Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Celtic V Aberdeen

Saturday 29th September 2018

:ultras:

Let's hope Celtic take out their frustrations on St Johnstone tonight and not us on Saturday. I have no idea what formation D.M. will play but still believe we can get a result at Parkhead. Just watch a replay of our last match in the last game of last season in Glasgow and go with that.

Celtic 0 Aberdeen 1  :thumbsup:

This match is available on RED TV International.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celtic are 2/7 and AFC 9/1 but favourites don't always win.

The only way to beat the champions (and the bookies) starts by putting out the best players in the right formation and hoping that they play well. I think he should go: -

Lewis

Logan - Devlin - McKenna - Shinnie

McGinn - Ball - GMS - Lowe

Cosgrove - Wilson

I would actually prefer: -

Lewis

Logan - Devlin - McKenna - Shinnie

McGinn - GMS - Lowe

Anderson - Cosgrove - Wilson

but having a go hasn't been in his script nor will he have the sense to get Shinnie out of the middle (where he's been frustratingly poor recently) and back into his best position.

This is a great time to meet Celtic but I wouldn't look to the dead rubber that was the last game of last season for any precedent. They can't afford to not win but neither can we. Our league campaign will be over - in September - if we get beat as the bookies strongly think that we will.

Edit: I think my team is awesome. It's something we could get excited about.

The defence is superb, almost impenetrable with the poor hapless Considine oot the road. And here's why we wouldn't spend the whole match relying on them.  McGinn and GMS are experienced campaigners. Give them instructions to hold the ball more often than trying to seek killer passes. The energy of Lowe, Anderson and Wilson swarming around them will provide short passing options plus Logan and Shinnie will not be shy moving down the flanks. Cosgrove is a target but he's also capable of holding it and plays intelligent flicks on. That is the best AFC for Saturday in my opinion and when Ferguson and Wright are fit, it will be McGinn and GMS who are vulnerable for their starts. Go with youth and energy McInnes. No cunt wins by accident, only by design. And by fuck Shinnie at LB completes the set, our best defence for decades.

Can't see Celtic being as impotent as Hibs, should we choose to adopt the same system.

However, they are not very confident themselves just now, and as Killie have just proved, and I have a sneaky feeling St Johnstone will tonight also, they can certainly be got at.

Think Ferguson is back for this one, fairly sure McInnes said that last night.

Lewis

Logan  Devlin  McKenna  Lowe

Ball      Shinnie

GMS        Ferguson        McGinn

Wilson

Heart says Tims 0 - 2 Aberdeen ( Wilson, Devlin )

Head says Tims 3 - 1 Aberdeen ( Wilson )

You want to play GMS in the middle of the park?

GMS is one of my least favourite Dons. He is quick, both in feet and decision-making but he lacks heart, grit and steel and doesn't do enough over the course of a whole month, let alone season, offering only flashes of effectiveness. If Ferguson is back, I wouldn't play GMS at all, particularly against his ex-employer who didn't rate him and against whom I can't remember him doing anything.

My thinking was attack is the best form of defence so I put McGinn, GMS and Lowe as the links between the solid and significantly-strengthened Shinnie-infused back four and the capable front three. I don't see the need for a holding midfielder to try and compete with Brown's role. We don't need to match their line-up at all. Let them worry about us.

I don't think Ball and Shinnie are good enough in the middle of the park to break down the opposition, nor are they effective enough at providing assists. The high energy of Lowe, Anderson and Wilson supported by experience (McGinn and GMS) and strength (Cosgrove) was one that made me salivate. If indeed Ferguson is back, a high energy attacking game in front of the best defence we've seen at AFC for a decade and a half would be my preferred route.

One thing's for sure, McInnes hasn't been able to beat Celtic in games that matter previously. And if he keeps on doing the same things, he ain't beating them any season soon.

GMS is one of my least favourite Dons. He is quick, both in feet and decision-making but he lacks heart, grit and steel and doesn't do enough over the course of a whole month, let alone season, offering only flashes of effectiveness. If Ferguson is back, I wouldn't play GMS at all, particularly against his ex-employer who didn't rate him and against whom I can't remember him doing anything.

My thinking was attack is the best form of defence so I put McGinn, GMS and Lowe as the links between the solid and significantly-strengthened Shinnie-infused back four and the capable front three. I don't see the need for a holding midfielder to try and compete with Brown's role. We don't need to match their line-up at all. Let them worry about us.

I don't think Ball and Shinnie are good enough in the middle of the park to break down the opposition, nor are they effective enough at providing assists. The high energy of Lowe, Anderson and Wilson supported by experience (McGinn and GMS) and strength (Cosgrove) was one that made me salivate. If indeed Ferguson is back, a high energy attacking game in front of the best defence we've seen at AFC for a decade and a half would be my preferred route.

One thing's for sure, McInnes hasn't been able to beat Celtic in games that matter previously. And if he keeps on doing the same things, he ain't beating them any season soon.

It's certainly bold but I doubt we'd ever win possession with that midfield, let alone do much to help out or shield the defence.

If you want an attack-minded team, how about:

Lewis

Logan Devlin McKenna Lowe

Gleeson Shinnie Forrester

McGinn Wilson GMS

At least Shinnie in that midfield would provide some kind of screening for the centre backs.

It's certainly bold but I doubt we'd ever win possession with that midfield, let alone do much to help out or shield the defence.

If you want an attack-minded team, how about:

Lewis

Logan Devlin McKenna Lowe

Gleeson Shinnie Forrester

McGinn Wilson GMS

At least Shinnie in that midfield would provide some kind of screening for the centre backs.

It's all about opinions.

1. You and I see that Considine at LB won't work. McInnes doesn't agree.

2. You and McInnes think that Shinnie in midfield can work. I don't agree.

3. You see Gleeson as good enough to play and get a result at Parkhead. I don't agree.

4. You see Forrester as good enough to play and get a result at Parkhead. I don't agree.

I know you were just speculating on an alternative for an attacking formation but I also can't ever see McGinn and GMS as up-front targets. The limited skills that they do possess is required for running, passing and providing although an experiment that he's not tried but could work is McGinn up front because he does know how to bang them in the onion bag given half a chance.

It's all about opinions.

1. You and I see that Considine at LB won't work. McInnes doesn't agree.

2. You and McInnes think that Shinnie in midfield can work. I don't agree.

3. You see Gleeson as good enough to play and get a result at Parkhead. I don't agree.

4. You see Forrester as good enough to play and get a result at Parkhead. I don't agree.

I know you were just speculating on an alternative for an attacking formation but I also can't ever see McGinn and GMS as up-front targets. The limited skills that they do possess is required for running, passing and providing although an experiment that he's not tried but could work is McGinn up front because he does know how to bang them in the onion bag given half a chance.

I think Shinnie works better in there than GMS would, and, also better than anyone else we've got with the exception of Ferguson. Lowe at LB and Shinnie in the middle is, potentially, better than Shinnie at LB and Ball in the middle.

Gleeson and Forrester were in "my" team purely as more attacking options than the team McInnes is likely to put out.

In reality, the best way to get a result against Celtic is to get in their faces and put them under pressure constantly. With that in mind, I'd definitely have Shinnie in midfield as he has the drive and energy to do that. That also happens to be the way I'd set the team out every week so, picking a team from our full squad (so obviously not for Saturday), I'd go:

----------Lewis----------

Logan - Devlin - McKenna - Lowe

McGinn - Shinnie - Ferguson - GMS

---------Wright------------

---------Wilson---------------

So with no Ferguson or Wright this weekend(?) I'd pull Wilson back to that attacking midfield position, put McGinn up front with Frank Ross wide right and play Ball in CM as I think he has more energy and athleticism than Gleeson.

Big game coming up here for the likes of Shinnie and Logan who were very loud (and why nae) after we got a result there at the end of last season. The challenge will be to do it again. Do not show them any respect. Make sure they knows they're in a game and stay on the fucking park and I think we have every chance of getting a result.

For some fucking reason I'm going to the game so it better nae be nane o' yer 9-0 pish.

Not going as refuse to give these robbing cunts £28 for a restricted view ticket. Hopefully last night will not have taken to much out of players as we will have to be at top of our game for 90 minutes if we are to get anything from game. Any news on any of injured players being back?

Oot

Flat

Civil Service Stollers v Forres Mechanics in Scottish Cup.

Flat

2-0 Celtic as they always raise their game against us.

Boyota sent off and will be suspended as bookings the league cup count in the league ,Ajer injured so very possibly could miss.  Who are they going to be playing at the back on Saturday I wonder...

It was a straight red and according to BBC means he will miss semi final only. Only if it had been violent conduct would he have missed next league game.

This "seven defenders" chat is pretty tedious, not to mention completely incorrect. For starters, Dom Ball is and always has been a midfield player who can (arguably) cover in defence, while Shinnie has played more games in midfield than defence in his entire time at Aberdeen, even if you can argue the toss over where his best position really is.

You could put out a team of "defenders" but if you asked two of them to play on the wings and another two up front that's pretty different to playing all of them in the defensive areas, which is what the "seven defenders" brigade try to imply that McInnes does so they've got another stick to beat him with.

Turns out Ferguson isn't back for this one, I could have sworn he said in his post match or pre match interview that he'd be back for this game, never mind.

Will most likely be the same 11 that played against Hibs then I'd imagine, should be interesting, as we didn't look close to scoring in open play for 90 minutes then, hopefully Celtic's defence are nervous, because they have been up until now.

This "seven defenders" chat is pretty tedious, not to mention completely incorrect. For starters, Dom Ball is and always has been a midfield player who can (arguably) cover in defence, while Shinnie has played more games in midfield than defence in his entire time at Aberdeen, even if you can argue the toss over where his best position really is.

You could put out a team of "defenders" but if you asked two of them to play on the wings and another two up front that's pretty different to playing all of them in the defensive areas, which is what the "seven defenders" brigade try to imply that McInnes does so they've got another stick to beat him with.

I think 7 'defenders' is very relevant. Sends a clear message of intent, and makes the mindset of our manager pretty obvious. Playing Shinnie, Ball, even Lowe in midfield is very different to playing Shinnie, Forrester, and McGinn for example. We have quite often played a vulnerable Celtic and choose not to have a go but fail playing with a defensive mindset. This, to me, is a game we have a go with more attack minded players when Celtic aren't on form and are lacking defenders.

As someone posted, we didn't look like scoring against Hibs in 90 mins and have struggled this year, the Wednesday lineup isn't good enough for me for this weekend. Our manager will shit it though, and I even see him dropping a forward for another midfielder. I'd accept Ball and Shinnie in center mid since Shinnie does get forward, obviously McKenna and Devlin, with Logan and Lowe pushing forward from full back (plus we need the pace of Lowe for the tims) , but the remaining 4 need to be attack minded players.

I think 7 'defenders' is very relevant. Sends a clear message of intent, and makes the mindset of our manager pretty obvious.

It's not relevant, because it's made up shite. A complete lie. We didn't play with seven defenders. We played a very orthodox 5 defenders to match Hibs' formation, with two of those tasked with attacking. We also played with 3 very high attacking players, hence surrending the midfield to Hibs. We've been crying out for McInnes to try two up front for ages and when he does he gets accused of being defensive. We might have been shite against Hibs, but we weren't defensive as could be seen by the gaping holes left anytime they intercepted a crap pass out from defence (happened a lot).

Anyway, I'd go more defensive against the Tims. I don't think GMS playing high up really worked, I think he's more suited to playing the wide role in front of the back four in either a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. We got good success last game of last season with the 4-2-3-1 so I'd go with something akin to that.

---------------Lewis-----------------

Logan---Devlin---McKenna---Consi

-----------Ball------Shinnie---------

--McGinn-----Wilson--------GMS---

---------------Cosgrove-------------

Reluctant to play either McGinn or Cosgrove as they've been poor, but due to Ferguson and Wright being out I'd go with it. Considine shades it over Lowe for me in a 4 as I think Lowe's defending has been very lax since joining and I think if Considine plays the way he did against them last season, and Burnley this, he'll be fine. I don't think we've got our answer in midfield to allow Shinnie to play there yet and I don't think Lowe is our answer - or a better answer than Considine - at left back. If we go with a 5 then obviously I'd have Lowe.

2-0 the dons. Wilson and May (sub)