Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

4 (FOUR) Aberdeen F.C. Players in Scotland Squad

I don't get the being proud angle. It's great that Aberdeen players are considered to be amongst the best in the country but what if they're not very good, or the competition for places is particularly weak? The results over the last 20 years haven't been good enough and with the current set-up, manager and squad, it's highly unlikely that anything is going to change. Is that negative enough for you?

Devlin and McKenna have formed a great partnership in less than three months and it's great that they've been recognised, by a manager who used to play in that position for the same club. They thoroughly deserve their call ups and if it were me, I would play them together, no question.

Shinnie I feel sorry for. He's got an international class attitude. He's hungry and desperate to do well. He grafts and is a rare footballer who always gives 100%. But where do we play him? Even if he had been played at Left Back at Aberdeen, I don't think he would be picked ahead of Robertson (and Tierney getting a start in the same team as Robertson makes zero sense). Is he good enough in midfield to make any impact at international level?

GMS is a conundrum. During an impromptu sesh in the Masada on Wednesday between 4 and 8, I ran into an old mate. We used to play together, he's been going to Pittodrie for as long as I have and still goes to most of the away games. Where he loves GMS, I don't see him as an international class footballer but given the lack of genuine talent in the competition for places, I fully understand his selection. He can make things happen and has pace and great feet but if he's not good enough for Celtic, I can't see how he's going to be valuable for Scotland.

If Scotland ever do anything that anyone can be "proud of", I'll congratulate them. Whatever the composition of the squad, they're going to be nothing but an embarrassment for the foreseeable future for reasons that run deep and reasons that are fatal in my book, the neglect of the grass roots over decades being the biggest.