Author Topic: Stevie May .......... Derek ...... over to you  (Read 254 times)

Offline BigDan

• Under 16's
  • Rating: 0
Stevie May .......... Derek ...... over to you
« on: September 16, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »
It seemed like a great signing - We'd seen him bursting clear for St Johnstone and firing in to the net. That seems a long time ago. It is clear that for whatever reason he hasn't got it any more and it's fast becoming calamitous having a passenger in that position. Derek paid £400K (a lot of course for Aberdeen). Derek new the player he used to be - he now knows the player he is now. Honest mistake by Derek which can be forgiven. What cannot be forgiven is not putting your hand up and admitting the mistake. It's reached the stage that (no matter how difficult for Derek) he has to put his hand up. Fortunately, there are a couple of young players in the wings that could do the job at least in the short term. It's difficult, all the fans (including me) wanted Stevie to do well. Most of the sensible fans can see it simply isn't gong to happen for Stevie at Pittodrie (basically not good enough in any position). Derek .............. over to you.

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 20
Re: Stevie May .......... Derek ...... over to you
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 08:25:39 AM »
It seemed like a great signing - We'd seen him bursting clear for St Johnstone and firing in to the net. That seems a long time ago. It is clear that for whatever reason he hasn't got it any more and it's fast becoming calamitous having a passenger in that position. Derek paid £400K (a lot of course for Aberdeen). Derek new the player he used to be - he now knows the player he is now. Honest mistake by Derek which can be forgiven. What cannot be forgiven is not putting your hand up and admitting the mistake. It's reached the stage that (no matter how difficult for Derek) he has to put his hand up. Fortunately, there are a couple of young players in the wings that could do the job at least in the short term. It's difficult, all the fans (including me) wanted Stevie to do well. Most of the sensible fans can see it simply isn't gong to happen for Stevie at Pittodrie (basically not good enough in any position). Derek .............. over to you.

I think biggest problem with May is we do not play a system that suits his style of play. His best stuff at Saints came when he played as part of a front 2 with Steven MacLean. We have rarely played him up front with anyone beside him and definitely not long enough for a partnership to develop. He has never looked good in the lone striker role. He was never a back to the goal type of striker and that you could knock the ball upto but that is what we have asked him to do.

That said I do think the injury at Preston has caused him to lose some of his pace which was also part of his game and thought at the time a 4 year deal was a major gamble to take on a player with his type of injury.

Offline Ten Caat

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 36
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 08:48:19 AM »
Sad fact is we are stuck with him for at least another half season though with his injury record and lack of effectiveness (and comparatively high wages for Scotland) it is difficult to envisage any other team wanting to take a gamble on him

Jute is definitely correct that he would be far more effective as part of a front 2 but McInnes seems dead set on playing his 4-2-3-1 system which we know just doesn't suit May's game. Earlier in the season our injuries forced a 3-5-2 system and it looked decent but injuries to Hoban and McKenna coupled with the signing of Lowe pushed us back to the old system. I think we will improve a bit but the league is already a write off, we will be doing well to finish 4th given the lead we have allowed Hearts to gain and Hibs' summer recruitment just looks to be a bit better than ours was.

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 8
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 12:47:23 PM »
The guy has had plenty of opportunities now. Think his return is 5 goals in 30+ games, and 2 of them came in the same game I think.

I was fairly happy when he signed, I remember how good and useful he was for St Johnstone, but pretty sure that was beside Steven MacLean, so perhaps he can still be useful, but the fact we don't play 2 up front means he can't be our main Striker, I certainly don't buy into the whole " He's not getting the service " tripe, because we're still putting plenty of balls into the box from GMS & McGinn as well as set pieces, he's just too slow to react, polar opposite from Rooney in that regard, and does not look like a Striker who believes in himself when presented with a chance to shoot etc...

Our season quite simply now rides on James Wilson, if he's as useless as May in the lone Striker role, then we're in for a turgid season, if he's good, we might scrape a 4th place finish with a bit of luck.

I think when everyone is fully fit, we have a solid defence & good enough midfield, May, nor Cosgrove, are the answer up front though, over to you....James Wilson.
Fuck the Tories