Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dundee V Aberdeen

We usually fight back from a draw or defeat with a good run of victories. A win for us is on the cards despite a few injuries to contend with. Hoping a couple of new players arrive before Saturday

RED TV International is covering this match to viewers outside the UK

Dundee 0 Aberdeen 2  :thumbsup:

PS

A scan has revealed that Dons and Scotland defender Scott McKenna is expected to be out for approximately six weeks after picking up a hamstring injury in Sunday’s SPFL Premiership draw with Rangers at Pittodrie. The 21 year old will miss a number of crucial games including the Betfred Cup meeting with St. Mirren and the league visit to face Hibs at Easter Road.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logan still suspended. McKenna out. Guessing Hoban will be back though?

If there's no new signings before Saturday, I'd go with...

Lewis

Hoban Devlin Considine Shinnie

Ball Gleeson

McGinn Ferguson Mackay-Steven

Cosgrove

It's all gone worryingly silent on the Hoban situation. Hopefully I'm pishing my pants over nothing but I'm wondering if he has been sent down to Watford for their medical crew to take a look before anything is announced?

Even if he is fit I'd still like to see Harrington get a start. It's pretty much the ideal game to do it in and with this being Logan's final year of his contract we have to start looking at alternatives in case he doesn't sign a new one.....remember last time his contract was running down it looked like he was offski only at the very last minute to have a u-turn and sign a new deal.

I'd also like to see us try Cosgrove alongside May up top going 4-4-2 with Gleeson on the bench. Again this game along with St Boo next up are the ideal time to see if they work. If not we can then start saying they aint fit for purpose and maybe (try to) move one of them out

It's all gone worryingly silent on the Hoban situation. Hopefully I'm pishing my pants over nothing but I'm wondering if he has been sent down to Watford for their medical crew to take a look before anything is announced?

Even if he is fit I'd still like to see Harrington get a start. It's pretty much the ideal game to do it in and with this being Logan's final year of his contract we have to start looking at alternatives in case he doesn't sign a new one.....remember last time his contract was running down it looked like he was offski only at the very last minute to have a u-turn and sign a new deal.

I'd also like to see us try Cosgrove alongside May up top going 4-4-2 with Gleeson on the bench. Again this game along with St Boo next up are the ideal time to see if they work. If not we can then start saying they aint fit for purpose and maybe (try to) move one of them out

Not necessarily having a dig at you in particular as I've seen this said a few times, but why is any meaningful league game the right time to be trying new players and formations? If McInnes sent the team out with Harrington and right back and May up front with Cosgrove, and we don't win, he'd be absolutely crucified. We don't know yet how good or bad Dundee or St Mirren will be this season and we neeed points on the board, let alone actually trying to win the league cup so it should be the strongest team possible on both occasions. Playing Harrington at right back might be the best option but if McInnes doesn't think so then he shouldn't be experimenting in either of the next two games.

Not at all....Anderson could well become a first pick fairly soon especially if we don't get another striker in. Just think we have to try Cosgrove/May as a partnership before finally writing them off.

FWIW i think Campbell will become a first pick before the end of the season probably ousting Gleeson.

I thought Anderson turned the game for us when he came on,  all of a sudden their defence found themselves looking at their own goal.  Also re Anderson, he's got a fair jump on him.  People always assume smaller players will be shite in the air but he was winning headers against much bigger defenders.  He'll defo play some part against Dundee.

Meant to be up Ullapool way,but if the forecast remains the same,a trip to Dens instead.

4-4-2 for me.W

This line up winna happen but...

Lewis

Harrington Devlin Consi Shinnie

GMS Ferguson Forrester Wright

Anderson McGinn

Hoban to L/b* if fit > Shinnie instead of Forrester

*assuming he can play L/b?      4 - 1 Dons. 

All of this crazy talk about mixing it up. We just got knocked out of Europe and were shite against rangers. McInnes will be playing his strongest team possible. However, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 4-4-2 for this game

Lewis

Ball-Devlin-Considine-Shinnie

McGinn-Gleeson-Ferguson-GMS

Cosgrove-May

A little light in midfield so if Hoban is fit I exspect him at left back and Shinnie replacing Gleeson in midfield.

Surprised people are concerned with Gleeson. Picked up an injury preseason and finding his feet. Give him a break. Anderson is young and full of confidence but a starting spot is unlikely. More likely proved to DM he’s the first striker off the bench but DM hasn’t written off May or cosgrove.

If we were shite against Rangers,whats crazy about mixing it up? When do we ever mix it up,to know if its the wrong thing to do?

Motherwell semi final, we injected Ball into right back, Nwakali into midfield and the speedy Adam Rooney onto the wing. That threw them.

If we were shite against Rangers,whats crazy about mixing it up? When do we ever mix it up,to know if its the wrong thing to do?

My point is that we know what McInnes is like. He’s not a risk taker. He’ll field the same old line up, strongest possible in his mind, and most likely same formation, especially since he’s under a little pressure to get a result. Do you really expect Harrington and or Anderson to start against Dundee?

Like i said,it winna happen, but if Anderson offered more against Rangers than our other strikers,its a no brainer to start him v 'Dee.I partnered him with McGinn because of his experience,(and because I think he's a better striker than our strikers)

Harringtons a bigger risk,but bigger than Ball at R/B? am nae so sure,and this is one of the few type of games we can use to find out.

All better done if the rest of the line up was more settled,but go for it,its a newish line up,and this is the time of season to try things out

My point is that we know what McInnes is like. He’s not a risk taker. He’ll field the same old line up, strongest possible in his mind, and most likely same formation, especially since he’s under a little pressure to get a result. Do you really expect Harrington and or Anderson to start against Dundee?

Have to agree with you. McInnes will stick with his usual line up for the game. He never likes changes unless he is forced to do so. In some cases this is the correct thing to do but unless he gives young players the chance in the first team we will never know how good they are and Dundee is the perfect place to play a couple of them.

Is it really that much of a risk to start a youngster in his position? If it is what is the point in having a yoth system? Theres never been a conveinient time to give youngsters starts over the past few seasons so we might as well give them a shot now. If we start Bruce Anderson and he gets another goal it will relieve the pressure for derek to bring in a new striker (not that im saying we shouldnt). Harrington might be a revelation and could save us bringing in some gash journeyman to back up the rb position but we wont know if Mcinnes doesnt give them a run out.

Is it really that much of a risk to start a youngster in his position? If it is what is the point in having a yoth system? Theres never been a conveinient time to give youngsters starts over the past few seasons so we might as well give them a shot now. If we start Bruce Anderson and he gets another goal it will relieve the pressure for derek to bring in a new striker (not that im saying we shouldnt). Harrington might be a revelation and could save us bringing in some gash journeyman to back up the rb position but we wont know if Mcinnes doesnt give them a run out.

The risks are that we lose the game, or the youngster isn't ready and it effects his confidence for a while if he has a poor game. We need to go with our best available team as we really need to win to get off to the best start this season. We can't afford to lose a single game against a bottom 6 team if we are to finish second. Being "early in the season" makes no difference when losing three points.

The problem is that we're not nearly at full strength. I like youngsters getting an opportunity, but that opportuntity - for me - should happen when we're playing confidently with our best team to give the youngster the best possible support and the best possible chance of success. Wright coming on for McGinn or GMS in far more games would be an obvious one. I think that our half arsed midfield from Sunday - worse so if Shinnie is at left back - would offer zero support for Anderson and I'm not sure that'd be beneficial to him in anyway. There were so many players (in midfield) in that team on Sunday who were still finding their own feet, it'd be harsh to bring a youngster into that.

That said, I think that if we get a decent left back in before the weekend there would be good reason to play them both. Playing Harrington would allow Ball into midfield and thus Shinnie and Ferguson a lot more freedom to get up and down the park and support the striker(s). If we have Ball at right back and Gleeson in midfield then I think we should forget Anderson too. Gleeson is very much still finding his feet and he clearly doesn't have the coverage to allow others in midfield to support the striker without leaving gaping holes (very evident on Sunday and against Burnley). In that regard, we'd probably be better with Cosgrove to allow the game to be played higher up the park. If we don't get a left back in and Shinnie has to play there, then we might as well not bother with a midfield and play Cosgrove, May and Anderson.

My point is that we know what McInnes is like. He’s not a risk taker.

Brilliantly articulated. That's the principal reason why I can't stand the man.

People who play it safe and never see the boundaries of possibility far less try to go beyond them never achieve anything. My instinct has always been repelled by him and I knew we were total opposites. I just never fully appreciated why until your two simple words. Risk taking is necessary for progress. Making mistakes is good in the first decades of life. It's how we learn. He's been cowed by the prevailing culture, ergo he's a fud.

Brilliantly articulated. That's the principal reason why I can't stand the man.

People who play it safe and never see the boundaries of possibility far less try to go beyond them never achieve anything. My instinct has always been repelled by him and I knew we were total opposites. I just never fully appreciated why until your two simple words. Risk taking is necessary for progress. Making mistakes is good in the first decades of life. It's how we learn. He's been cowed by the prevailing culture, ergo he's a fud.

When McInnes fails, he fails for playing it safe. The same tactics against the old firm, the same type of players in the transfer market, the same tactics regardless of player playing, case and point currently valid with Cosgrove and May. He plays it safe bringing Ball back. Christie back. McGinn back. Did we really try to resign an average at best Anthony OConnor? McKenna was only given a chance when we were desperate after a shambolic performance and defeat. Maybe we gamble on shankland, or we go for burns, Storey, and Maynard.

We’re sitting waiting on players - will we gamble on a Dutch unknown like ferne snoyl, maybe we gamble on Stevie Mallan? What about trying for Jamie Maclaren? Or do we end up with another Wes burns, Nicky Maynard, Sam Cosgrove, callum Morris? I’m not holding my breath. Are we still waiting for Moult, holding out despite Moult currently being Preston’s only fit forward? Time will tell.