Author Topic: Dundee V Aberdeen  (Read 3208 times)

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 66
Re: Dundee V Aberdeen
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 10:31:29 AM »
Is it really that much of a risk to start a youngster in his position? If it is what is the point in having a yoth system? Theres never been a conveinient time to give youngsters starts over the past few seasons so we might as well give them a shot now. If we start Bruce Anderson and he gets another goal it will relieve the pressure for derek to bring in a new striker (not that im saying we shouldnt). Harrington might be a revelation and could save us bringing in some gash journeyman to back up the rb position but we wont know if Mcinnes doesnt give them a run out.

The risks are that we lose the game, or the youngster isn't ready and it effects his confidence for a while if he has a poor game. We need to go with our best available team as we really need to win to get off to the best start this season. We can't afford to lose a single game against a bottom 6 team if we are to finish second. Being "early in the season" makes no difference when losing three points.

The problem is that we're not nearly at full strength. I like youngsters getting an opportunity, but that opportuntity - for me - should happen when we're playing confidently with our best team to give the youngster the best possible support and the best possible chance of success. Wright coming on for McGinn or GMS in far more games would be an obvious one. I think that our half arsed midfield from Sunday - worse so if Shinnie is at left back - would offer zero support for Anderson and I'm not sure that'd be beneficial to him in anyway. There were so many players (in midfield) in that team on Sunday who were still finding their own feet, it'd be harsh to bring a youngster into that.

That said, I think that if we get a decent left back in before the weekend there would be good reason to play them both. Playing Harrington would allow Ball into midfield and thus Shinnie and Ferguson a lot more freedom to get up and down the park and support the striker(s). If we have Ball at right back and Gleeson in midfield then I think we should forget Anderson too. Gleeson is very much still finding his feet and he clearly doesn't have the coverage to allow others in midfield to support the striker without leaving gaping holes (very evident on Sunday and against Burnley). In that regard, we'd probably be better with Cosgrove to allow the game to be played higher up the park. If we don't get a left back in and Shinnie has to play there, then we might as well not bother with a midfield and play Cosgrove, May and Anderson.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -142
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 11:08:51 AM »
My point is that we know what McInnes is like. He’s not a risk taker.

Brilliantly articulated. That's the principal reason why I can't stand the man.

People who play it safe and never see the boundaries of possibility far less try to go beyond them never achieve anything. My instinct has always been repelled by him and I knew we were total opposites. I just never fully appreciated why until your two simple words. Risk taking is necessary for progress. Making mistakes is good in the first decades of life. It's how we learn. He's been cowed by the prevailing culture, ergo he's a fud.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Online Jussi

• Under 16's
  • Rating: 0
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »
Anderson in from the start

Maybe he can inspire our insipid bunch to start playing as they should

Offline LA-Don

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
Brilliantly articulated. That's the principal reason why I can't stand the man.

People who play it safe and never see the boundaries of possibility far less try to go beyond them never achieve anything. My instinct has always been repelled by him and I knew we were total opposites. I just never fully appreciated why until your two simple words. Risk taking is necessary for progress. Making mistakes is good in the first decades of life. It's how we learn. He's been cowed by the prevailing culture, ergo he's a fud.

When McInnes fails, he fails for playing it safe. The same tactics against the old firm, the same type of players in the transfer market, the same tactics regardless of player playing, case and point currently valid with Cosgrove and May. He plays it safe bringing Ball back. Christie back. McGinn back. Did we really try to resign an average at best Anthony OConnor? McKenna was only given a chance when we were desperate after a shambolic performance and defeat. Maybe we gamble on shankland, or we go for burns, Storey, and Maynard.

We’re sitting waiting on players - will we gamble on a Dutch unknown like ferne snoyl, maybe we gamble on Stevie Mallan? What about trying for Jamie Maclaren? Or do we end up with another Wes burns, Nicky Maynard, Sam Cosgrove, callum Morris? I’m not holding my breath. Are we still waiting for Moult, holding out despite Moult currently being Preston’s only fit forward? Time will tell.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 08:55:21 PM »
Snoyl was a JC signing so I'm not sure how that fits in. I'm agreeing with your point but use the correct examples eh  ;) dm doesn't do foreign.

Offline LA-Don

• First Team Regular
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 09:22:22 PM »
Snoyl was a JC signing so I'm not sure how that fits in. I'm agreeing with your point but use the correct examples eh  ;) dm doesn't do foreign.

Exactry, a JC foreign loan signing who was quality. We’ll not see that, too risky.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 09:45:05 PM »
Exactry, a JC foreign loan signing who was quality. We’ll not see that, too risky.

It made me look him up though, been plying his trade at ujpest in Hungary. DD you see him play at all?

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 30
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 09:52:49 PM »

Quality is a very strong word.
12 years is a long time in football but as I recall he had a couple of good matches (Vs Romanovs mercenaries and the tax dodgers) then pretty much settled back to the usual Standard of the time. Don't recall much fuss when his loan wasn't extended and according to wikipedia he actually quit football for good about 6 years after leaving the dons (in his mid 20s)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:05:56 PM by tom_widdows »
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

Offline LA-Don

• First Team Regular
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 10:30:57 PM »
Quality is a very strong word.
12 years is a long time in football but as I recall he had a couple of good matches (Vs Romanovs mercenaries and the tax dodgers) then pretty much settled back to the usual Standard of the time. Don't recall much fuss when his loan wasn't extended and according to wikipedia he actually quit football for good about 6 years after leaving the dons (in his mid 20s)

This is how I remembered it, cultured player we tried to sign permanently but couldn't afford him. I'd take a left back like him now in a heartbeat!

Date: 22nd February 2007 at 11:25pm
Written by: Cole Thomson
Ferne Snoyl has said that he has gone from the tidy, passing, neat player who arrived at Pittodrie to one of the hardest men in the Dutch league when he returned back to his homeland.

Jimmy Calderwood brought Ferne to the club last season on loan from Feyenoord after a tip off from a source in Holland and wanted to keep the Dutchman after he impressed during his time at Pittodrie. Ferne returned back to his homeland because the clubs couldn`t agree personal terms and he now plays for NEC Nijmegen, a club Calderwood once managed.

Ferne has spoken out about his time in Scotland and admits he wouldn`t have missed it for the world despite now picking up too many yellow cards for his over exuberant tackling and the refs asking if he thinks he`s still in Scotland.

The 21 year old gave his personal views on Scottish football and despite insisting the experience was good for him, he was not particularly complimentary.

He said “The manner of play is completely different now I`m back home to what it was at Aberdeen”.

“The workrate and the physical power in the football in Scotland is from another dimension”.

He then went on to say that “Celtic are the only team who play really good football while with the rest of the teams it`s all about muscles”.

Nonsense Ferne, there are plenty of teams in Scotland who can`t play good football and haven`t got any muscle either.

Offline Ramperbamper

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 1
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 10:59:31 PM »
Dear fuck I hated Calderwood and his pish.

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 05:11:59 AM »
McInnes said on REDTV that Hoban is out for a month! McKenna also at the very least a month, Reynolds long term and still no Logan for the next 2 games. Can't see anything other than a back 4 of Ball Devlin Considine Shinnie.
Fuck the Tories

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 114
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
The way I recall it we couldn't sign Snoyl because there was a fee involved (and we didn't pay fees for a good decade or so) and the next thing I heard Snoyl had been released and ended up at Nijmegen.  :wave:

It's still being said a lot that we should look abroad because "other clubs manage". Please to be advising of some recent success stories from other clubs unearthing foreign diamonds?

McInnes goes for players with experience of the British leagues and as a result has a better team spirit (IMO) than clubs like Hearts.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -111
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »
thats pretty narrow mindset ? johnny foreigner cannot be in my team as we will have less of a team spirit.... if that is his view then he is thicker and more one dimensional than I first thought
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline Obanred

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 14
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
McInnes said on REDTV that Hoban is out for a month! McKenna also at the very least a month, Reynolds long term and still no Logan for the next 2 games. Can't see anything other than a back 4 of Ball Devlin Considine Shinnie.
Harrington at RB instead of Ball. Play Ball in a position he knows i.e DM

Lewis

Harrington    Devlin    Conso    Shinnie

Ball

McGinn        Ferguson        GMS

Forrester

Anderson

A woman is like beer. They look good, they smell good, and you’d step over your own mother just to get one!

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 66
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 11:52:03 AM »
thats pretty narrow mindset ? johnny foreigner cannot be in my team as we will have less of a team spirit.... if that is his view then he is thicker and more one dimensional than I first thought

I don't think it is view fortunately. I think his view is that it "can" take a player from another league setup longer to settle and that there are more similarities between our game and the english game that makes this less of a roulette. He'd have no problem with signing a foreigner who has been in the British leagues for example. I think that he'd be more likely to take a loanee from a foreign league if offered (like Hibs did with Kamberi) than make a full time signing due to the risk involved. It's all about risk, obviously. The important thing to note is that we'd be talking individuals that are offered to us on recommendation rather than us taking up scouting in country. As no-one as managed to come up with an example of a Scottish team that has/had a succesful scouting network outside of the UK, regularly returning players, then we have to assume that this is the correct approach.

In terms of Snoyle, we're ignoring the silent evidence here. Snoyle came to us as a result of a tip off. As we drifted into what can be described as a more permanent Dutch network (jimmy's brither) we uncovered Touzani (decent), Daal, De Visscher, Bus as well as various other trialists. Apart from the fact that Snoyle was blatantly average (and for some reason gets held in high regard), he was also an anomoly in our largely unsuccesful foray into the Dutch market where we found that targets were basically amateurs.

There's nothing one-dimensional to McInnes' approach, it's rational and fact-based. He has never ruled out foreigners, its just that the main target of our scouting network is the one where we have the most succesful return throughout the history of our football club outwith Scotland. Anyone outwith that scouting network, logically, will be based on a recommendation or a punt with little to lose (Uchechi, Chalali). There is probably an argument to say that we could go a little more international with our punts, but I think that the better approach would be not to bother at all.

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 20
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
Oh well 4th competitive game with no replacement for Rooney. Would like to think Anderson showing more attacking threat in 15 minutes than Cosgrove has in 3 games this season will mean he starts on Saturday. Would be tempted to go 4-4-2 with May up beside Anderson. Surely we don’t need 5 in midfield against Dundee. Would also play Harrington at right back at as I thought Ball was poor on Saturday. Not as bad as his cup final performance but still poor. Of course I have no idea what team McInnes will go with however.

In
Pub
Away End
Pub then family meal
2-0 Anderson and May
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:32:28 PM by Jute »

Offline LA-Don

• First Team Regular
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »
We are a long ball team at present. Can’t see anything but cosgrove starting.

Offline A llad insane

• First Team
  • Rating: 13
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
Looking forward to tomorrow, could be a bit of a struggle though with a makeshift defence & nowt up top, but hey!
Usually best playing surface in the Country at Dens. Hoping for a 2 1  ;D ;)

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
Hope those who go get to see a better display than the shite last weekend. Disappointed that we've not seen the signings dm expected before either of these games.

2-0 dons, McGinn and consi

Offline Ten Caat

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 36
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 02:21:01 PM »
May and Cosgrove start. Harrington on the bench

Feeling its a 3-5-2 but could be anything knowing Mcinnes. Fuck it Gleeson and Ball centre halves, Devlin on the wing and Consi to partner GMS up front. That'll throw the peh munchers  :rofl: