Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Away Goals Rule

SeeBass

Probably something to do with big teams or some such. The good thing about away goals is that it lessens the need for extra time on an away trip. Our recent trip to Burnley aside, there is a significantly reduced chance of a team playing until 22:30 on a Thurdsay night in Kazakhstan or somewhere, so it is definitely beneficial in the earlier rounds. They should just change it in the post-group-stage rounds, because I assume those teams are who actually want the rule changed.

It should be scrapped imo, out of date.  Jonathon Wilson explains the why here if you world care to take a wee look Seebassit https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/13/the-question-football-away-goals

Don’t see how it’s out of date and article is written from biased point of view. Cannot see how taking it away will change much. At best all the will happen is the reverse of what the article claims happens now and teams will sit away from home and be happy with 0-0 there instead of home.

Why do authorities feel the constant need to tinker with the game.

If you don't see how it's out of date you didn't read the article very well.  The point is it's far easier to travel and with modern football practices and coverage playing away in europe is no real hardship anymore. I.e. Away goals are outdated.

Except it is in the qualifying rounds of europe, which occur before the season even starts in many cases. I haven't read the article, but I cna guarantee it was written from the point of view of the bigger teams in the later rounds. Away goals help reduce the number of extra times, and that is a big thing in these early rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it should be scrapped too , and replaced by "last goal the winner" if the scores are level on aggregate

In the event of a tie at the end of 90 minutes in the second leg , whichever team scored the last goal , even if that was in the first leg ,goes through. If both games were goalless , then 30 mins extra time , then pens if necessary

I think this would keep ties "alive" more than the current away goals rule...eg when we played Real Sociedad a few years ago we lost the first leg 2-0 , but were leading 2-1 in the second leg. At that point , just one more goal for us under my ingenious last goal rule, would have seen us going through , whereas we needed two more goals under the away goals rule.

I've seen a fair few wins in extra time.

Away goals rule was put in place to try and stop the away team just packing their box with defenders.

It works very well at that and brings something different to European games.

Doesn't affect those in group stages anyway.

Leave well alone.

Edit: The golden goal rule was absolutely shite.

• 2 weeks later...