Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Beating Anxiety and Depression

SeeBass

What about writing from the viewpoint of Aberdeen having helped you out of a particularly anxious or depressing period?  Or maybe about how they've contributed to you feeling that way in the first place?

Obviously you have to travel a fair distance to get to Pittodrie, so once you've arranged your transport to Aberdeen, the thought of getting to the game has been the thing which has kept you going - kept you positive and upbeat?

Walk along the length of Hadrian's Wall shouting abuse at Brexitland.

This "advice" is both good and bad. Yin and yang.

It is good to walk the length of where Hadrian's wall used to be, still patent in parts.

Shouting abuse however, to an audience of mostly English sheep, is stress-inducing.

I suggest that you don't shout but you think instead.

Think about how a nation like us cos teen over by cunts like them and how 300 years later, we still haven't had the balls to ditch the fuckers.

Think about those people in the North East who returned Tories in the last election.

Think about how the majority of Scots, infused with, and diluted by the guffies amongst us, voted against independence.

Think about all the lies we've been told over the decades and centuries.

Think about the proportion of war dead between the English, the Scots, the Anzacs, the Burmese, the West Indians, the Canadians and everybody else in the "commonwealth" and compare those numbers to the actual populations.

Think about the injustices in "British history", one of which comes out in film soon with the event preceding Bloody Sunday.

Think about the great Scotspeople who have made significant contributions to the world.

Think about the Union Jack and how it's been hijacked by the huns.

Think about Irvine Welsh's line, so brilliantly articulated by Ewen McGregor about how shite it is to be Scottish.

And then think how even more shite it would have been to have grown up on that side of the wall.

• 1 month later...

For some reason I’ve been really struggling with depression the last few weeks.

No reason for it as far as I can see, I like my job, my girls are good, no financial or health issues, it’s just when I have time on my own I seem to default to depression, withdrawing from things and completely lack enthusiasm.

It’s a bastard of a thing but I least I’m not back drinking.

For some reason I’ve been really struggling with depression the last few weeks.

No reason for it as far as I can see, I like my job, my girls are good, no financial or health issues, it’s just when I have time on my own I seem to default to depression, withdrawing from things and completely lack enthusiasm.

It’s a bastard of a thing but I least I’m not back drinking.

Avoid the fitba threads on here then, they'll send you into freefall. Make sure you're eating well and getting some fresh air and all that. Could indeed be the change in seasons.

MBT,

The Wheel of Life.

Can't remember where I came across this but it's brilliant for two reasons; it's simple and it's true. Imagine a circle dissected into six equal portions. Like a pie or the trivial pursuits counter. These represent (in no particular order): -

PHYSICAL health

MENTAL health

FAMILY

SOCIAL

MONEY

SPIRITUAL health

The theory goes that we need to look after all six areas and if we neglect any one of them, our "wheel" would be bumping down the long road that is life. It's therefore about balance and being aware of the main drivers. There was a corny axle in the middle which he called a "Relaxle" so I can recall that this theory was from a male but the context and source escapes me.

That's some good advice about fresh air. Whilst the outdoors is good for improving mental health, I reckon by focusing on the physical health aspect, strengthening that will help your overall wheel. Some ACTION is required and since you are lucky enough to have Family, Social and Finance in order, there's not much else left to focus on to redress the balance and help your overall being. Try something new is also excellent advice right now. Get out of your head and in to your body.

Spiritual health is probably the most difficult one to articulate but for me, being comfortable in my agnosticism and not being cruel to animals and respecting nature seems to cover that segment.

Edit: Diet is also great advice. This improves the physical health aspect too. Avoid ALL processed foods. They're pure evil. It takes a wee bit of effort to prepare good meals but a change in nutrition can work wonders.

See I'm all sorted for Hibernian at Home on Friday 9th of November but am already talking myself out of three and a half hour train up that morning.

Hey try not to think about it too much just now, just see how you feel nearer the time. If you can make it great, if not don't sweat about it.

Try reading Matt Haig - he's tremendous  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Truly horrible problem. Have dealt, or tried to deal, with depression for several years. It comes and goes like you wouldn't believe, and has adverse affects at home in your personal life. I have 2 young kids, most days they are enough to keep me going, some days they're not. I actually struggle a lot parenting, I am far from a good father, I just try and make sure they understand that I love them, I genuinely regret bringing them into the world, I appreciate that may seem dramatic, but it's a genuine issue I struggle to cope with, I knew I was struggling when I had my first and in hindsight, I should have sought the help I needed first, but you try to be normal, get a job, provide and put everything behind you. Which worked for a little while, then it sets back in, only worse.

I have had help from every source available, and personally, none of that has worked, I feel literally consumed with so much self loathing, self pity, sheer sadness and a horrible feeling sometimes that I just want to literally give up and shut down. I half arsed an attempt on my life not long after my Son was born 4 years ago, something that resulted in something I couldn't put my partner and kids through ever again, but that doesn't not stop the feelings I mentioned earlier there. You have to suck it up, take each day as it comes & make the most of the days where you feel that people can tolerate you, the other days, just recluse yourself & stay within your own head, that is how I have tackled it these past few years and to an extent, it has worked, although I only felt comfortable writing in this thread as I am currently not feeling great about myself, I am not overly shy in opening up about it, keeping it bottled up only made me take it out on those closest to me, which in turn isn't healthy for them, my Missus has slowly but surely started to be more understanding and she tries her best, but she doesn't have the capacity to fix things, sometimes she just makes them worse, but who am I to expect her to understand this complex situation better than professionals?

I apologise for boring you, but this is how I cope & thought I should share, it's a horrible, horrible problem that I really wish there was an easy solution for, but there isn't. Take everything that everyone on here has said, on board, and see what works for you, when you find that, practice it as much as you possible can. Hope it works out for you both MBT & SeeBass, and of course anyone else on here who is looking in but doesn't feel comfortable sharing their experiences.

I've suffered from depression and anxiety for years. Ended up going to see the Doc about it after things got too much. I ended up being diagnosed with bipolar. This way back in 2011 when I was 39. I'm now on a fuck load of medication, but It has helped me no end. Some days are still bad, but more manageable than they were. I still see a psychiatrist and a phycologist every few months, which will always be ongoing. But if I had not gone for help I would have been fucked. There is no shame in asking for help.  :wave:

Decided I'm not coming up Friday evening.  Given the unpredictability of us at the moment I can't risk a poor performance knowing I'd have to stay over til lunchtime Saturday then endure three and a half hours on train home. Wanna publicly thank London North Eastern Railway for refunding our advance train ticket though. Maybe £46.20 ain't a massive amount but their understanding is so very much appreciated.  Believe another factor where decision is based does stem from how boring Scottish League has become past 27 years.  I've seen Aberdeen versus Hibernian enough during said lifetime!!!  One will sadly require variety sooner rather than later.     

Decided I'm not coming up Friday evening.  Given the unpredictability of us at the moment I can't risk a poor performance knowing I'd have to stay over til lunchtime Saturday then endure three and a half hours on train home. Wanna publicly thank London North Eastern Railway for refunding our advance train ticket though. Maybe £46.20 ain't a massive amount but their understanding is so very much appreciated.  Believe another factor where decision is based does stem from how boring Scottish League has become past 27 years. I've seen Aberdeen versus Hibernian enough during said lifetime!!!  One will sadly require variety sooner rather than later.   

I think there have been some really good games between the 2 teams of recent years SeeBass, a few draws as well, but with 3 wins on the bounce, and Hibs having not won in their last 3, there should be reason for optimism!

In terms of variety, well you know that's unlikely to change I am afraid, as much as the majority of us would like it to change.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Decided I'm not coming up Friday evening.  Given the unpredictability of us at the moment I can't risk a poor performance knowing I'd have to stay over til lunchtime Saturday then endure three and a half hours on train home. Wanna publicly thank London North Eastern Railway for refunding our advance train ticket though. Maybe £46.20 ain't a massive amount but their understanding is so very much appreciated.  Believe another factor where decision is based does stem from how boring Scottish League has become past 27 years.  I've seen Aberdeen versus Hibernian enough during said lifetime!!!  One will sadly require variety sooner rather than later.   

You should get yourself along to one of your local teams on Saturday, Seabass.  Means less travelling and something a bit different for you.  Might even spot a hidden gem that you could recommend to DM for our team!