Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Is playing European football worth the effort for Scottish teams.

Lencarl

With the amount of games that our clubs have to play just to reach the Group stages of European Football I wonder why we bother knowing we will never reach any Final again. Does it pay for the clubs to compete in a few European games especially to the likes of far off places like Russia as an example.

My thoughts are a new cup competition featuring Scottish and English teams playing home and away for the chance to win a British Cup.

Would work out cheaper for the clubs and judging by our games against Burnley should go down well with fans.

Yes worth it but not in terms of progress in Europe. It’s competitive preseason games which I think has had us better prepared for our league season. While I don’t know specifics, pretty certain we benefit financially despite the cost of travel etc to far off places.

We usually get at least 15k in for Euro games and sell out for a biggish name. Allowing for concessions etc lets say we average £20 per seat sold (probably is more than this but lets assume worst case)....thats £300k min plus any TV rights etc. So possibly near £350k all in. £450k for a sell out.

Chartering a plane costs roughly £30k-£50k depending on size plus fuel costs (Which will at least double that figure. The further you go the more you pay. Kazakhstan is worst case scenario....will probably quadruple the fuel cost) so anything between £60k and £150k. Hotel costs on top say £10k. Of course if its a biggish plane you can sell some seats to mitigate some of the costs.

So yes Europe is financially well worth the effort. And as said before it is a useful exercise in getting the team up to speed for the domestic season. Getting through 2 or 3 rounds is great. Getting to the group stages is the Holy Grail for clubs our size. £3million guaranteed plus gates. Its a bastard that sevco look like they'll get to that stage.

It pays for the dons. It may not if you're St Johnstone or someone who's crowds might not mitigate travel costs. It was the difference in us finishing second every year and not as we were able to outspend everyone else in wages. It will be the difference between us and the huns finishing second for the foreseeable future (they'll get €3.26M if they reach the group stages in prize money alone).

From UEFA for 2018:

Qualifying & Playoffs €215,000 for first qualifying round, €225,000 for second qualifying round, €220,00 for third and €235,000 for play-off losing teams who won’t qualify for group stages

Participation Bonus €2.6 million (Guaranteed) for each 40 teams who play in the group stages

Performance Bonus  €360,000 for every win & €120,000 for a draw

Group Stage Bonus €600,000 to group winners and €300,000 for group runnerups

Round of 32 €500,000 for each of the 32 teams

Round of 16 €750,000 for each of the 16 teams

Quarter-Finals €1 million for each of the 8 teams

Semifinals  €1.5 million for each of the four semifinalists

Runnersup €3.5 million for runners-up team

Winners  €6.5 million for winners

Good points above.

Ignoring the corruption in Euro fitba competition for now ::) it's a welcome change of scene from Dumbarton in the league cup.We could have set ourselves up a bit financially, if we'd taken our chances the last few years.

On the whole,enjoyed all the euro games of recent years

Yes worth it but not in terms of progress in Europe. It’s competitive preseason games which I think has had us better prepared for our league season. While I don’t know specifics, pretty certain we benefit financially despite the cost of travel etc to far off places.

You are me.

Been saying for a number of years, play the qualifiers, it's better than pissing around to Brechin or Hull, and then be out in time for the season starting.

https://www.givemesport.com/1372426-its-the-end-of-football-as-we-know-it-just-ask-celtic-and-arsenal?amp&__twitter_impression=true