Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Hibernian v Aberdeen Betfred Cup Quarter-Final

:ultras:

Aberdeen will need to play well on Tuesday to win this one. Not much difference between the two clubs and may take a moment of magic from an Aberdeen player to win it. D.M will be more defensive in this one.

Hibs 1 Aberdeen 2

This match is on BT Sport 1 and RED TV International at 19.45

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully have this on in the background at work.  Been a while since i've been able to watch a mate, bring on more evening football!  8)  We'll need to up our game against HIVs, but hopefully they've had a nice wee confidence booster from yesterdays result.  Is it the league cup that doesn't go to a replay?

Hibs 1 - Dons 1, McKenna (hibs to win aet if no replay).

Hopefully have this on in the background at work.  Been a while since i've been able to watch a mate, bring on more evening football!  8)  We'll need to up our game against HIVs, but hopefully they've had a nice wee confidence booster from yesterdays result.  Is it the league cup that doesn't go to a replay?

Aye Manc, no replays in League Cup.

We'll need to move up a couple of gears to beat Hibs tomorrow.

Fear that McInnes will set us up to neutralise them as per usual, rather than attempt to play to our strenghts.

On that basis I'm going for Hibs to win 2-0, but will be delighted to be proved wrong.

I didn't think we were allowed to back the opposition to win? Call yourself a true fan? 6-0 the dons for me.

Difficult one though, the team that played on Saturday won't be hibs and I think McInnes will be aware of that. When Motherwell overloaded us in midfield in the second half we struggled to create anything. Cosgrove helps the overall shape of the team in a 4-4-2 and gives us a permanent outball and something for the other striker to play off however I don't think he's contributing enough to make it worth missing a man in midfield - he's not enough of a threat to the opposition. Worryingly, Wilson faded pretty early at the weekend and I don't think he's got 90 minutes in him and I'm not sure if he can play the lone striker role either. I think we'll have to play one up front and a mix of Cosgrove/Anderson and Wilson depending on fitness. We can't afford to give hibs the possession and space we gave Motherwell at the weekend, so I don't think we can play 4-4-2.

--------------Lewis---------------

Logan--Devlin--McKenna--Consi

-----------Ball---Shinnie---------

--GMS------Nae Sure----McGinn

--------------Wilson--------------

I've written "nae sure" because if Ferguson is fit I'd have him in there, similarly Wright. If not, I'd probably play Wilson in there with Cosgrove on his own. I'm just not sure if Wilson is fit enough to do the tracking back yet. I think we'll really struggle tomorrow, I think this one is just coming a bit too soon for us as we're clearly not settled as an 11 yet. 

Fear that McInnes will set us up to neutralise them as per usual, rather than attempt to play to our strenghts.

What are our strengths? Genuinely. I'm not sure. I have an idea what our strengths might be this season, but so far they remain completely unproven and based on players that I think might be good (Wilson, Wright) rather than what we've seen so far.

What are our strengths? Genuinely. I'm not sure. I have an idea what our strengths might be this season, but so far they remain completely unproven and based on players that I think might be good (Wilson, Wright) rather than what we've seen so far.

To be honest Rico this season I'm not sure on that either, but I'd imagine that McInnes sees it as our defence and our ability (in his eyes) to manage games from a winning position, but in truth we've not really been able to do that so far this season.

Last season I felt we had goals a plenty throughout our squad, but Derek does seem to love his game management.

Now it may well be that Hibs strenghts are in the forward part of the pitch and our strenght at the back could in fact nullify them but I reckon they're not the strongest in defence and thats why we need to get GMS and McGinn running at them from the off.

Reckon there is little doubt that he will play Cosgrove up top to get in about Ambrose, and given his inability to score, if Wilson doesn't start (and I doubt he will go two up top) then it is difficult to see where our goals are going to come from.

If I'm being honest, I am living more in hope than anticipation for this game.

There is little doubt that this is already a very important week for us, what with a visit to the Giro Dome coming up next.

Can't say I'm particularly looking forward to this game, Hibs do goals and we (apart from one notable exception this season) most certainly don't.

With that in mind I really hope DM abandons his safety first cautious approach and just like the St Mirren game allows up to go out and have a real go at them. Hibs' weakness is their back line but if we just sit in I cannot see any result other than Hibs advancing to the next round. Having a go we could suffer a big defeat but conversely we could also dish out a hammering given their frailty especially on the left side of their defence.

Hope we go with Max Lowe from the start in this one. Consi would be horribly exposed to the lightning pace of Martin Boyle.

I'll go 3-1 Hibs if we sit in as usual. 2-2 if we decide to have a go with the game eventually being decided on penalties which we will win....

You'll get a feel of where this is going after 10 minutes. I guarantee you that they will come flying out the traps and camp us into our own half, if we withstand that pressure initially, we'll try and break them down gradually, a very similar approach to our recent league game there, which backfired needlessly  :hammer:

Lowe will definitely come in for Considine, and I reckon Gleeson will replace Ball, I don't see him going with 2 up front truth be told, so likelihood is Cosgrove will drop out for Ferguson if he's fit to revert back to a 4-2-3-1. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson being dropped, due to match fitness etc...and come on for whichever striker plays, around the hour mark.

If we went there and played our game, which is width & letting our wingers run at them, getting balls in the box etc... we'd spook them and could take advantage, but we won't, we'll manage the game as if we're 1-0 up and hope to sneak it near the end. Tomorrow night is about the mentality of the manager and how he gets that across to the players, Hibs will score if we let them play, simple as that, 90 minutes of energy, willingness and cool heads in the final 3rd would be enough to get into the Semi's.

Unfortunately, I have lost faith in McInnes with these types of games.

Hibs 3 - 1 Aberdeen  :(

Lowe will definitely come in for Considine, and I reckon Gleeson will replace Ball

You think? Based on what. I can see what Lowe offers that Considine doesn't (but I think Lowe looked a little too relaxed in his games to date, so I think McIness will stick with what he knows) but I don't see anything that Gleeson offers over Ball so far. Ball is definitely the better midfielder of the two (sadly, cause he's limited).

You think? Based on what. I can see what Lowe offers that Considine doesn't (but I think Lowe looked a little too relaxed in his games to date, so I think McIness will stick with what he knows) but I don't see anything that Gleeson offers over Ball so far. Ball is definitely the better midfielder of the two (sadly, cause he's limited).

I'm absolutely certain of the Lowe for Considine change, I reckon that was part of thinking for placing him on the bench against Motherwell, so he was peak for this game. In my opinion, Lowe will cope better with Hibs' wide players.

Gleeson for Ball, again, my thinking was based on this upcoming fixture, for me personally, there's not much difference between Ball & Gleeson, still not seeing what Gleeson is doing wrong in a few people's eyes, he's not got the engine of Shinnie, but his passing and keeping possession have been pretty good, but Ball is more combative and perhaps we'll need that in this game, or perhaps we'll need Gleeson's ability to retain possession.

I'm not saying this is what I would do, I'm saying I am fairly confident that's what the manager will do.

I'm absolutely certain of the Lowe for Considine change, I reckon that was part of thinking for placing him on the bench against Motherwell, so he was peak for this game. In my opinion, Lowe will cope better with Hibs' wide players.

Gleeson for Ball, again, my thinking was based on this upcoming fixture, for me personally, there's not much difference between Ball & Gleeson, still not seeing what Gleeson is doing wrong in a few people's eyes, he's not got the engine of Shinnie, but his passing and keeping possession have been pretty good, but Ball is more combative and perhaps we'll need that in this game, or perhaps we'll need Gleeson's ability to retain possession.

I'm not saying this is what I would do, I'm saying I am fairly confident that's what the manager will do.

Fair points. With regard to Gleeson, it's his inability to cover left to right when we don't have possession. Hovering around on the half way line looking tidy whilst playing simple passes isn't any use in our current side. Ball isn't great, but he gets stuck in at least. You could be right about Lowe, my thought is that McInnes will see his defensive side a little bit of a liability. Considine has always been decent against Hibs when we've played an orthodox back four and he's up the hoop of Boyle - Boyle has generally crapped it on those occasions. If it was me, I'd probably go Ball and Lowe, but I think the manager will go Ball and Considine, injuries not-withstanding. It'll be interesting. 

Gleeson for Ball, again, my thinking was based on this upcoming fixture, for me personally, there's not much difference between Ball & Gleeson, still not seeing what Gleeson is doing wrong in a few people's eyes,

The problem I think most of us have with Gleeson is that whilst there's no doubt he can play passes and keep possession better than Ball, he is just too slow and immobile to play the defensive midfield role and that he just looks overweight (in a similar fashion to Greg Stewart last season).He isn't particularly good at making challenges either. Coupled with this.....and I believe what I've said is the root cause.....he runs out of gas after an hour necessitating McInnes to always have to sub him. This limits our options and though it hasnt happened yet, the day will come when we start him and then suffer a couple of first half injuries that require substitutions. That leaves us with him coming off after an hour and praying no one else suffers an injury in the remaining time.

Ball, whilst limited and not particularly quick, does at least go the full 90 minutes and no one could ever accuse him of being soft in the challenge.

I agree with both of your points, I still think Gleeson will become a key player for us, he does do what Jack did, albeit perhaps not as mobile. I think he only played 5 times from the bench last season? I could be well off there, but fairly sure he never played much, which could explain his running out of steam ( Probably similar to G Stewart? )

I like Ball, I think we all seen the player he was capable of being at the tail end of last season, and I'd have absolutely no problem with him being a main CDM for us, but I feel like Gleeson has the experience & will become more mobile once he's up to full speed. Both players will have their uses in certain fixtures, against Hibs tomorrow, we'll have Shinnie's combative style and drive, so maybe Gleeson will get the nod for composure's sake? We need to keep the ball tomorrow night.

Rico, regarding Consi & Lowe, that's the only one I am 100% positive on, Lowe will start, I am not saying it's what I would do, I must stress that again, I just think McInnes will opt for Lowe's pace and mobility. I am a Considine fan, never hid that, always been impressed with how he continually adapts his game & physique.

Anyway, the real conundrum comes when Tansey is match fit. He walks back into our midfield.

:rofl:

Well the sheep are back again with their boring, negative anti-football approach of score a goal then time waste and defend the rest of the game. A hibs fans view on our fixture tomorrow night.

Fair assessment or bell-end?

Fair assessment.  Not an uncommon view among opposition fans.

All I am seeing on Social Media is negativity from Dons fans regarding this game tonight. By all accounts the Aberdeen players seem to be up for it and are looking forward to the semi-finals after beating Hibs. Aberdeen fans should be of the same opinion.

We have a 50/50 chance of going through and fully expect we will come out on top tonight.  :thumbsup:

Don’t like to change a winning team but I don’t think team we played on Saturday will work tonight. We will need to be able to hold onto the ball. Would be tempted to bring Gleeson in for Ball. As others have said he holds on to ball well and seems to be able to pick a pass where as Ball for all his effort can’t. If Ferguson is fit would go for the extra body in midfield and drop Cosgrove which would also help us retain possession. Hibs fans are right in saying we will probably try and shitfest our way to a 1-0 win.

In

Flat then 2 minute stroll to ground

Away end

Flat

2-0 Hibs

Don’t like to change a winning team but I don’t think team we played on Saturday will work tonight. We will need to be able to hold onto the ball. Would be tempted to bring Gleeson in for Ball. As others have said he holds on to ball well and seems to be able to pick a pass where as Ball for all his effort can’t. If Ferguson is fit would go for the extra body in midfield and drop Cosgrove which would also help us retain possession. Hibs fans are right in saying we will probably try and shitfest our way to a 1-0 win.

We're a poorer team than we were last season based on performances to date. A shitfest 1-0 win would be excellent and testament to our ability to get something when not at our best. Our best performance was probably the draw away to Burnley, where we scrapped for everything in a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 type setup. Ferguson made a big difference in those games as he was able to hold onto the ball. Both Hoban and Ball did the dirty stuff quite well too with Cosgrove allowing us to play high up the park (whether he was good or not - and I thought he was excellent in the home leg - is largely irrelevant, because they still needed to drop a midfielder back to cope with him, which took up another resource). Unfortunately, I don't think Ferguson will be fit and I think we'll struggle with Ball or Gleeson. Perhaps Campbell could come in to make up the midfield 3? Nae sure he's ready, but I'd feel more comfortable with a 5 than going 4-4-2 against a team that can score goals.