmas. However, it did and I think a lot of us on here at the time said that whilst getting one over the huns in the short term was great, it was an opportunity missed.

Fuck it. I’m strangely optimistic. I think they’ll underestimate us.  2-1 The Dons.

Beautiful. I concur.

In

Somewhere surrounded by empty seats

2-1 us

GMS x2

Smirking my way back up the road knowing afc have got a load of Hun cash burning a hole in their pocket!

:AFC2:

I also watched most of the Hamilton Hun game and newco were really ordinary and pedestrian. Cracking equaliser the only thing worth watching. They can easily be beaten but I suspect Stevie Tink will have them properly motivated whereas McInnes has never inspired and imparted belief in the big games.

The law of averages helps us. We can't keep on fucking up against these cunts. Surely it's time.

I also watched most of the Hamilton Hun game and newco were really ordinary and pedestrian. Cracking equaliser the only thing worth watching. They can easily be beaten but I suspect Stevie Tink will have them properly motivated whereas McInnes has never inspired and imparted belief in the big games.

The law of averages helps us. We can't keep on fucking up against these cunts. Surely it's time.

Let's fucking hope so, can't be arsed listening to more of the " Some fans wants us to lose " pish, there's a fine line between being optimistic given our form, and realism, given our form. I do think we can win, but it requires McInnes getting the players up for it & playing a positive formation whilst not trying to be a tactical genius. I honestly believe he played for Penalties against Hibs, an absolutely enormous gamble & one a club like ours should not be doing, but that is my opinion.

Talking starting line-up, I'd make an adjustment or 2.

Lewis

Logan

Devlin

McKenna

Lowe

Ferguson

Shinnie

McGinn

Wright

GMS

Wilson

I think McGinn did enough in his 45 minutes against Hearts there to merit a place back in the 11, we need him in that form, we need GMS to involve himself more, young Ferguson won't have another stinker like that, he's combative, so stick him in beside Shinnie & I'd plump for Lowe ahead of Considine again, purely for his ability to get up and down the pitch, plus a lot of their goals come from Tavernier and his deliveries, we need to nip that in the bud as early as possible.

Wilson is clearly a better footballer than Cosgrove, if we play to our capabilities, we should not need to send aimless punts up the park, hopefully we get it in and around Wilson so he can impact the game and involve our attacking midfielders. If it's not working, then we can always resort to Cosgrove coming on & hope for the best.

That's the team I'd go with KFP. I wouldn't be averse to seeing Considine ahead of Lowe depending on how they set up. Lowe has been a great asset going forward, but he's seriously lacking in defence. If McGinn's on his side of the pitch though, he'll have decent support so I'd go with him.

That midfield is weak though. Ferguson is a great prospect, but his workrate isn't close to what we got from KM. Shinnie's workrate has been phenomenal so far this season, but he's doing the work of two players (Ball not got the coverage either) and that's meant that at times he's playing like someone who's just played 45 minutes in a kick about before the game has begun, with tired passing and poor decision making. It's like he's playing purely on adrenaline constantly.

Get Wright on the ball quickly and early and hope to fuck he turns up. Similarly GMS.

We're way off the pace this season, we just couldn't afford the mistakes made in the transfer window. We're relying on a solid back 4, but Devlin was honking against Hearts, so he needs to get his head back in it again too. We need a massive performance as this is one of the few opportunities we're going to get this season.

As the week goes by folk will forget about our defeats and really think that it is not a foregone conclusion that some people think

The Rangers can be beaten if our players start playing from the first whistle and not wait until we are a goal down.

Go two goals up then see what happens.

We have a big game performance in us, why not on Sunday  :thumbsup:

As the week goes by folk will forget about our defeats and really think that it is not a foregone conclusion that some people think

The Rangers can be beaten if our players start playing from the first whistle and not wait until we are a goal down.

Go two goals up then see what happens.

We have a big game performance in us, why not on Sunday  :thumbsup:

Len, I do believe we can beat them, They're not that good, but at this moment in time, they are better than us. Our players follow instructions from our manager, Saturdays first half was down to him, in the opening 10 minutes, we conceded 3 corners and could not get out of our half, because we had no out ball, aimless punts to Cosgrove, and Wilson in the 2nd half, clearly didn't work, that was our game plan, the evidence of that is there and plain to see.

As ever with McInnes, we will get a general idea of how we're approaching this game as early as 10 minutes. He will approach it the exact same way we approached the Hibs cup game, only this time it won't be enough, we need to be positive, Hamilton created plenty of chances as I seen in the highlights, we are better than Hamilton & are more than capable of creating more chances than Hamilton. Tavernier is their main threat, he creates lots of their goals, we need to nullify him, the only way to do that is make sure GMS is attacking and driving at him, and covering when he needs too, but I think Lowe will handle him defensively when the need arrives.

Rico, I think Ferguson is a combative type, he can play as well, I actually feel him & Shinnie would compliment each other well, it allows us to bring in Wright in the role that Ferguson normally plays, which I think would be more productive for us offensively. Mickel Miller of Hamilton ran directly at Goldson & Katic several times and they simply couldn't cope, Wright could do the same for us, but his end product need to be more consistent.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Tavernier is their main threat, he creates lots of their goals, we need to nullify him, the only way to do that is make sure GMS is attacking and driving at him

Your post got me thinking Kenny as I reckon it is more likely to be McGinn who is up against Tavernier.  What has turned our team from a free flowing attacking team a couple of years ago to a more rigid defensive team which struggles to create chances?

Part of it I'm certain is that our wide players no longer play as orthodox wingers.  When we had Hayes on one side and McGinn on the other we had a left footed player on the left and a right footer on the right.  The crosses were being bombed in and Rooney was in his element.

What I cannot fathom is why we play GMS predominantly on the right and McGinn on the left.  It is counterproductive, we narrow the pitch plus any time they want to cross the ball they need to stop and cut back.  It is a gripe of modern day football for me as a number of managers seem to play their wide players in the same way.