Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Flower Of Scotland Footage

SeeBass

Rocket, I know why we sang said anthem was there to hear their ignorance in person myself.  They actually started singing above nonsense as one got off train about 1pm.  Said to one Burnley bloke we'd had a nice chat up with that even me as an Englishman thought how 'uncool' it sounded and they'd only arrived thirty seconds beforehand!! 

As much as I love the song and what it advocates I couldn't bring myself to join in with a bunch of wankers, of which two thirds voted for No last Thursday. Even if it was just a response to their "Ingerlund Ingerlund Ingerlund" chant. Shower of fucking cretins.

Agreed, I only ever sing FOS if I can guarantee my company.  The thought of singing "and we can still rise now and be a nation again" that turned down the opportunity to actually do so turns my stomach.

Scotland voted for independence. We allowed (quite rightly) the 380000 or so English born residents and 100000 or so other eligible resident nationalities to participate in the referendum. Only around 10% of the English and around 60% of the "others" voted Yes. So discounting those No votes, or even discounting the English/others votes in total, either way the result would have been a Yes victory (52% to 48%)

FWIW I reckon Salmond goofed by going for it too soon. We know the under 30s are strongly in favour (nearly 80% in favour) but the older generation strongly Unionist...not surprising being born around WW2 or earlier, seeing creation of NHS, state pensions, welfare etc. Until that generation are mostly gone the numbers just dont stack up. I hope Sturgeon has the good sense to hang fire at least another 5 years to call another referendum as we cannot seriously expect another one for at least a generation should Indyref2 go the wrong way

Yeah but plenty Scots voted against it and I'll be dammed if I sing that with them. 

Re your other points I agree.  I've said since 2014 that we should wait as long as we can for natural wastage to run it's course.  Every year a lot more no voters than yes voters die.

Voting for devolution though.

Of course the same disaster scenarios were going to befall a Scotland devolved from their English overlords as were predicted in the independence referendum.

Although the devolved government was voted for, two thirds of Scotland either didn't want it or couldn't be arsed voting for it.

You'd get that attitude now "Oh no, nae another bloody vote"

Agreed, I only ever sing FOS if I can guarantee my company.  The thought of singing "and we can still rise now and be a nation again" that turned down the opportunity to actually do so turns my stomach.

Deary me min,at that moment it was just a bit of banter between the fans.Its like you're saying 'other people have a different view to me,..I'm not playing'    Lighten up a bit

I was at the 1990 Scotland v England grand slam rugby game where I think FOS was first sung as the "national anthem". That is a moment that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

What a game to be at! Probably the bestest ever.

I've never been to Murrayfield in my life * for sport. Missed the Hearts game last September as was driving up from London but heard the full commentary. Egg-chasing not my ting.

28 years ago though, I'll never forget that game and the most memorable thing about it for me was FoS. I had tingles in the spine and had to work hard on the old tear ducts which were welling up. We Scots don't do emotion, certainly not in public and I was in a heaving Dutch Mill.

Edit: just remembered I saw Bowie at Murrayfield. He was shite. China Girl stadium tour. That's not the name but that was his hit at the time.

Deary me min,at that moment it was just a bit of banter between the fans.Its like you're saying 'other people have a different view to me,..I'm not playing'    Lighten up a bit

You're right actually that's exactly what I'm saying and it's a perfectly legitimate choice to do so.  I'm not criticising anyone for having their different view or expecting them to change theirs just because mine is different. If I had been at the game I just wouldn't have sung it because it would have made me feel uncomfortable. Given this seems to bother you so much maybe it's you needs to lighten up a bit..... Or is your expectation that I should do something that I'm not comfortable with just to appease you?

What a game to be at! Probably the bestest ever.

I've never been to Murrayfield in my life * for sport. Missed the Hearts game last September as was driving up from London but heard the full commentary. Egg-chasing not my ting.

28 years ago though, I'll never forget that game and the most memorable thing about it for me was FoS. I had tingles in the spine and had to work hard on the old tear ducts which were welling up. We Scots don't do emotion, certainly not in public and I was in a heaving Dutch Mill.

Edit: just remembered I saw Bowie at Murrayfield. He was shite. China Girl stadium tour. That's not the name but that was his hit at the time.

My old man got tickets to both home games against England and France. I got first dibs on what game I wanted to go to. Being an impatient 17 year old at the time I almost took the France ticket. Thankfully, I did not. Funny enough, I just sent off for the Tom English book "The Grudge" which is all about that game and the back drop to it.

You're right actually that's exactly what I'm saying and it's a perfectly legitimate choice to do so.  I'm not criticising anyone for having their different view or expecting them to change theirs just because mine is different. If I had been at the game I just wouldn't have sung it because it would have made me feel uncomfortable. Given this seems to bother you so much maybe it's you needs to lighten up a bit..... Or is your expectation that I should do something that I'm not comfortable with just to appease you?

Simmie.